Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  205
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

1. Top Of Page | #81

User Info Menu

Re: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Interesting: Woke up this afternoon - due to working night shift this week - thinking about the pros @ cons of these Secondary filters (spin-on) Cellulose vs Synthetic.

Cellulose has showed to trap & hold water much more efficiently then the synthetic media but synthetic media will trap & hold much smaller contaminants as well as allow better flow & supposedly be able to handle staying in service longer.

DBF5814 /17 or FF5814 / 17 will be the Ones! (Depending all on availability)
    along with 4 powerful epoxy coated neodymium N45 magnets attached to both water separator & secondary filter -

I wish my brain would just shut off for short period of time.

EDIT: I am curious - brain will not shut down!
    For those that have this kit installed of even the Fass System - whom work or reside in states that have Long drawn out winters.
    Whats your thoughts on the Cold Weather Sleeve (1/2" EPDM Insulating Foam Sleeve) - (Used in HVAC installs) that slides over the filter? - to possibly help keep away any jelling issues.
    If I find I am having problems with gelled fuel, I have no problems with buying that sleeve.

I don't see any problems at least for me with gelled fuel and can always add it later.

Also hear you on not stopping was searching the web and found another kit I know nothing of it looks nice.

This one specifically says it uses stainless to stop galling.

http://westerndieselaz.com/2003-2019...el-filter-kit/

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

2. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #82

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CDIJeff View Post
    If I find I am having problems with gelled fuel, I have no problems with buying that sleeve.

I don't see any problems at least for me with gelled fuel and can always add it later.

Also hear you on not stopping was searching the web and found another kit I know nothing of it looks nice.

This one specifically says it uses stainless to stop galling.

http://westerndieselaz.com/2003-2019...el-filter-kit/
    Thanks for the additional information.

I just ordered the filter kit from Diesel Fuel Filter Kits and the universal filter head from Western Diesel.

My plan is to modify the Diesel Fuel Kit bracket and install the universal head.

This will give me the Stainless Steel threads for filter mounting.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #83

User Info Menu

OK - bob’s post got me really wondering - I decided to waste $12 & 1 quart of very clean additive enriched diesel fuel.

I went out to the garage - put on my coveralls - grabbed my filter wrench and my oil catch tub & slid under the rear of the truck and slowly began to remove my Donaldson (white series) fuel filter.
    I made about a quarter turn with the filter wrench - and was able to (slowly - easily) spin off the fuel filter. (smooth as silk)

I replaced with a Donaldson (blue series) synthetic media fuel filter - A much more efficient & better flowing fuel filter.
    I had no problems starting the new filter - Then I (Slowly) spun the filter up through the threads till she was nice & snug. (Not Gorilla tight)
    (Took maybe 7 min total time)

I feel so much better now knowing I will not have any future issues with this as long as I use fuel filters that do not have a aluminum top plate - (CAT).

I only wanted to post this for those thinking about buying the diesel fuel filter kit with the Baldwin base.
    You will have zero issues as long as you do not use the (CAT) fuel filter.

EDIT: Once warranty has ended & the engine bay is cleaned up - I will use that space to add a remote single or double stage oil by-pass kit - Thus the reason I like the fuel filter kit where it is at.
    (I have a anxiety with long hoses used for any type of lubricating oil) Shorter hoses = less chance of cut/slices (Leaks) Braided is my best friend.
    Either way has its Pros and Cons!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #84

User Info Menu

Just wanted to add be very cautious about adding any engine mounted filter brackets due to vibration and metal fatigue. Frame mounting is a much better option.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #85

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Just wanted to add be very cautious about adding any engine mounted filter brackets due to vibration and metal fatigue. Frame mounting is a much better option.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Very Well noted!

I have had friends add 1/4" thick rubber (Silicone) vibration-damping grommets between the brackets & engine mounted surface area with much success.

I do agree 100% - inside of the frame (Away from any type tire road debris) is a great mounting spot.
    Anything mounted (Outside) the frame has always made me very nervous (No Warm & Fuzzy Feelings).

10. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #86

User Info Menu

Another option with this Diesel Fuel Kit.

Donaldson P553207: Replacement 3 Micron Fuel Filter & Water Separator Filter.

This Donaldson fuel filter is a 3 micron fuel & water separator filter combo (1-14 Thread Pitch). It is 99% efficient at 3 microns, flows 100gph, and is 8-5/8 in overall length.

It also features a built in water drain on the bottom of the filter.

The Donaldson P569758 Clear Twist & Drain Water Collection Bowl is a nice addition that can be added to this filter for those who would like to visually see if there is any water in the bowl prior to opening up the drain.

With the water collection bowl added, this filter is the exact same length as the popular CAT 1R-0749.

This filter is also a common upgrade on any FASS Titanium aftermarket lift pump assembly, and can also be used on some aftermarket billet aluminum fuel filter head adapters on the Duramax diesel.

Donaldsons third generation of Synteq fuel filter water separator media uses both cellulose and meltblown synthetic layers to achieve the highest levels of fuel filtration performance.

This double-layered media increases particulate holding capacity and is a high performance water separator.

It has the ability for high efficiency emulsified water separation and can be used in both suction and pressure sides of fuel systems.

The polyester layer improves water separation and dirt holding capacity performance.

This media is ideal for critical applications or extended service intervals.

12. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #87

User Info Menu

Did the rear fuel filter on my friends truck with P551833.

I do have to say, the Donaldson has no room for error when installing.

Have to put that thing on dead perfect or it won't screw into the base.

This filter is also slightly wider/longer then the stock Mopar one not sure if that means anything other more surface area.

We were going to do that Black Market front fuel filter kit (Cat 0750 front filter swap).

Not going to lie we both didn't like the kit and the placement of the filter.

I am not saying this kit is bad in anyway we just weren't happy on how the final product would look and work.

The new cat filter just seemed to be in worse spot and harder to change then the cartridge style.

He might buy the western diesel setup since it's mounted closer to the front and easier to change.

I'll keep an update of what happens.

Next week should have everything to change my fuel filters and delete my front one with the bypass block.

IMG_20200918_180215__01.jpg

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #88

User Info Menu

Did the rear fuel filter on my friends truck with P551833.

I do have to say, the Donaldson has no room for error when installing.

Have to put that thing on dead perfect or it won't screw into the base.

This filter is also slightly wider/longer then the stock Mopar one not sure if that means anything other more surface area.

We were going to do that Black Market front fuel filter kit (Cat 0750 front filter swap).

Not going to lie we both didn't like the kit and the placement of the filter.

I am not saying this kit is bad in anyway we just weren't happy on how the final product would look and work.

The new cat filter just seemed to be in worse spot and harder to change then the cartridge style.

He might buy the western diesel setup since it's mounted closer to the front and easier to change.

I'll keep an update of what happens.

Next week should have everything to change my fuel filters and delete my front one with the bypass block.

IMG_20200918_180215__01.jpg
    Looks to me the Mopar filter is a little longer or is that just the angle of the picture?

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

16. Top Of Page | #89

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Looks to me the Mopar filter is a little longer or is that just the angle of the picture?

Just the angle the Donaldson is about an 1/8 inch longer & wider.

Almost thought it didn't fit because it was not screwing into the base, you have to get it exactly perfect or it wont work.

17. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #90

User Info Menu

Just the angle the Donaldson is about an 1/8 inch longer & wider.

Almost thought it didn't fit because it was not screwing into the base, you have to get it exactly perfect or it wont work.
    Yeah those rear filters you have to push up while turning.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

19. Likes SyN liked this post
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast