Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  205
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

1. Top Of Page | #61

User Info Menu

Re: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

@SyN, I am a machinist by trade.

I have made the statement on this forum in the past about like metals being threaded together galling.

I work in a maintenance shop where all we do is fix things that are broken.

I have seen it first hand and even done it first hand. Aluminum can stick to aluminum pretty easy especially if there is a slight burr on the threads.

The antiseize will help just be cautious about getting it into the fuel.

Swapping later to a fuel filter with steel threads would be an excellent choice.

2. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #62

User Info Menu

@16 Cummins - Thank You Sir!

I've already ordered a P551313 - It will be here Wednesday - I'm going to remove the 0750 tomorrow.
    After a bit of thinking - I'm not going to apply any A/S.

Thank You again for your knowledge & advice = Much Appreciated!

I found the FF5817 for $27 shipped...
    I also found the FF5814 for $29 shipped

EDIT: Ok - Donaldson is on!
    The Cat 1R-0750 fought me the whole way (removing it) until maybe 1-2 threads left at the bottom.
    At one point (after the first full turn - the filter some what locked up) - then I had to use the filter wrench the rest of the way - except for maybe the last 2 full turns.
    There was no smooth turn in the full removal - felt like sand was in every thread.

Sad thing is - after comparing the 2 filters side by side the Cat looks & feels so much more robust & better made then the Donaldson - JMHO.

Anyway - off with the 4 micron @ 99% filter & on with the 3 micron @ 99% filter.
    I have replaced many spin-on filters over my 56 yrs & I have never felt what I felt this morning - (similar to fingers on a chalk board) - I never thought about the aluminum on aluminum issue (galling) - well it's real.

Thanks to to all of you who contributed to this knowledge gained.

Next Winter - Either the Donaldson (Blue DBF5814-Small or DBF5817-Large) Or (Fleetguard FF5814 or 17) will be replacing the 1313 - all depends on availability at the time.

The cellulose media struggles hard to compete on Flow & Efficiency against the synthetic & nano-net media.
    But seems to be more efficient in trapping & holding H2O -

Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #63

User Info Menu

I wished I would have researched this kit a bit more & come across the possible issue with Galling (Aluminum on Aluminum)

6. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #64

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    @16 Cummins - Thank You Sir!

I've already ordered a P551313 - It will be here Wednesday - I'm going to remove the 0750 tomorrow.
    After a bit of thinking - I'm not going to apply any A/S.

Thank You again for your knowledge & advice = Much Appreciated!

I found the FF5817 for $27 shipped...

EDIT: Ok - Donaldson is on!
    The Cat 1R-0750 fought me the whole way (removing it) until maybe 1-2 threads left at the bottom.
    At one point (after the first full turn - the filter some what locked up) - then I had to use the filter wrench the rest of the way - except for maybe the last 2 full turns.
    There was no smooth turn in the full removal - felt like sand was in every thread.

Sad thing is - after comparing the 2 filters side by side the Cat looks & feels so much more robust & better made then the Donaldson - JMHO.

Anyway - off with the 4 micron @ 99% filter & on with the 3 micron @ 99% filter.
    I have replaced many spin-on filters over my 56 yrs & I have never felt what I felt this morning - (similar to fingers on a chalk board) - I never thought about the aluminum on aluminum issue (galling) - well it's real.

Thanks to to all of you who contributed to this knowledge gained.

Donaldson (White P551313 -Small / P551311-Large) or (Blue DBF5814-Small / DBF5817-Large) & Fleetguard FF5814 & 5817 will be my go to - all depends on availability at the time.
    Like I stated before - buying 3-4 at a time might be a smart desicion.
    Wow how many miles/km did you have that 0750 on for, I thought you just bought the kit?

Also nice info on the Kofil, have seen them around but never seen them recommend/used.

Last this is a little late but here is the best video I found to help you install this kit if anyone ends up buying it.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #65

User Info Menu

Jeff: That is the video I followed to help with the install. (Great Video)

The kit was just installed - I asked the right questions to the right folks & was instructed - The longer the Cat filter is intact the worse the galling becomes. (due to tiny vibrations from the driving) - that's what I was told.
    There is a possibility - my issue is one out of 500 that will experience this so called galling issue between 2 aluminum surfaces.

After removing that filter this morning & feeling the grinding resistance from spinning counter clockwise - I'm glad I did. (I totally thought I was stripping the threads on the filter base)
    Note: When I spun the Cat filter for the first time it was smooth as silk.

Once again as I stated above - I'm not recommending anything - only sharing my future plans & real time experience.

10. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #66

User Info Menu

Jeff: That is the video I followed to help with the install. (Great Video)

The kit was just installed - I asked the right questions to the right folks & was instructed - The longer the Cat filter is intact the worse the galling becomes. (due to tiny vibrations for the driving) - that's what I was told.
    There is a possibility - my issue is one out of 500 that will experience this so called galling issue between 2 aluminum surfaces.

After removing that filter this morning & feeling the grinding resistance from spinning counter clockwise - I'm glad I did. (I totally thought I was stripping the threads on the filter base)
    Note: When I spun the Cat filter for the first time it was smooth as silk.

Once again as I stated above - I'm not recommending anything - only sharing my future plans & real time experience.

EDIT: I was once set down & had this told to me by an elderly man.
    "Just because it was not your idea - Nor he is not doing what you are doing or using - Does not make him or his ideas wrong" "Don't be a simple minded follower" "Always be that one who thinking far outside that box"

Thank You
    Grand Dad!
    Okay, ill have to let you guys know how mine comes off, not going to lie I am going to be upset if it does have galling.

Might change it sooner then later, and install that front filter delete.

Same thing the cat screwed on with zero resistance, as you mentioned as smooth as silk.

Now I also want to see the inside of a Fleetguard FF5814 & 5817 compared to Donaldson.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

12. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #67

User Info Menu

Jeff - don't change it earlier due to my experience - like I said there are only a few reports of this taking place.

Mine definitly had a small amount already happening after 60 some miles.

This really stinks - cause I really liked the Cat design & how it's made - especially the 416-1225.

But yes please do report back when you chose to do it - hopefully it's as smooth as silk coming back off.

I was just thrilled to death - when the Donaldson screwed on with zero issues & smooth as well.

I honestly thought I totally (mauled up) the threads on the base & was going to have to replace the Baldwin Base.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #68

User Info Menu

Just so you guys don’t think I’m making this crap up - here is the wrench I needed to spin this filter off.

This yellow powder coat paint is thick & not easy to remove - I couldn’t even budge the filter by hand - even after I broke the gasket seal.

Attached Images Attached Images

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #69

User Info Menu

Just so you guys don’t think I’m making this crap up - here is the wrench I needed to spin this filter off.

This yellow powder coat paint is thick & not easy to remove - I couldn’t even budge the filter by hand - even after I broke the gasket seal.
    You put both reassurance that nothing should go wrong & fear that something will go wrong. Thanks LOL.

I'll take your advice and just wait for when I was going to change it anyway. Ill defiantly give an update of how it came off.

At-least I know it won't leak.

18. Likes SyN, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #70

User Info Menu

Only trying to be real & realistic.
    Sorry!