Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  205
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

1. Top Of Page | #51

User Info Menu

Re: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

Caterpillar info on the 0750 & 0749

The ratings are as follows for the 0750 filter : Media type=Cellulose - Effective media area 3810 cm squared.
    Filtration Efficiency (10L/min , 20 Base Upstream gravimetric level , 120KPa.
    Bx=75 - 4 microns 5 microns @ 100% , 10 microns @ 100%, 20 microns @ 100%.
    Retained capacity (10L/min , 20BUGL , 120 kPa).

Basically the 0750 & 0749 are a 4 micron (Absolute) @ 100% filter = which is pretty dang good - The UHE filters are said to be Sub 4 micron.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #52

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I agree 100%!

I did find myself a supplier of the Cat UHE 416-1225 w/Free shipping = $36.98 ---> (Maybe in time Cat will come out with a UHE replacement for the 0750)
    Donaldson DBF5814 = $24.85 shipped
    Donaldson DBF5817 = $27.77 shipped
    (The P551313 - 1311 - 1319) - Are all great replacements as well at 3 microns @ 99%.
    "I know for me - reading many articles on Donalsons (not the Blue Version) Quality Control has worsened over recent years - so I'm kinda leaning towards the 1225"

My Filter system - 3 filters in the loop.
    Secondary (Spin-On) Filter - Either the UHE 416-1225 or Blue DBF5817 - Depends on availability at the time = Changed every 20-25K miles.

Water Separator - KOFIL (4 micron @ 99%) = Changed between 10-15K miles.

Front Engine Filter - KOFIL (4 micron @ 99%) = Changed every 20-30K miles

Ok - I'm done! I've got my set up! Thanks Jeff for your legwork!
    Hopefully others can benefit - at least those who want to add additional fuel filtering.
    Nice, a three filter setup will definitely stop anything from entering your fuel system.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #53

User Info Menu

Just a bit of info from Bell Performance on Micron Ratings.

Just because a filter advertises 5-10 microns or 3 micron does not mean that's what it truthfully actually filters down to.

You need to know a lot more information then that - Most companies won't advertise or share the ACTUAL true micron ratings of their fuel filters.

The Filter Difference Between Then And Now

Old school diesel fuel filters used to have a typical rating of around 10-20 microns. It means they should filter out all particles above that given size, right? Not exactly. If a filter is “rated” at 10 microns, it means it should have “some ability” to capture particles as small as 10 microns. That’s a much different thing. And that’s an illustration that a filter labeled simply as “10 micron rating” actually isn’t telling you everything you need to know.

What you really need to know is the Nominal rating and the Absolute rating of the filter. A filter with a nominal rating of 10 microns would have shown, through testing, to catch 50-90% of particles 10 microns and above in size. So that’s a little better. If the filter has an absolute rating of 10 microns, it has to catch at least 98.7% of particles 10 microns and above. That’s actually what most people think the simple “10 micron rating” label is telling them, when it actually isn’t.

For common rail diesel engines, 10 or 20 micron filtration just wouldn’t do. If you have one of these engines, your fuel filter is going to be rated at 2-3 microns. And the industry is advancing toward 1 micron effective filtration.
    To give you some perspective, 40 microns is about the lowest limit of visibility that the human eye can detect. But 2 microns is the size of a single bacterial cell.

The Difference Between 10 And 2? Or Something Greater?

What’s the performance difference between a 10 micron filter and a 2 micron filter? You might think that it’s an 80% difference, since 2 is 80% less than 10. Or maybe you'd think it's a 5x different - 10 being five times as high as 2. But it’s actually much more than that.
    If you assume that the particles are all spherical or circular (which they won’t all be, but for illustrative purposes, we’ll go with that), there’s actually a 96% difference in the size of space they have that will allow particles to go through. 96% is more than 80%, but still doesn’t accurately depict how big a difference that is.

If you flip the math around, what you find is that the 10 micron filter allows 25x more to pass through than the 2 micron filter. Putting another way, there’s a 5x raw difference between 10 and 2, but a 25x difference in the space they have to allow contaminants through.
    So today’s common rail diesel fuel filters are going to be much, much more effective at protecting the engine.

Donaldson is the only Company that I have witnessed that actually shares the Absolute % Efficiency of their fuel filters.
    Caterpillar is slowly coming out of their shell and sharing a bit more information.

6. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #54

User Info Menu

I agree 100%!

I did find myself a supplier of the Cat UHE 416-1225 w/Free shipping = $36.98 ---> (Maybe in time Cat will come out with a UHE replacement for the 0750)
    Donaldson DBF8514 = $24.85 shipped
    Donaldson DBF8517 = $27.77 shipped
    (The P551313 - 1311 - 1319) - Are all great replacements as well at 3 microns @ 99%.
    "I know for me - reading many articles on Donalsons (not the Blue Version) Quality Control has worsened over recent years - so I'm kinda leaning towards the 1225"

My Filter system - 3 filters in the loop.
    Secondary (Spin-On) Filter - Either the UHE 416-1225 or Blue DBF8517 - Depends on availability at the time = Changed every 20-25K miles.

Water Separator - KOFIL (4 micron @ 99%) = Changed between 10-15K miles.

Front Engine Filter - KOFIL (4 micron @ 99%) = Changed every 20-30K miles

Ok - I'm done! I've got my set up! Thanks Jeff for your legwork!
    Hopefully others can benefit - at least those who want to add additional fuel filtering.
    So many part numbers and specifications in this thread, my head is spinning.

All great information, thanks guys.

I would like to clarify @SyN are you using the OEM filters with the Cat 416-1225? Is the 4 micron @ 99% referring to the OEM filters?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #55

User Info Menu

I deeply apologize Bob - I Ramble way to much - but my brain just takes off after a good 30 min warmup!

First question: No - Through about 4 hrs of wasted time today - I found very reliable info stating the FS53000 is yes a 5 micron outer layer - but a true 4 micron absolute (nano-net) @ 99% inner layer.
    Yes it was given a 3 micron rating - but at what true (absolute) % efficiency? - I was informed between 92-95% - for $50-$60!

Right now at this time - I still am running the original OEM FS53000 up front. (Filter has only 12K miles through it)

When I installed the diesel filter kit @ the rear - I installed the Cat 1R-0750 (that come with the kit) along with a Fleetguard FS20089 water seperator.

Now - since the new UHE version is a true Sub 4 micron @ 99% - I was going to order the 416-1225 for replacement after putting 15K miles through the 0750.
    But my new supplier is already out of stock with the 1225 - So change of future plans.

10. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #56

User Info Menu

I deeply apologize Bob - I Ramble way to much - but my brain just takes off after a good 30 min warmup!

First question: No - Through about 4 hrs of wasted time today - I found very reliable info stating the FS53000 is yes a 5 micron outer layer - but a true 4 micron absolute (nano-net) @ 99% inner layer.
    Yes it was given a 3 micron rating - but at what true (absolute) % efficiency? - I was informed between 92-95% - for $50-$60!

I've ordered a set of KOFIL - 4 micron (3 layers synthetic media) absolute 99% efficiency - Front Engine Filter & Rear Water Seperator (water removal @ 99% efficiency) - $36 for the set.

Right now at this time - I still am running the original OEM FS53000 up front. (Filter has only 12K miles through it)
    At the 15K mile mark - I will replace this filter with the 4 Micron rated KOFIL - Front engine mount filter

When I installed the diesel filter kit @ the rear - I installed the Cat 1R-0750 (that come with the kit) along with a Fleetguard FS20089 water seperator.

Now - since the new UHE version is a true Sub 4 micron @ 99% - I was going to order the 416-1225 for replacement after putting 15K miles through the 0750.
    But my new supplier is already out of stock with the 1225 - So change of future plans.

So at this time I'm running
    1. Up front - Original OEM FS53000
    2. Rear Water Seperator - Fleetguard FS20089
    3. Secondary Filter - Cat 1R-0750

Future Filters in service
    1. Up Front - KOFIL (4 micron @ 99%) polisher
    2. Rear Water Seperator - KOFIL
    3. Secondary Filter - Donaldson (white) P551313 or 1311
    I will sleep well at night with this final filter set up.

Yes I know ---->
    SyN Disclaimer: I'm by no means recommending this idea to others.
    This just made ideal sense to Me - Uncle - Service Mgr (Close personal friend)
    Okay, thanks for clarifying I have got it now. I didn’t know the KOFIL brand of filters. Found them on Amazon. All makes sense now.

Fuel Filter Water Separator Set Compatible with Dodge Ram 6.7L Cummins Diesel 2013-2018 2500 3500 4500 5500 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel Engines Replaces 68197867AA 68157291AA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086H77S6T..._5JCtFbFKR5P4W

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #57

User Info Menu

Question for the few that care.

I was advised last night about a possible issue with running an aluminum filter base with a filter with a aluminum filter housing (top portion of filter).

Thus the reason for the Diesel Filter Kit - advises while running the Cat filters to apply a bit of anti-seize on the threads of the filter base.

I will have no issues with switching to the Donaldson (white series) fuel filter.

So have any of you heard of this possible issue?

Some say the 2 aluminum surfaces - will some what fuse themselves together if left in contact for a period of time?

EDIT: Uncle just texted me to put eyes on the Fleetguard FF5814 - Upgraded 2 micron nano-net design.
    He just switched to it yesterday from the Donaldson Blue DBF5814 on his 2015.

14. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #58

User Info Menu

I was advised last night about a possible issue with running an aluminum filter base with a filter with a aluminum filter housing (top portion of filter).

Thus the reason for the Diesel Filter Kit - advises while running the Cat filters to apply a bit of anti-seize on the threads of the filter base.

I will have no issues with switching to the Donaldson (white series) fuel filter.

Some say the 2 aluminum surfaces - will some what fuse themselves together if left in contact for a period of time?

EDIT: Uncle just texted me to put eyes on the Fleetguard FF5814 - Upgraded 2 micron nano-net design.
    Just a note - he has been running the KOFIL kit for over a year & half with zero issues along with the Donaldson DBF5814.
    Thanks, more good information. Just to answer your question I think we have all experienced galvanic corrosion when mixing dissimilar metals like aluminum and steel. I personally have never heard of a problem mixing aluminum with aluminum. However there are many different aluminum alloys, so I suppose it’s possible. I guess when the aluminum corrodes the aluminum oxide could combine. Either way as you say the application of anti-seize should take care of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #59

User Info Menu

Thanks Bob: I as well have never heard of this issue - I’m also not sure I want to take a chance any anti-seize getting into the fuel system - if that’s possible?

You would think as many of these kits that have been sold if it was a major issue - more would be talked about it.

Once again: Thanks for all the thoughts & advice posted.
    Im learning more everyday-sorry if I’m being a thread hog or troll.

I found what I was told to look out for - Galling of threads.
    https://www.thefabricator.com/thefab...er-performance

This might be totally over analyzing this - I’m just trying to prep my kit with the proper- highest quality components.

Ok just for the sake of my sanity - I’m switching to a Donaldson after reading this again.
    I might put a tiny dab of anti-seize on the filter base threads. (Tiny)

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads...stion.1919905/

18. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #60

User Info Menu

Just a note - he has been running the KOFIL kit for over a year & half with zero issues along with the Donaldson DBF5814.
    Based on the same numbers as Donaldson.

The Fleetguard FF5814 I am guessing the FF5817 is the bigger version.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

20. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast