Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: 2008 RAM 2500 - Clunk/Click And Shutter

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2008 RAM 2500 - Clunk/Click And Shutter

The more I try to get this truck ready for our vacation...the more things I am finding. But...Had rather find them at home versus on the side of the road!

I have on a couple of occasions felt a minor shutter when gently accelerating from a stop. It only lasts a second or two. Today we took the camper out for its first tow (about a 60 mile run). When backing down our driveway very slowly I could hear and feel sort of a clunk or click. This was when we were just barely moving both going forward and reverse. To rule out the brakes I used the trailer brakes manually so I would not be on the truck brakes. The click/clunk was still there. After disconnecting the trailer I could not longer feel/hear this noise.

I started checking U-joints. At the transfer case rear output I found a couple of issues. There was just a tiny bit of movement in the U-joint. Then I noticed that the slip yoke was also moving up and down and I could feel slack. Not real happy about that! Does the slip yoke ride inside a bushing? If so, how difficult is this to change?

Also, any other guidance and suggestions regarding the shutter and click/clunk would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyTR View Post
    The more I try to get this truck ready for our vacation the more things I am finding, but I had rather find them at home versus on the side of the road!

I have on a couple of occasions felt a minor shutter when gently accelerating from a stop. It only lasts a second or two.

Today we took the camper out for its first tow (about a 60 mile run). When backing down our driveway very slowly I could hear and feel sort of a clunk or click. This was when we were just barely moving both going forward and reverse. To rule out the brakes I used the trailer brakes manually so I would not be on the truck brakes. The click/clunk was still there. After disconnecting the trailer I could not longer feel/hear this noise.

I started checking U-joints. At the transfer case rear output I found a couple of issues. There was just a tiny bit of movement in the U-joint. Then I noticed that the slip yoke was also moving up and down and I could feel slack. Not real happy about that! Does the slip yoke ride inside a bushing? If so, how difficult is this to change?

Also, any other guidance and suggestions regarding the shutter and click/clunk would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    A light click/clunk sound from a dead stop is commonly associated with your brake caliper slider pins dragging due to corrosion and/or lack of lube.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: 2008 RAM 2500 - Clunk/Click And Shutter

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    A light click/clunk sound from a dead stop is commonly associated with your brake caliper slider pins dragging due to corrosion and/or lack of lube.
    Thanks for the input. But, I did cover that in my second paragraph. "To rule out the brakes I used the trailer brakes manually so I would not be on the truck brakes. The click/clunk was still there. After disconnecting the trailer I could not longer feel/hear this noise." I do agree that the brakes have the potential to cause a similar sound.

Last week I did a complete brake service on the front and rear.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyTR View Post
    Thanks for the input. But, I did cover that in my second paragraph. "To rule out the brakes I used the trailer brakes manually so I would not be on the truck brakes. The click/clunk was still there. After disconnecting the trailer I could not longer feel/hear this noise." I do agree that the brakes have the potential to cause a similar sound.

Last week I did a complete brake service on the front and rear.
    I missed that part in the midst of my multi-tasking.

You did grease the caliper slide pins, correct?

If the brakes/hardware are good I'd replace the u-joints since your said there was play in them.

Did you check the front axle u-joints or just the rear?

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

LOL... Man....I do understand the multitasking dilemma!

Yes, the slide pins and calipers were cleaned and then greased. The only u-joint that I found loose was at the front of the rear driveshaft (one piece shaft). There is just a tiny bit of play in that one. But the slip yoke that that u-joint attaches to has play inside the transfer case tailpiece. Yes, All three u-joints on the front drive shaft are tight. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    I missed that part in the midst of my multi-tasking.

You did grease the caliper slide pins, correct?

If the brakes/hardware are good I'd replace the u-joints since your said there was play in them.

Did you check the front axle u-joints or just the rear?

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Its not uncommon to feel a shudder type sensation when accelerating from a dead stop when towing with a leaf spring vehicle.

The leaf springs will wrap up under torsional load from the axle causing the drive line angle to get thrown off, this results in u-joint binding that you can feel.

This would explain why you only feel the shudder when loaded.

If you put the truck in neutral with the parking brake on and get under the truck you should be able to check the u-joints for play by rotating the driveshaft back and forth.

Sounds like you already did that.

If there is any play whatsoever in the u-joint it is bad and needs to be replaced.

If your going to do one do them both.

Having a little up and down play in the slip yoke is not something I would be concerned with unless it is significant.

12. Thanks FlyboyTR, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

@Aj Grubb beat me to my next comment, axle wrap.

May or may not be an issue with you but all of my 3rd Gens had noticeable axle wrap.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Likes watersupply189, Aj Grubb liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Interesting stuff. The shutter at the moment/beginning of forward movement (accelerating) was never felt with the trailer attached...only empty. The click/clunk sound was felt with the trailer attached and in my driveway, just barely moving. It was there both slowly moving forward or backward. It was also there when I only used the trailer brakes to take the truck brakes out of the picture. Hopefully today I can shoot a little video of the slip yoke play at the transfer case.

Axle wrap.... I can see that happening with a heavy load and pulling hard from a stop.

Please know how much I appreciate all the input and guidance. Good stuff!

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

If I was a betting man I would say it’s your u-joints.

Standing by for the video. LOL

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes