Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Stop And Go Traffic Overheating

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Stop And Go Traffic Overheating

Hello I have a 99 Dodge RAM 2500 with the 47RE 2wd.

Recently I have noticed that I have been having an overheat condition both tranny and coolant temp go up.

The hottest I’ve seen my tranny go is 230, engine has gone 217, but this happened once but I have noticed that in stop and go it starts to slowly come up, and won’t go down unless I throw it in neutral and bring up RPMs.

I have flushed my coolant checked and checked for any restrictions.

No coolant leaks topped off transmission fluid, change fan clutch and just finished replacing T-stat.

I haven’t done a pressure test YET but will soon.

I just wanted to know if there’s any possibility the heat from the trans cooler could cause engine to heat up and not come down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks AnOldBiker, SyN thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by J-graje7 View Post
    Hello I have a 99 Dodge RAM 2500 with the 47RE 2wd.

Recently I have noticed that I have been having an overheat condition both tranny and coolant temp go up.

The hottest I’ve seen my tranny go is 230, engine has gone 217, but this happened once but I have noticed that in stop and go it starts to slowly come up, and won’t go down unless I throw it in neutral and bring up RPMs.

I have flushed my coolant checked and checked for any restrictions.

No coolant leaks topped off transmission fluid, change fan clutch and just finished replacing T-stat.

I haven’t done a pressure test YET but will soon.

I just wanted to know if there’s any possibility the heat from the trans cooler could cause engine to heat up and not come down.
    What degree of thermostat did you put in and have you check the radiator etc for any blockages/debris that would prevent good airflow?

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes watersupply189, AnOldBiker, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    What degree of thermostat did you put in and have you check the radiator etc for any blockages/debris that would prevent good airflow?
    I got a 190*.

I have read the 180* isn’t good for these trucks but I never figured why, and yes I did everything looks good.

The radiator isn’t even externally dirty at all fairly clean and like I said no leaks.

6. Likes watersupply189, AnOldBiker, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Re: Stop And Go Traffic Overheating

I would suspect that your fan clutch isn't working. Can you hear the fan when the engine is hot like that?

8. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

@J-graje7

I've had issues with other than Cummins stats, and when installing a stock Cummins stat, nothing since.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post
    I would suspect that your fan clutch isn't working. Can you hear the fan when the engine is hot like that?
    I would too if I hadn’t just replaced it LOL, I’m sorry I’m barely getting back this thing doesn’t notify me when someone’s commented on my post. But I do not seem to hear any difference in sound or anything honestly, could it be a bad unit? Literally replaced it a week ago

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    @J-graje7

I've had issues with other than Cummins stats, and when installing a stock Cummins stat, nothing since.
    I have been hearing that quite often.

Maybe I’ll give a Cummins stat a try.

I just don’t know what else to do, the only things I haven’t replaced are my water pump, because it’s brand new and my radiator cap.

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Sometimes new parts can still be bad parts, especially if its some cheap offshore brand.... But if your coolant temps are around 220 and you put the truck in neutral and rev the engine you should for sure be hearing that fan doing some serious blowing.

15. Likes J-graje7, watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post
    Sometimes new parts can still be bad parts, especially if its some cheap offshore brand.... But if your coolant temps are around 220 and you put the truck in neutral and rev the engine you should for sure be hearing that fan doing some serious blowing.
    I’ve never actually allowed to go past 117, usually once I see 210 I’ll just throw it in neutral and rev it till they somewhat go down.

I’ll take a closer listen next time, maybe I’m just not hearing it. or something.

This is a whole new issue to me I’ve never had this type of trouble with it, but I guess it could also be temps outside we’ve had 100+.

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post