Likes Likes:  62
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harness Problems

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Harness Problems

Hello Cummins Fam.

I’m new to this forum and to the Cummins fam.

I took my truck to the dealer a few days ago due to a check engine light service electronic throttle control to be exact.

Today I got my truck back and the dealer is talking about replacing the harness and computer which is about $8000.00 plus they want to replace the harness first and take it from there.

If that doesn’t work the computer which feels like a guessing diagnostic.

I can’t afford to pay that much so I’m taking the challenge to check the harness myself and yes I’m mechanical incline.

I need help finding the wiring Schematics for this truck please.

2017 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie so I can check which cable or cables are damage.

I used my scanner today and I can see the second throttle control keeps cutting off and when that happens I loose pedal respond.

Any help is very appreciated it thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks AnOldBiker, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Harness Problems

@fjtools

Hang in there a bit, someone with the '17 manual should be on soon.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes fjtools, watersupply189, david3gen, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    @fjtools

hang in there a bit, someone with the '17 manual should be on soon
    Thank you, just trying to figure out the way the harness run to test the wiring.

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

No warranty?

Boy they want to dive right in on a truck without warranty I guess.

Are you a left foot brake user by chance.

Applying pressure to throttle and brake at same time can cause this.

Even if your not a left foot brake user, does this come on always right after a stop?

Use your left foot and pull the brake pedal up, it could even be as simple as a brake light switch.

If you have to start digging into some wiring, check the loom going through the drivers side firewall.

There have been some known problems in that area.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

8. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, fjtools liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    No warranty?

Boy they want to dive right in on a truck without warranty I guess.

Are you a left foot brake user by chance.

Applying pressure to throttle and brake at same time can cause this.

Even if your not a left foot brake user, does this come on always right after a stop?

Use your left foot and pull the brake pedal up, it could even be as simple as a brake light switch.

If you have to start digging into some wiring, check the loom going through the drivers side firewall.

There have been some known problems in that area.

Good luck!

Hello, I have warranty but doesn’t cover the harness for some reason, is not the factory warranty is an aftermarket one, cover the computer but not the harness, I don’t drive with two feet, I read about it too. I’ll do that, check the area by the firewall, thank you

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yeah ok. Maybe have someone watch, or back up to something that allows you to see the reflection of your brake lights in the mirror. Make sure they are going out when you let off the brake pedal. If there's a bad switch or something it could be giving your truck the signal that the brake and skinny pedal are being pressed together at same time, even though you're not. I'd hope the dealer you took it to would of checked all that, but I just have a guess they didnt.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

12. Likes fjtools, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    Yeah ok. Maybe have someone watch, or back up to something that allows you to see the reflection of your brake lights in the mirror. Make sure they are going out when you let off the brake pedal. If there's a bad switch or something it could be giving your truck the signal that the brake and skinny pedal are being pressed together at same time, even though you're not. I'd hope the dealer you took it to would of checked all that, but I just have a guess they didnt.

I’ll be doing that, thank you I’m I I’m appreciate it

14. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fjtools View Post
    I’ll be doing that, thank you I’m I I’m appreciate it

Also this is what shows with no power.

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Did you or anyone check the accelerator pedal position sensor?

18. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, fjtools, Power247 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fjtools View Post
    Hello Cummins Fam.

I’m new to this forum and to the Cummins fam.

I took my truck to the dealer a few days ago due to a check engine light service electronic throttle control to be exact.

Today I got my truck back and the dealer is talking about replacing the harness and computer which is about $8000.00 plus they want to replace the harness first and take it from there.

If that doesn’t work the computer which feels like a guessing diagnostic.

I can’t afford to pay that much so I’m taking the challenge to check the harness myself and yes I’m mechanical incline.

I need help finding the wiring Schematics for this truck please.

2017 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie so I can check which cable or cables are damage.

I used my scanner today and I can see the second throttle control keeps cutting off and when that happens I loose pedal respond.

Any help is very appreciated it thank you in advance.

Welcome friend. Hate your having issues on a 3 year old truck. Is it out of warranty completely?

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

20. Likes david3gen, AK Bob, fjtools liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast