Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Should I Install a Draw Straw? Who Makes The Best?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Should I Install a Draw Straw? Who Makes The Best?

I have a 2001 Dodge RAM 2500.

I am looking at installing a FASS 100G Titanium series and the truck currently has an old fass system on it and was on there when I bought it.

It looks as if whoever installed it abandoned the engine mounted lift pump and left it on there so I'm assuming it was never converted to an in tank pump before the fass,and as far as the tank sending unit goes it doesn't appear to have a draw straw on it.

Should I put one on it?

Do I need it?

Who makes the best one to where it should pretty much remain trouble free?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Should I Install a Draw Straw? Who Makes The Best?

Quote Originally Posted by C-MAN View Post
    I have a 2001 Dodge RAM 2500.

I am looking at installing a FASS 100G Titanium series and the truck currently has an old fass system on it and was on there when I bought it.

It looks as if whoever installed it abandoned the engine mounted lift pump and left it on there so I'm assuming it was never converted to an in tank pump before the fass,and as far as the tank sending unit goes it doesn't appear to have a draw straw on it.

Should I put one on it?

Do I need it?

Who makes the best one to where it should pretty much remain trouble free?
    A sump is much more reliable in my opinion.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Thanks C-MAN thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I run a sump as well with my airdog 165.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

5. Thanks C-MAN thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

If you don’t see an old draw straw or sump currently on it where is it drawing fuel from?

Where do the lines lead from the old FASS?

I would assume they’re probably using the old sending unit as the draw straw, if you don’t see any thing additional on the top or bottom of the tank.

I would agree with the others. Go for a sump. Better off in my opinion. I’m fighting a similar issue on mine.

Someone installed a draw straw on my truck and I want to sump it, but now I have to find another fuel tank and start over.

7. Thanks C-MAN thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The way the FASS is set up right now it is using the stock sending unit ports to pull fuel and return fuel still has stock line from VP44 with fass itself returning through filler neck splice.

I 100% agree on going the sump route! drawing fuel from the stock strainer basket to me seems like trying to suck a golfball through a garden hose LOL especially if the screens are clogged.

9. Likes Mdavlee liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I just used a sump on my 19 so if I wanted to pull the FASS off later or sell the truck I can plug the sump and plug the factory pump back in and not mess up the fuel canister.

11. Likes C-MAN liked this post