Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Replace Squealing Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

1. Top Of Page | #1

Replace Squealing Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Hey so I have the Exhaust Brake Squeal and the truck seems a little down on power.

Before I start tearing off the exhaust manifold I have one question.

Is it true the used, heat cycled exhaust manifold is difficult/impossible to put back on the studs?

Do you really need a new manifold?

15 RAM 4500
    Bone stock Cummins

Many thanks.

2. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Replace Squealing Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by hucklberry View Post
    Hey so I have the Exhaust Brake Squeal and the truck seems a little down on power.

Before I start tearing off the exhaust manifold I have one question.

Is it true the used, heat cycled exhaust manifold is difficult/impossible to put back on the studs?

Do you really need a new manifold?

15 RAM 4500
    Bone stock Cummins

Many thanks.
    Great question, hopefully someone will know the answer.

Last fall my #1cylinder exhaust manifold connection started leaking, sounded like blowing through two blades of grass very loud when letting off the throttle with exhaust brake on.

I found both stud spacers could be rotated by hand when cold because both studs were sheared off.

Now maybe I got lucky, but I was able to just replace both studs without removing the manifold and left the original gasket in place.

Hard to reach the lower stud, but torqued them both to 39 Ft. Lbs. and haven’t had any problems or leaks since.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Re: Replace Squealing Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Great question, hopefully someone will know the answer.

Last fall my #1cylinder exhaust manifold connection started leaking, sounded like blowing through two blades of grass very loud when letting off the throttle with exhaust brake on.

I found both stud spacers could be rotated by hand when cold because both studs were sheared off.

Now maybe I got lucky, but I was able to just replace both studs without removing the manifold and left the original gasket in place.

Hard to reach the lower stud, but torqued them both to 39 Ft. Lbs. and haven’t had any problems or leaks since.
    Great info! Same thing going on here.

Thanks for the torque spec too!

6. Likes AK Bob liked this post