Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Coolant Smell

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Coolant Smell

Good afternoon all.

I am having some issues with my coolant system and was wondering if anyone could point out something I may have overlooked.

First let me say that DRD provided the best service, and amazing products.

I have a 2017 cummins full deletes, including removal of the egr cooler.

I replaced the radiator ( at 26k miles / less than a month ago ) as it was leaking, with a mishimoto aluminum, and after a pressure test found the water pump was also leaking, which was replaced.

I recently drove the truck about 6700 miles out west and back from Florida, and on my way back noticed the same coolant smell from before.

Checked under the hood and found the upper radiator hose clamp was not making a good seal.

Which I fixed, while continuing on my way home stilled smelled the coolant when we stopped for fuel or rooms at night.

I continually check the coolant and found nothing, the truck didn't get hot, coolant dropped maybe and eighth of an inch in the coolant tank, after the upper hose was fixed.

Once I got home I found the thermostat housing was leaking, so I fixed that as well.

After a few days of sitting I checked the coolant level again, and it dropped again more than 1/4 of an inch in the coolant tank.

I have combed this truck with a microscope and found nothing.

Typically with the OAT coolant it will produce a crust when a leak appears, but I have been unsuccessful in locating anything, since all of the other leaks have been repaired.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Coolant Smell

Keep an eye on it.

It very well could be left over coolant from the prior leaks you're smelling.

Probably is.

As to the coolant level?

Watch it like a hawk but don't be surprised if it doesn't go down any further.

Once you lose coolant, even a small amount, it can take a little bit for the level to stabilize.

And don't over-tighten your hose clamps.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=malibu1980;193414]Good afternoon all.

I am having some issues with my coolant system and was wondering if anyone could point out something I may have overlooked.

I replaced the radiator ( at 26k miles / less than a month ago ) as it was leaking, with a mishimoto aluminum, and after a pressure test found the water pump was also leaking, which was replaced.

I recently drove the truck about 6700 miles out west and back from Florida, and on my way back noticed the same coolant smell from before.

Checked under the hood and found the upper radiator hose clamp was not making a good seal.

Which I fixed, while continuing on my way home stilled smelled the coolant when we stopped for fuel or rooms at night.

I continually check the coolant and found nothing, the truck didn't get hot, coolant dropped maybe and eighth of an inch in the coolant tank, after the upper hose was fixed.

Once I got home I found the thermostat housing was leaking, so I fixed that as well.

After a few days of sitting I checked the coolant level again, and it dropped again more than 1/4 of an inch in the coolant tank.

Typically with the OAT coolant it will produce a crust when a leak appears, but I have been unsuccessful in locating anything, since all of the other leaks have been repaired. Check the engine coolant lines as they leave the engine. I found mine there when I encountered the same Sir. Great luck

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

UHHH LOL not sure how I did that but did you ck the engine coolant lines as they exit the engine? I had simular problem and that's where I found my resolve

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I will do that.

Funny enough there isn't any coolant on the ground below the truck, and none of the suspension is wet beneath the truck.

Thanks again for the response.

I am also going to pressure test the coolant system again.

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by malibu1980 View Post
    Good afternoon all.

Typically with the OAT coolant it will produce a crust when a leak appears, but I have been unsuccessful in locating anything, since all of the other leaks have been repaired.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    For what it's worth, @F350Cummins had that problem on his '16.

Turned out it was the coolant tank.

Check that out.

Drove Alex nuts.

It was more fun changing it.

Just in time to total the truck.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    For what it's worth, @F350Cummins had that problem on his '16.

Turned out it was the coolant tank.

Check that out.

Drove Alex nuts.

It was more fun changing it.

Just in time to total the truck.
    Check coolant tank. mine started seeping at the seams. would take about a quart every 2500 miles when it first started.

I didn't see it seeping out until it got much worse.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Had the same thing happen to me.

Come to find out the stand pipe for the EGR cooler was leaking and a new o ring fixed it right up.

Wasn't leaking very much maybe a half of a quart in a 7 day period, but the smell drove me nuts keep and eye on it and look for the white crusty evidence from the coolant after it dries.

15. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post