Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  46
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Airbag Deployment During Head On Accident

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

No Airbag Deployment During Head On Accident

So Last Thursday evening, I was hit head on, at a recorded speed of 45 at the moment of impact, 48 prior to what little reaction time there was (speed recorded by dash camera video below).

The other vehicle involved was a 4 dr wrangler (his airbags deployed).

Well as you can tell from the thread title, my airbags did not go off.

Worked with insurance, and now FCA called, and emailed for more information.

They also asked to be in contact with insurance to be able to inspect the truck.

One of the first things @Polaraco said, was about the airbags not deploying.

Does anyone have any insight into the newer airbag workings?

What I can tell you:
    All updates and recalls current as of 2/7/20

I did have a Go Rhino bumper with Winch on the front. (company has made a statement it does not effect airbags)

What can I expect from from FCA?

Will the missing parts from the infamous pothole have any effect?

Video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OFk...ew?usp=sharing

Pictures:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by F350Cummins; 07-28-2020 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added pictures
    2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

2. Thanks watersupply189, Murph, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: No Airbag Deployment During Head On Accident

YIKES!

They turned right into you.

We also can't believe the airbags didn't deploy.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

That's a pretty green truck in the back ground. You should buy it. LOL

I want compensation for the mud pile we washed out of that in my driveway!

Now I have another hill!!! LOL

I also said it was totaled.

@F350Cummins

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I totaled my truck in March of this year. A boy that had just turned 21 pulled out in front of me and lost his life. I was running about 45 mph also and struck him in the driver's side of a S-10 truck. The airbags didn't deploy on my truck and my insurance agent suspects it was because I never touched the brakes until after impact. Missing parts didn't effect mine but I wasn't dealing with FCA.

I had my 5 year old son in the backseat and after that accident and we were ok, I decided that I would definitely buy another Ram.

That video really hit home.20200311_145608.jpg20200312_153501.jpg20200312_153535.jpg20200312_153008.jpg

Last edited by 16 Cummins; 07-28-2020 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added more info

7. Thanks watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    So Last Thursday evening, I was hit head on, at a recorded speed of 45 at the moment of impact, 48 prior to what little reaction time there was (speed recorded by dash camera video below). The other vehicle involved was a 4 dr wrangler (his airbags deployed). Well as you can tell from the thread title, my airbags did not go off. Worked with insurance, and now FCA called, and emailed for more information. They also asked to be in contact with insurance to be able to inspect the truck. One of the first things @Polaraco said, was about the air bags not deploying.

Does anyone have any insight into the newer airbag workings?

What I can tell you:
    All updates and recalls current as of 2/7/20
    I did have a Go Rhino bumper with Winch on the front. (company has made a statement it does not effect airbags)

What can I expect from from FCA?
    Will the missing parts from the infamous pothole have any effect?

Video:

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OFkGs_5Tn1-Ig09dT6OdP5IpPuAf5Nw0/view?usp=sharing[/url]

Pictures:
    Wow!

I hope nobody was seriously injured?

Looks like it happened right in front of the police.

As for your airbags there should be two sensors that have to activate in the front bumper at the same time to deploy the airbags.

Either one of them didn’t quite get pushed back to activate or there is an issue with the airbag system.

If there was an issue with your airbag system I’m surprised the airbag light didn’t illuminate detecting a problem.

Being in the fire service I’ve seen much worse damage to the front end with no bag deployment because both sensors didn’t activate or the damage was just above the bumper.

You having a heavy aftermarket bumper both sensors might not of activated.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

9. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I hope all are okay.

Glad you are feeling well enough to post.

I have no first hand knowledge but with what I know about FCA is they will blame the lack of deploying on your bumper.

Overall it seems the bumper did its job!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

11. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

My first thought was FCA probably wont even actually go inspect it, but then I was like who involved them to begin with? Does the insurance company want to know why the bags didnt work, or you? But my guess would be the bumper also. And even if the bumper is not the cause, I'd bet it takes any liability off them because of the modification. But again I'm not saying anyone is looking for liability. I'm just glad you're here to tell us about it, and hope everyone involved was ok as well.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

13. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

The best thing is you are OK. Rigs can be replaced, good people cannot. When I see things like this it makes me feel better about no longer being a full time truck driver. It seems to be getting exponentially worse out there every year. I am in management now and have to view drive cams like this as part of my job. It is amazing how fast it happens. Luckily law enforcement was right there and hopefully witnessed it. Not having the airbags deploy makes it even scarier. Given the truck now has frame damage they will most likely consider it totaled. Hopefully FCA will take interest and make it worth your while to remain a loyal RAM owner

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

15. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Holy cow!!! Man I am glad you made ok and hope the other driver is too.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

17. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aboshan View Post
    The best thing is you are OK. Rigs can be replaced, good people cannot. When I see things like this it makes me feel better about no longer being a full time truck driver. It seems to be getting exponentially worse out there every year. I am in management now and have to view drive cams like this as part of my job. It is amazing how fast it happens. Luckily law enforcement was right there and hopefully witnessed it. Not having the airbags deploy makes it even scarier. Given the truck now has frame damage they will most likely consider it totaled. Hopefully FCA will take interest and make it worth your while to remain a loyal RAM owner
    The officer did witness it, and caught most of it on his dash cam (what was in front of him) The police report is pretty cut dry and simple likely due to the officer as a witness.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

19. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast