Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Mileage?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Bad Mileage?

So I have a 2017 RAM 2500 G56 with a leveling kit with new 35s 12.5 18 Ridge Grapplers.

Recently deleted with DRD and a 4 inch straight pipe.

EGR is still intact even though I have a eBay kit to remove it.

I've just been lazy.

Anywho I have a roughly 3500# travel trailer and maybe 800# added in the bed.

I recently pulled it to oregon about 6 hours away.

I felt with that light of a trailer and a few extras I should be getting 14 mpg or so, but I'm down in the 9 to 11 mpg range.

Does this seem normal? Or is something I'm missing?

I get wind and hills don't help and I will add I still have stock clutch that will need to be changed soon as I've went up some hills and felt it slip.

I feel like I have to baby it through the gears, so it doesn't slip when I give it power.

Anywho back to mpg. Is that good or bad without any load I get about 18 to 20 on highway.

Thank you all for any input this it my first diesel so I came to the noob questions LOL.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Bad Mileage?

What level tune are you using and what speed are you driving?

Pulling about 9000 lbs I see 10 mpg at 75 mph using the +30 tune.

I drop the speed to 60 and it's up around 14-15.

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

4. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Bad Mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by Aboshan View Post
    What level tune are you using and what speed are you driving?

Pulling about 9000 lbs I see 10 mpg at 75 mph using the +30 tune.

I drop the speed to 60 and it's up around 14-15.
    0 which is the +30 tune.

Between 65 and 70 mph.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Bad Mileage?

When it comes to towing, it's not so much the trailer weight as the air displacement that affects MPGs.

You may see a little closer to 11-12 if conditions are perfect but not likely much more than that pulling a TT.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Likes watersupply189, Dtrust68, SyN, Murph liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Bad Mileage?

When towing your MPGs are going to SUCK.

However I can also see your truck getting the same MPGs towing something twice that weight once you replace the clutch.

Our first trip with our 20'2" 4200lb tow hauler got us 10mpgs and I was happy LOL.

Compared to my F150's mpgs of like 7-8mpg.

Running bigger tires with an aggressive tread it a major killer in MPGs.

In my F150, I had the stock tires and got 17mpg all day long driving to and from work.

Replaced them with dynapro ATs, which were actually 4lbs less per tire in weight, but a more aggressive tread pattern, and my mileage dropped to 15-15.5 doing the same speeds, on the same route.

Getting your clutch replaced should help you out a little because the longer you accelerate in lower gears, the more fuel you'll burn.

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

10. Likes Power247, watersupply189, Dtrust68, SyN, Murph liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Bad Mileage?

Yes sir that sounds about right.

I average 17-19 empty and when pulling 12k pound trailer and tractor I average around the 9-11 mark using 30hp tune.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

12. Likes SyN, Murph, Power247 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Re: Bad Mileage?

My truck is still stock with 35s 12.5 18, and without a trailer, ill get 17-19 but as soon as i put a trailer on, regardless of size, ill drop down to 9-11. I get the same milage pulling a 20,000# load as i do when i pull a lawn mower trailer, granted i probably drive faster with the little trailer. This has bewildered me as well but all i can figure is the extra axle or two adds just enough rolling resistance to tank my mpg.

2016 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Cummins Deleted

14. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

There's going to be 100s of different replies when it comes to a fuel mileage thread. From the guy stock getting 20mpg, to the guy tuned getting 30mpg towing a 40 foot loaded gooseneck. To the OP, I'd say that's pretty good, and you might of expected too much. I use to get 8-10 towing, and like some said already it almost didnt matter what I was pulling. I have never bought a diesel truck thinking I was gonna get great mileage though. I buy them to work. And trust me when I see these numbers you all should be happy you dont own a Dirtymax LOL. I can barely pull off 17 tuned.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

16. Likes watersupply189, Dtrust68, SyN, Power247 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

seeing your guys numbers empty is making me jealous.. i need to go down the rabbit hole soon. i'm getting 13.7-14.1 with my 35's and level kit stock LOL

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

18. Likes watersupply189, Murph, Power247 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone.

I guess it's about right.

Now to decide which dual disk clutch to get.

When the money is right of course.

Thanks again.

20. Thanks Murph thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast