Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  96
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trying To Reduce EGTs While Towing

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Re: Trying To Reduce EGTs While Towing

Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    I'm curious, where is the recommended location sir?

I've read on here that EGT's at the end of the manifold where the block off plate is located can be 100 to 200 cooler than say within a closer proximity to the exhaust port where I plumb EGT probes on a reciprocating aircraft engine which is two inches down from the flange.

With other locations downstream on a recip engine as you would imagine the temps are way different.

I currently do not have my Cummins probed as I'm not towing yet.

So I have no comparison from my perspective.

Great topic and thx!
    I tapped my probe just back of center on the side of the exhaust manifold that faces out at you.

I did a Google search and Genos has a good photo of it.

You have to take the front, passenger wheel liner out, and its a reach to work at it, but it can be done pretty easily.

I tried to use a magnet to collect shavings, the stuff that fell in didn't cause any issues.

Just try to pull bit out to clear it more often, especially when you get closer to popping through.

It's pretty thick material, so it will take a sharp drill bit!

I still have my egr installed, so block off plate is not an option

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post
    So, this is the best setup I have found for my truck when hauling:
    Lowest setting of my tune selection
    5th gear
    No A/C
    Under 65mph-I try to keep my rpm from 2200-2400

If any of the above is not used, egts climbed to 1300-1400 on any pulls up hill(but thats max), but follow the rules, and my mpgs are almost 2mpg better, and usually 1100 max up hill, and 800 average cruising. Once you find the sweet spot its all good.

I have to admit, we had about an 8 hour drive from Maine to South Jersey the other day, and I beat on it a bit pushing close to 70mph, A/C on, with higher egts, rpms, and my mpgs hovered around 9.2 mpg. Normally I can do low 11mpgs. Its all about how hard you push it.
    9.2-9.5 is about what I'm getting now. That is with AC on and cruising 65-70 maybe a bit over 70 sometimes. I'm not worried about it, as long as the EGTs stay safe and the motor doesn't get hurt.

I live in south NJ.

4. Thanks MightyZ thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, watersupply189, MightyZ liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

That is not my experience. I had the same Issue as the OP. I did a grid heater delete and upgraded the intake to a pusher 3.5. I achieved a drastic reduction in EGTs from those two mods alone. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 degrees F lower, and now I can tow much easier without my alarm going off at 1250 degrees. I'm running 2010 ram 2500, DRD tunes, deleted, 4" turbo back with muffler, EGT probe mounted in the manifold collector pre-turbo.

6. Thanks SyN, MightyZ thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, MightyZ, michaelrc51 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

Nice, we are in Ocean View, NJ currently, headed south slowly for the fall and winter.

Home is wherever we park!

8. Likes michaelrc51, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brentbrennan View Post
    That is not my experience. I had the same Issue as the OP. I did a grid heater delete and upgraded the intake to a pusher 3.5. I achieved a drastic reduction in EGTs from those two mods alone. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 degrees F lower, and now I can tow much easier without my alarm going off at 1250 degrees. I'm running 2010 ram 2500, DRD tunes, deleted, 4" turbo back with muffler, EGT probe mounted in the manifold collector pre-turbo.
    That is great!

I'm guessing the grid heater was sooted up and not allowing enough airflow. I guess the larger intake elbow and heater delete got you a lot more airflow.

Aftermarket intercooler and hard pipes would help as well.

Since I am basically over my payload with my current trailer I am thinking of going 3500 and/or dually.

I'll definitely do these mods on my next truck as I should have it for a long time. Sucks, I was hoping to have this truck for a long time.....wish I knew more about the numbers before I bought my 2500.

10. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

For what it is worth I have a 14 Mega Dually with a 68 and 3.42 gears (horrible), EFI, fully deleted with a 4" exhaust, Steed manifold and a hogged out Holset turbo by Turbo Lab of America.

I have about the same numbers pulling a Montana 43' 5th wheel.

It is heavy and when loaded going through the Tenn mountains I get to 1400 pretty easy, that is not summer heat, that was about two weeks ago.

My lowest setting is a 70 HP tow tune, I believe.

I am looking at either changing gears to 4.10s or doing an aftermarket intercooler.

Not sure which would be the biggest return to cool off EGTs but I am hoping for about a 200 degree reduction.

I usually drop the trans down to 3rd or 4th in the mountains with tow/haul turned on.

The trans is a fully built unit from Tim in VA.

Any suggestions which would be better for me?

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234