Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  96
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying To Reduce EGTs While Towing

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Trying To Reduce EGTs While Towing

So, a bit of info to start with.

2015 Ram 3500 DRW 4:10, 68RFE, exhaust delete, DRD delete tune (EGR off, but still there), S&B cold air intake.

2016 Grand Design Momentum Toy Hauler 5th wheel. Right around 18.5K

Struggling to keep egts under 1k when towing, and any hills climbing to 1400-1500.

Plenty of peddle there, but egts spike quickly.

Trying to find the best budget friendly ways to drop egts.

We are definitely not in the mountains, but if we were, I would be nervous about climbing.

Truck seems to have plenty of power, but egts seem too high.

Not sure what would be the next thing to try?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

2. Thanks Murph, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Trying To Reduce EGTs While Towing

Are you using the “0” 30HP setting when towing?

Are you using tow haul mode and manually locking out 6th gear when towing up hills?

Are you keeping your speed under 65 mph?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Likes watersupply189, Murph, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Trying To Reduce EGTs While Towing

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post
    So, a bit of info to start with.

2015 Ram 3500 DRW 4:10, 68RFE, exhaust delete, DRD delete tune (EGR off, but still there), S&B cold air intake.

2016 Grand Design Momentum Toy Hauler 5th wheel. Right around 18.5K

Struggling to keep egts under 1k when towing, and any hills climbing to 1400-1500.

Plenty of peddle there, but egts spike quickly.

Trying to find the best budget friendly ways to drop egts.

We are definitely not in the mountains, but if we were, I would be nervous about climbing.

Truck seems to have plenty of power, but egts seem too high.

Not sure what would be the next thing to try?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
    I wouldn’t worry so much about keeping them below 1k. The 6.7s are built to handle some heat so being 1300 or less is acceptable IMO. You can run hotter but not for long durations.

The best fix for this is to open up exhaust side of the turbo. The stock VGT don’t flow very well and bottle neck causing heat. Doing a Drop in charger, 3rd gen swap or 2nd gen swap should drop EGTs by about 10-20% when under load

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks MightyZ thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Murph, MightyZ, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Since it is exhaust side what diameter exhaust does Mightyz have?

8. Thanks MightyZ thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Murph, MightyZ liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I have 4" FloPro exhaust

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I am actually struggling to keep it below 1400-1500. Flat roads I'm ok, any kind of climb and I'm pushing temps to 1400 quickly. I try higher rpms, lower gears, with no better results. Didnt know if intercooler, or turbo was the next best option. Like I said, truck has plenty of power, egts just hold me back.

12. Likes watersupply189, michaelrc51 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Are you using the “0” 30HP setting when towing?

Are you using tow haul mode and manually locking out 6th gear when towing up hills?

Are you keeping your speed under 65 mph?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah, tow haul mode always, 4-5th gear for climbs, speeds 60-65 max and using the 30hp tow tune.

14. Likes watersupply189, SyN, Murph liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I am actually struggling to keep it below 1400-1500. Flat roads I'm ok, any kind of climb and I'm pushing temps to 1400 quickly. I try higher rpms, lower gears, with no better results. Didnt know if intercooler, or turbo was the next best option. Like I said, truck has plenty of power, egts just hold me back.
    Yeah, tow haul mode always, 4-5th gear for climbs, speeds 60-65 max and using the 30hp tow tune.
    Hmmm...something seems a little off to me. I am running the same truck and tune with stock turbo and 4” exhaust. My fifth wheel is a little lighter at 16.5K. Towing on flat roads I am under 800*F pulling hills under 1200*F. I am wondering about the accuracy and location of our EGT probes. Mine is in the rear block off plate, accuracy unknown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

16. Thanks MightyZ thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, MightyZ, SyN liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Hmmm...something seems a little off to me. I am running the same truck and tune with stock turbo and 4” exhaust. My fifth wheel is a little lighter at 16.5K. Towing on flat roads I am under 800*F pulling hills under 1200*F. I am wondering about the accuracy and location of our EGT probes. Mine is in the rear block off plate, accuracy unknown.

Mine is a 2010, pulling +/- 15k. RaceMe Ultra box tunes, running 30 hp tune.

I see numbers similar to @AK Bob.

My EGT probe is also in the rear block-off plate.

2010 Big Horn 3500 DRW Crew Cab Long Bed 3.73
    RaceMe Ultra

18. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I'm drilled in manifold at the recommended location.

I deleted and tuned to hopefully help egts, and it did help a bit, but I still feel like I'm higher than I should be.

I also tow with A/C off, and there has been a few times now where I wish I could use my A/C on travel days.

I hate to scrap the turbo with it working and the exhaust brake is used a ton.

20. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, SyN, Murph liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast