Likes Likes:  96

Thread: Trying To Reduce EGTs While Towing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Re: Trying To Reduce EGTs While Towing

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Hmmm...something seems a little off to me. I am running the same truck and tune with stock turbo and 4” exhaust. My fifth wheel is a little lighter at 16.5K. Towing on flat roads I am under 800*F pulling hills under 1200*F. I am wondering about the accuracy and location of our EGT probes. Mine is in the rear block off plate, accuracy unknown.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm drilled in manifold at the recommended location.

I deleted and tuned to hopefully help egts, and it did help a bit, but I still feel like I'm higher than I should be.

I also tow with A/C off, and there has been a few times now where I wish I could use my A/C on travel days.

I hate to scrap the turbo with it working and the exhaust brake is used a ton.

2. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, SyN, Murph liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post
    I'm drilled in manifold at the recommended location. I deleted and tuned to hopefully help egts, and it did help a bit, but I still feel like I'm higher than I should be. I also tow with A/C off, and there has been a few times now where I wish I could use my A/C on travel days. I hate to scrap the turbo with it working and the exhaust brake is used a ton.
    My understanding is that the EGT probe in the rear block off plate is quite accurate at the higher temperatures, but that still doesn’t take into account the probe calibration accuracy.

I am wondering if Ray @DRD has any words of wisdom on the issue of high EGT temperatures that you are experiencing?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks MightyZ thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post
    I'm drilled in manifold at the recommended location.

I deleted and tuned to hopefully help egts, and it did help a bit, but I still feel like I'm higher than I should be.

I also tow with A/C off, and there has been a few times now where I wish I could use my A/C on travel days.

I hate to scrap the turbo with it working and the exhaust brake is used a ton.
    I'm curious, where is the recommended location sir?

I've read on here that EGT's at the end of the manifold where the block off plate is located can be 100 to 200 cooler than say within a closer proximity to the exhaust port where I plumb EGT probes on a reciprocating aircraft engine which is two inches down from the flange.

With other locations downstream on a recip engine as you would imagine the temps are way different.

I currently do not have my Cummins probed as I'm not towing yet.

So I have no comparison from my perspective.

Great topic and thx!

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    I'm curious, where is the recommended location sir?

I've read on here that EGT's at the end of the manifold where the block off plate is located can be 100 to 200 cooler than say within a closer proximity to the exhaust port where I plumb EGT probes on a reciprocating aircraft engine which is two inches down from the flange.

With other locations downstream on a recip engine as you would imagine the temps are way different.

I currently do not have my Cummins probed as I'm not towing yet.

So I have no comparison from my perspective.

Great topic and thx!
    I tapped my probe just back of center on the side of the exhaust manifold that faces out at you.

I did a Google search and Genos has a good photo of it.

You have to take the front, passenger wheel liner out, and its a reach to work at it, but it can be done pretty easily.

I tried to use a magnet to collect shavings, the stuff that fell in didn't cause any issues.

Just try to pull bit out to clear it more often, especially when you get closer to popping through.

It's pretty thick material, so it will take a sharp drill bit!

I still have my egr installed, so block off plate is not an option

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post