Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  96
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying To Reduce EGTs While Towing

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Trying To Reduce EGTs While Towing

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Z. View Post
    I was going to start a new thread, but figured I'd just add on to this one regarding my experience these past 3 weeks. 2014 2500 Mega-Cab, 3.42 gears, DRD "sanitized", 4" exhaust, EGR intact (but turned off), stock otherwise. Also important to note that I do NOT have an EGT probe installed, so I monitor engine load, MG/stroke, and RPMs. When I tow, I lock out 6th, which I calculate to be like having 4.10 ratio. I also drive at 65mph max which is around 1800rpm. Trailer is approx 15k loaded.

Just got done towing 3700 miles round-trip from KY to Yellowstone and back. I really got to do a LOT of "playing around". My first observation is, wind speed/direction has quite the affect when towing a 12.5 ft tall fifth wheel! Headwinds suck!

So, heading out to Yellowstone from Kentucky, uphill, locked out 6th, tuner set to "0" as most recommend, set cruise to 65 and GO. Since I was monitoring MG/stroke and load, I noticed that that MG/stroke max out at 150. Of course load max of 100 percent. I figure, the more fuel, the higher EGT, and since I don't have an EGT probe, when I saw the fuel hit 150, I reduced cruise until it backed off 150. Many, many times, on the longer grades, I ended up gearing down to 4th and going maybe 55 mph, but loads and fuel were still pretty high.

On the way back from Yellowstone, I decided to try something different. Locked out 6th as usual, set cruise to 65, but this time had tuner set to "2", the 90hp setting. I actually did this while climbing a small grade - truck was starting to slow from 65mph with fuel at 150 mg/stroke, but as soon as tune "2" kicked in, I felt the power, and the truck quickly, I mean quickly got to 65mph, and the fuel backed of 150 mg/stroke, and load was only around 70. I thought to myself "am I missing something here?".

Bottom line is, and maybe @DRD can answer, isn't EGT directly related to fuel flow (mg/stroke)? If so, then I should be able to monitor that fuel flow and engine load to determine safe operating temps. Also, seems that when I had the tuner set to "2" (90hp), cruise control was able to keep speed right on, fuel was way less in regards to mg/stroke, and load was way less. Turbo even seemed to be working less, and all temps were great! I was really amazed how much power I felt towing our 15k trailer at setting "2".

So, @DRD, as long as engine load and fuel flow are lower at a higher tune, is that better on the engine in regards to EGTs? I must be missing something...
    MM3 or fuel quantity display is meaningless on a tuned truck.

Monitor main injection duration and you will see the difference in HP levels.

Then you'll understand why the truck performs differently on the higher HP levels.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

2. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

So, follow up to earlier post.

I ran from Wells, Maine to Bar Harbor, Maine on Friday, hauling our 5th wheel.

Switched to 0 setting on MM3 tuner, and the truck ran about 200 degrees cooler and almost 1mpg better economy.

Overall things seemed cooler and more efficient.

Very happy!

Thanks for the help!

3. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Good to here.

5. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

How about a banks monster ram intake? Does anyone think the better flow would cool the EGTs down a bit. Anyone running a Banks air horn intake?

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2tone View Post
    How about a banks monster ram intake? Does anyone think the better flow would cool the EGTs down a bit. Anyone running a Banks air horn intake?
    There are no real performance gains to be had with my personal truck (it is not a banks).

Unless you are after big power then these horns won’t do much but clean up the engine bay.

The best way to cool EGTs are:
    1. Driving habits
    2. Correct tuning files.
    3. Turbocharger and manifold change
    4. Intercooler
    5. Spray/intake

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2tone View Post
    I have a banks monster ram intake horn and pusher 3.5" hot and cold boost tubes.

I didn't notice any performance gain and I never took my stock EGT numbers so I can't really give you a good comparison.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post
    So, a bit of info to start with.

2015 Ram 3500 DRW 4:10, 68RFE, exhaust delete, DRD delete tune (EGR off, but still there), S&B cold air intake.

2016 Grand Design Momentum Toy Hauler 5th wheel. Right around 18.5K

Struggling to keep egts under 1k when towing, and any hills climbing to 1400-1500.

Plenty of peddle there, but egts spike quickly.

Trying to find the best budget friendly ways to drop egts.

We are definitely not in the mountains, but if we were, I would be nervous about climbing.

Truck seems to have plenty of power, but egts seem too high.

Not sure what would be the next thing to try?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
    I’m towing very similarly and seeing same results.

2016 2500 pulling 5th wheel at around 15kish. Truck is deleted, throttle valve deleted, MM3 on tow/haul tune(#3), 4” exhaust, S&B intake, EGT probe in collector, and with tow/haul on.

Flat road 65-70mph EGTs regularly 1k-11+ degrees. Any climbs and it jumps to the high 1300s into high 1400s and holds.
    Truck accelerated fine but these EGTs do make me think how high should they be. In the reading I have done I have found that Cummins says 900* sustained post turbo is acceptable. Makes me want to install another probe post turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. Likes Murph, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post
    I'm drilled in manifold at the recommended location.

I deleted and tuned to hopefully help egts, and it did help a bit, but I still feel like I'm higher than I should be.

I also tow with A/C off, and there has been a few times now where I wish I could use my A/C on travel days.

I hate to scrap the turbo with it working and the exhaust brake is used a ton.
    I'm curious, where is the recommended location sir?

I've read on here that EGT's at the end of the manifold where the block off plate is located can be 100 to 200 cooler than say within a closer proximity to the exhaust port where I plumb EGT probes on a reciprocating aircraft engine which is two inches down from the flange.

With other locations downstream on a recip engine as you would imagine the temps are way different.

I currently do not have my Cummins probed as I'm not towing yet.

So I have no comparison from my perspective.

Great topic and thx!

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

I think the recommended spot would be the collector.

If we had individual probes, 2” from the head on each runner would be ideal.

Since we are using 1 probe, you’d want it where they all merge together thus getting an overall reading.

The further you go from the head the more the reading will differ.

It appears that people reading from the EGR block off plate are 200-300* difference at least from what I’ve read and the numbers I’m seeing.

Remember, the EGR isn’t coming off of all 6 cylinders....

17. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Murph, watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michaelrc51 View Post
    I’m towing very similarly and seeing same results.

2016 2500 pulling 5th wheel at around 15kish. Truck is deleted, throttle valve deleted, MM3 on tow/haul tune(#3), 4” exhaust, S&B intake, EGT probe in collector, and with tow/haul on.

Flat road 65-70mph EGTs regularly 1k-11+ degrees. Any climbs and it jumps to the high 1300s into high 1400s and holds.
    Truck accelerated fine but these EGTs do make me think how high should they be. In the reading I have done I have found that Cummins says 900* sustained post turbo is acceptable. Makes me want to install another probe post turbo.

So, this is the best setup I have found for my truck when hauling:
    Lowest setting of my tune selection
    5th gear
    No A/C
    Under 65mph-I try to keep my rpm from 2200-2400

If any of the above is not used, egts climbed to 1300-1400 on any pulls up hill(but thats max), but follow the rules, and my mpgs are almost 2mpg better, and usually 1100 max up hill, and 800 average cruising. Once you find the sweet spot its all good.

I have to admit, we had about an 8 hour drive from Maine to South Jersey the other day, and I beat on it a bit pushing close to 70mph, A/C on, with higher egts, rpms, and my mpgs hovered around 9.2 mpg. Normally I can do low 11mpgs. Its all about how hard you push it.

19. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast