Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  96
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying To Reduce EGTs While Towing

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Trying To Reduce EGTs While Towing

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post
    I'm drilled in manifold at the recommended location. I deleted and tuned to hopefully help egts, and it did help a bit, but I still feel like I'm higher than I should be. I also tow with A/C off, and there has been a few times now where I wish I could use my A/C on travel days. I hate to scrap the turbo with it working and the exhaust brake is used a ton.
    My understanding is that the EGT probe in the rear block off plate is quite accurate at the higher temperatures, but that still doesn’t take into account the probe calibration accuracy.

I am wondering if Ray @DRD has any words of wisdom on the issue of high EGT temperatures that you are experiencing?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Thanks MightyZ thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Yes - Very interested in what Ray has to say.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Likes Noneck, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

So, a bit of info to start with.

2015 Ram 3500 DRW 4:10, 68RFE, exhaust delete, DRD delete tune (EGR off, but still there), S&B cold air intake.

2016 Grand Design Momentum Toy Hauler 5th wheel. Right around 18.5K

Struggling to keep egts under 1k when towing, and any hills climbing to 1400-1500.

Plenty of peddle there, but egts spike quickly.

Trying to find the best budget friendly ways to drop egts.

We are definitely not in the mountains, but if we were, I would be nervous about climbing.

Truck seems to have plenty of power, but egts seem too high.

Not sure what would be the next thing to try?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
    These number aren't too awful for almost 19k pounds.

Do you have it set to the "0" setting?

Where exactly did you install your egt probe? Cummins run hot as it is plus almost 30k total weight and your hill climbs will net you numbers like you're seeing.

Others may or may not disagree but I think you're fine because you're moving a big load.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks MightyZ thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, MightyZ liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    These number aren't too awful for almost 19k pounds.

Do you have it set to the "0" setting?

Where exactly did you install your egt probe? Cummins run hot as it is plus almost 30k total weight and your hill climbs will net you numbers like you're seeing.

Others may or may not disagree but I think you're fine because you're moving a big load.

I'm have been running on the #1 tow tune, would the 0 tune be better? My egt probe is in the recommended location in the exhaust manifold. I just would like to reduce the egts a bit more, if possible.

I'm trying to get by on stock turbo until it quits. But wasn't sure if their are any other options that might help. My understanding is the stock intercooler is not as efficient as it could be, but not sure that that would help much. Mine looks like someone tried spraying with black spray paint, but nothing looks plugged or painted too heavy. It also has a bit of road debris wear on it, but nothing more that makes it look like it would cause issues.

I also have the egr still installed, but it is not active. But buying the delete kit, just to replace intake horn and possibly doing the grid heater delete seems like a bit much if it isn't gonna really help with egts either.

Again, I was just trying to tap all the great minds to see if anyone had any recommendations to help get egts a bit lower, that was cost effective and worthwhile.

Thanks again to all!

8. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I'm have been running on the #1 tow tune, would the 0 tune be better? My egt probe is in the recommended location in the exhaust manifold. I just would like to reduce the egts a bit more, if possible.

I'm trying to get by on stock turbo until it quits. But wasn't sure if their are any other options that might help. My understanding is the stock intercooler is not as efficient as it could be, but not sure that that would help much. Mine looks like someone tried spraying with black spray paint, but nothing looks plugged or painted too heavy. It also has a bit of road debris wear on it, but nothing more that makes it look like it would cause issues.

I also have the egr still installed, but it is not active. But buying the delete kit, just to replace intake horn and possibly doing the grid heater delete seems like a bit much if it isn't gonna really help with egts either.

Again, I was just trying to tap all the great minds to see if anyone had any recommendations to help get egts a bit lower, that was cost effective and worthwhile.

Thanks again to all!
    0=30, 1=60, 2=90, 3=120, 4=150, 5=200
    Disregard the general labels associated with each number, they do not apply to DRD tunes.
    Yes, running the 0 tune will help.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks MightyZ thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, MightyZ, Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    0=30, 1=60, 2=90, 3=120, 4=150, 5=200
    Disregard the general labels associated with each number, they do not apply to DRD tunes.
    Yes, running the 0 tune will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alright, so I was off by a #, on my MM3, there is 0=not sure?, 1= stock(labeled as such), 2=tow, 3=street, etc. So, I should run the 0 tune? Currently I have been running the 2=tow tune. Thanks for the help!

12. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Trying To Reduce EGTs While Towing

Alright, so I was off by a #, on my MM3, there is 0=not sure?, 1= stock(labeled as such), 2=tow, 3=street, etc. So, I should run the 0 tune? Currently I have been running the 2=tow tune. Thanks for the help!
    Yes run 0 when towing. Disregard the labels stock, tow, street etc. as they do not apply.

14. Thanks MightyZ thanked for this post
    Likes MightyZ, watersupply189, SyN, Power247, 1slo_CR liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

@MightyZ I just realized some of this topic information should have been posted behind closed doors. @IGOTACUMMINS please move as you see fit. I will pay closer attention to the original post location in the future.

16. Thanks MightyZ, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes MightyZ, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Duplicate Post.

Last edited by AK Bob; 07-31-2020 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

18. Thanks MightyZ thanked for this post
    Likes MightyZ, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I was going to start a new thread, but figured I'd just add on to this one regarding my experience these past 3 weeks. 2014 2500 Mega-Cab, 3.42 gears, DRD "sanitized", 4" exhaust, EGR intact (but turned off), stock otherwise. Also important to note that I do NOT have an EGT probe installed, so I monitor engine load, MG/stroke, and RPMs. When I tow, I lock out 6th, which I calculate to be like having 4.10 ratio. I also drive at 65mph max which is around 1800rpm. Trailer is approx 15k loaded.

Just got done towing 3700 miles round-trip from KY to Yellowstone and back. I really got to do a LOT of "playing around". My first observation is, wind speed/direction has quite the affect when towing a 12.5 ft tall fifth wheel! Headwinds suck!

So, heading out to Yellowstone from Kentucky, uphill, locked out 6th, tuner set to "0" as most recommend, set cruise to 65 and GO. Since I was monitoring MG/stroke and load, I noticed that that MG/stroke max out at 150. Of course load max of 100 percent. I figure, the more fuel, the higher EGT, and since I don't have an EGT probe, when I saw the fuel hit 150, I reduced cruise until it backed off 150. Many, many times, on the longer grades, I ended up gearing down to 4th and going maybe 55 mph, but loads and fuel were still pretty high.

On the way back from Yellowstone, I decided to try something different. Locked out 6th as usual, set cruise to 65, but this time had tuner set to "2", the 90hp setting. I actually did this while climbing a small grade - truck was starting to slow from 65mph with fuel at 150 mg/stroke, but as soon as tune "2" kicked in, I felt the power, and the truck quickly, I mean quickly got to 65mph, and the fuel backed of 150 mg/stroke, and load was only around 70. I thought to myself "am I missing something here?".

Bottom line is, and maybe @DRD can answer, isn't EGT directly related to fuel flow (mg/stroke)? If so, then I should be able to monitor that fuel flow and engine load to determine safe operating temps. Also, seems that when I had the tuner set to "2" (90hp), cruise control was able to keep speed right on, fuel was way less in regards to mg/stroke, and load was way less. Turbo even seemed to be working less, and all temps were great! I was really amazed how much power I felt towing our 15k trailer at setting "2".

So, @DRD, as long as engine load and fuel flow are lower at a higher tune, is that better on the engine in regards to EGTs? I must be missing something...

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast