Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Transmission Rebuild

1. Top Of Page | #1

Transmission Rebuild

Seeing what other people did to make their transmission more reliable.

I have a 2012 ram 3500 4x4 srw 10” bds 38s 4:56s and bone stock trans

2. Likes watersupply189, 6.7 Coal Train, Murph liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Transmission Rebuild

A lot of people do Revmax valve body + a deep pan.

I'm personally letting my stock trans grenade and just replacing the whole thing with a built trans when the time comes.

Built trans is expensive as hell, but just doesn't play for me to spend over $1000 on a couple upgrades instead of just doing it right in the end.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

4. Likes watersupply189, Murph liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Transmission Rebuild

I used a kit from Nextgen Diesel called Bulletproof 68.

It addresses most of the failure points of the 68RFE.

It is a DIY and about $300. Coupled along with trans tuning (DRD) it is performing great for me.

'11 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, H&S deletes, 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers on 20" Motometals (SOLD)
    '17 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 DRW, Blessed By DRD, Grid Heater Delete, Bulletproof 68 kit, ATS Thermo bypass, Mud Flaps
    '17 Vengeance 320A Toy Hauler

Enjoying Life One Day at a Time.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

If you have a newer transmission, valve body upgrades and tuning to support higher line pressure can help prolong the life of the stock clutches.

If your stock trans is in the higher mileage range, I'd suggest just saving your money for a full build.

I had 25k on my stock trans when I installed a built valve body and had Ray re-tune for higher line pressure.

Had my trans been over the 60-65k mark, I would have just saved my money for a built unit. It really boils down to your personal preference and budget.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

You're on the right track with this 4.56's.

Bigger tires with the stock gears and a little HP is the only 68RFE I had trouble with.

I dogged the hell out of two 68's each in duallies with stock tires and 3.73's.

No problem.

My third 68 was a single wheel running 35, with 3.42s, and I eventually started slipping 5th gear clutches.

So you got a great start.

If you want simple things, just a valve body with added line pressure is ok.

Can't go wrong with Rexmax.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

10. Likes watersupply189, Murph liked this post