Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: 4 Gen Rail Pressure

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

4 Gen Rail Pressure

2011 RAM 2500

The problem is rail pressure at idle in drive.

It's jumping from 4000 to 5800lbs.

I put in new CP3 same issue.

Please let me know if you have any input on this issue.

Have RaceME Ultra, 369 turbo, head studs, Revmax 550 Transmission, 60hp injectors.

Last edited by Frankenstein; 07-23-2020 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Added info
    2011ram 2500,

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 4 Gen Rail Pressure

I have checked the computer, the grounds, replaced the injection pump, all are good .

Unplugged the BD throttle sensitivity booster, there is no explanation for why when I come up to a red light and drive that my rail pressure is spiking up and over 8,000 pounds.

It also does this when I put it in reverse.. although the desired transmission line pressure jumps up to 230lbs and the actual rail pressure is significantly bellow that.

I'm starting to think my problem is in my revmax 550 transmission.

I just recently did a inframe rebuild new rod and main bearings new piston rings and wipers ARP rod bolts.

I thought I had a rod knocking turns out my revmax flexplate had a crack in it.

Got a Brand New revmax flexplate.

Got rid of the knock for sure but still have the real pressure surging.

I made sure all of my deleted wiring harness plugs were clean and without corrosion, also replaced mass air flow sensor input shaft speed sensor output shaft speed sensor rear ABS speed sensor, transmission pressure sensor and the crankshaft positioning sensor.

Looks like I'll be getting hold of revmax directly to discuss these issues after I have eliminated all other possibilities.

2011ram 2500,

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    2011 RAM 2500

The problem is rail pressure at idle in drive.

It's jumping from 4000 to 5800lbs.

I put in new CP3 same issue.
    Did you put in a new FCA or reuse the old one?

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

New FCA, no codes on the RaceME Ultra , or with the key trick, or using a snap-on scan star.

When first cranked and ran the problem is non-existent but once I've been driving force a 15 or 20 minutes, when I come to a stop in drive with my foot on the brake the rail pressure well jump between 8600 to 4200.

Once I take off again everything's fine drives just like it's supposed to.

I have heard that if your torque converter is not acting properly it can cause surging issues similar to the ones I'm experiencing.

I am also experiencing warmer than usual transmission temperatures my factory transmission always stayed in the 140s.

The revmax 550 is now commonly reaching the 180 Mark and if left idle will easily reach 200 degrees.

I just don't think these temperatures are acceptable.

Unloaded just driving around it's not like I'm up in the mountains with 20,000 pounds on a trailer every day.

2011ram 2500,

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

New FCA, no codes on the RaceME Ultra , or with the key trick, or using a snap-on scan star.

When first cranked and ran the problem is non-existent but once I've been driving force a 15 or 20 minutes, when I come to a stop in drive with my foot on the brake the rail pressure well jump between 8600 to 4200.

Once I take off again everything's fine drives just like it's supposed to.

I have heard that if your torque converter is not acting properly it can cause surging issues similar to the ones I'm experiencing.

I am also experiencing warmer than usual transmission temperatures my factory transmission always stayed in the 140s.

The revmax 550 is now commonly reaching the 180 Mark and if left idle will easily reach 200 degrees.

I just don't think these temperatures are acceptable.

Unloaded just driving around it's not like I'm up in the mountains with 20,000 pounds on a trailer every day.
    When you say left at idle are you in Park or Drive holding brakes?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Park, I'm starting to think that I have got a problem with my pump or torque converter.

2011ram 2500,

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Park, I'm starting to think that I have got a problem with my pump or torque converter.
    Problem is in the Revmax 550 transmission.

After contacting Revmax and sending pictures of the inside of the pan ( lot of metal particulate) in the pan and clutch material.

It's on the way back to Revmax and should find out exactly what the issue was soon I will update when I hear back from them.

For anybody interested.

2011ram 2500,

14. Thanks watersupply189, Aj Grubb thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

Hope you get it fixed quick and let us know how they were to deal with.

I’m always interested in customer service reviews.

16. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coryscummins View Post
    Hope you get it fixed quick and let us know how they were to deal with.

I’m always interested in customer service reviews.
    Revmax has the best customer service. If you send them an email during normal business hours on a weekday they'll respond back to you within 2 hours.

After they had informed me that they would allow me to send the transmission back for a warranty return I told them I would have it ready to ship in the morning and they had a truck at my place of business by 3:30 pm to pick it up.

They kept me posted on their findings turns out that the blades in the torque converter had been wARPed. I was using a (BD diesel flexplate with the factory ring washer installed on the 8 bolts that hold the flexplate to the crank)*BD diesel advertises that their flexplates are compatible with any and all factory or aftermarket torque converters. I already had the BD flexplate installed from a previous factory flexplate failure.

*You cannot use a billet flexplate with the factory ring washer installed on a revmax torque converter, it causes the bolt heads to stick out too far and smash into the torque converter it also causes the outside diameter of the flexplate to be bowed in towards the torque converter when bolted together. After completing my first 1000 Mile break in ,using the BD flexplate it failed and broke perfectly out of the center.

I had a big email fight with BD diesel about there installation instructions and claims of being the compatible with any and all factory or aftermarket torque converters and they finally admitted to me that I was correct if you use the factory ring washer on a revmax flexplate it would fail they also stated that if I did not use the factory ring washer on their flexplate it would also fail. They did send me a replacement BD flexplate but as it was useless to me with my revmax transmission and torque converter it sits on the shelf now.

All said and done downtime from the day it shipped until I got it back was about a week and a half. Installation is straightforward and fairly easy as long as you have a shop in the tools to do it just be sure that when you install the transmission you install transmission tuning and do the quick learn procedure with a snap on scan star or other unit before driving anywhere if you do not use the quick learn procedure with a scan tool you won't make it very far before causing serious damage to your brand new high-dollar transmission.

Unfortunately this was not covered under their warranty policy because of the use of the factory ring washer in the BD flexplate being the culprit. whenever installing aftermarket parts or transmissions read all installation instructions extremely carefully revmax says do not use the factory ring washer. This also kind of forces you to use their flexplate if you're using their torque converter (proprietary items and by design) $$

I still have nothing but good things to say about revmax they've been great to me I have no doubt that if I had not had this flexplate issue I never would have had an issue at all.

Even after it was all over I only owed them about $2,000 that included shipping they replaced the pump and rebuild my torque converter and looked through the entire transmission.

2011ram 2500,

18. Thanks watersupply189, Aj Grubb thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post