Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: 2004.5 ECM Conversion

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2004.5 ECM Conversion

So figured I’d post here since it seemed more relevant, but mods move as necessary.

Anyways, I have a 2004.5 5.9 and I’m well aware that there is no way to utilize EFI prior to an ‘06.

During my various google searches, I did discover something about a harness and ECM swap.

I didn’t dig too deep into it and most of the info was super outdated so I don’t know how relevant it is anymore.

My question is, can this sort of swap actually be performed?

What would I need and is it worth doing over just buying a smarty MM3?

Will I actually be able to use EFI live to its full extent on my ‘04 if this swap can be performed?

Truck currently has an edge juice and there’s a lot more to be desired.

No, the tranny isn’t built yet and it’s not studded either, but it will get done if I intend to take any step above the edge juice level 5 tuning which I daily with.

Basically, assuming I can do the swap, would I still just be better off buying the smarty.

I’ve been actually debating heavily selling the truck and just getting into a turbo car since what I’m trying to get out of the truck now costs way too much, but I figure if I can do a few little things to add more fun factor I might consider holding onto it longer.

Thanks for all the help and please keep the criticism positive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Murph liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2004.5 ECM Conversion

Criticism, LOL OK Sir I like your license plate mounting!

No critical thought here, good looking rig bro!

Good luck and have a great day!

4. Thanks Amd241997 thanked for this post
    Likes Amd241997, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Permanent Vacation cumminsturbofreak's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: 2004.5 ECM Conversion

There is no reason to do such a swap nowadays. That was a messy workaround back in the day for race trucks. I call the install messy because the vehicle network buses are completely different, 03-05 is PCI Bus, 06+ is CAN C Bus.

The good news is that doesn’t matter at all! Your stock 2004.5 ECM can be custom tuned either with Smarty Touch+UDC Pro or with HPTuners Suite+MPVI

Having experience with Smarty UDC Pro, I’d say go that route. The tuner is a screen full of gauges, including egt if you buy the pyro. You can tune on the fly with it as well.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post