Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: The Best Diesel?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

The Best Diesel?

I’ve driven all three trucks, owned a 15 and 18 RAM 2500 diesel.

I've driven Powerstrokes at a previous job, and driven family members Duramax's.

Which truck is the best, talking newer diesels and why?

2018 2500 Laramie automatic, fully deleted and tuned with EZ Lynk CTT and 68RFE Trans Tuning. S&B CAI and 5” Flo Pro Straight Pipe

Thanks, @Chris_24V
    2016 2500 Big Horn G56
    Instagram @_chris_bowyer_

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: The Best Diesel?

Truck or motor?

My take is throw the Ford and the power stroke out of this completely unless it's an old 7.3.

As many know, I have a LML, and I do really like my Chevy, but ultimately in a perfect world for me, my Chevy would have a Cummins under the hood.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

4. Likes Murph, Chris_24V, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Well, let me opine, LOL. I was on the bike puttin' around and hit a two lane turn and was enjoying the tunes on a great southern Az. winter day with my ear buds in when i notice this lifted late model (77-79?) crew cab long bed ford f-250. Well the paint was super cool and caught my eye, while i was checking the truck out and then really noticing the quality i then (thinking it had a big block) wanted to hear the exhaust, took out my ear buds and noticed the unmistakable sound of the mighty cummins! looked up at the guy drivin' and he was looking at me smiling and nodding. Of course i nodded back and then asked what he was rolling with under the hood and he says "6.7 with an Allison paired smartly behind it. VERY CLEAN and nicely done. Never got a pic but just thought it was cool!

6. Likes Chris_24V, RATLIN'HP, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

These type of questions always end up being a preference thing vs which is actually the best. Each will have their own reasons for why. I have always been a Dodge/Ram guy. Something about the Ford and GM just doesn't feel right to me. That is preference as they all have their pros and cons. As for engines it boils down to me being a trucker for 35 years and being familiar with the inline 6 platform. In the big rigs I much prefer the Cat engine but they just are not an option in light duty trucks. I have owned 3 Cummins pickups and they are very reliable so being a Ram guy I get the best of both worlds for my preference.

As far as performance each of the newer diesel pickups are all on pretty even level when stock. But its all preference. Find the one you like and enjoy it. No matter which one you choose someone will have something to say about it

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

8. Likes Chris_24V, RATLIN'HP, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_24V View Post
    I’ve driven all three trucks, owned a 15 and 18 RAM 2500 diesel.

I've driven Powerstrokes at a previous job, and driven family members Duramax's.

Which truck is the best, talking newer diesels and why?

2018 2500 Laramie automatic, fully deleted and tuned with EZ Lynk CTT and 68RFE Trans Tuning. S&B CAI and 5” Flo Pro Straight Pipe
    Same here and my opinion is for my RAM 3500 MC

10. Likes Chris_24V, watersupply189, Aboshan liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I agree with Aboshan on all his thoughts...

I have Co-Workers whom have newer Duramaxs & Powerstrokes & both are super nice & Very Eye appealing but also very expensive!

I chose my Ram due to Price Point (with ALL the Options) & the inline 6 Cummins! (My Ram has every towing option I could get with the Bighorn) for about 10K less the the comparable GMC/Chevy & Ford.

Only con I have is with the 68RFE & it really weird shift points in the Stock form. (Yes - I do know Tuning will correct this)
    Also - I wish they would give the 2500 the 3.73 gearing with a rear electronic locker option...

Everyone has their personal favorite & All 3 Brands have their strengths and weaknesses...

I have always been a Ford Guy - but I can't imagine myself paying $68K - 70K for a Truck...

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

12. Thanks Murph, Aboshan thanked for this post
    Likes Murph, Aboshan, watersupply189, Chris_24V liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I agree with Aboshan on all his thoughts...

I have Co-Workers whom have newer Duramaxs & Powerstrokes & both are super nice & Very Eye appealing but also very expensive!

I chose my Ram due to Price Point (with ALL the Options) & the inline 6 Cummins! (My Ram has every towing option I could get with the Bighorn) for about 10K less the the comparable GMC/Chevy & Ford.

Only con I have is with the 68RFE & it really weird shift points in the Stock form. (Yes - I do know Tuning will correct this)
    Also - I wish they would give the 2500 the 3.73 gearing with a rear electronic locker option...

Everyone has their personal favorite & All 3 Brands have their strengths and weaknesses...

I have always been a Ford Guy - but I can't imagine myself paying $68K - 70K for a Truck...
    You don't want to see the sticker on my 18 Laramie Aisin then.

I had the same frame of mind about price tag until I came across my truck sitting on the lot.

At that point I knew it was mine.

It had everything on it I would have ordered except for color which wasn't bad in my case.

I did get lucky on price as the Ram dealership in my town sold to the owners of the Toyota dealership middle of 2019.

They had a hoard of 18's leftover which my truck was one.

Knowing the 20's were coming I watched the sales and in August of 2019 the dealership put a sale of $19k off the sticker and Chrysler matched them with another $2500.

I left work early and bought it that day.

It was still expensive but I cannot picture myself driving anything else.

My avatar picture is from the dealership the day I drove it home.

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

14. Likes SyN, watersupply189, Power247, Chris_24V liked this post