Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: What To Look At On Used RAM/Cummins

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

What To Look At On Used RAM/Cummins

Hello all, so hopefully this fall I will finally pick up a Cummins.

Will be used, 4th Gen, either from a dealer or private sale.

My big question is, what should I look at to make sure I’m not getting a lemon?

Things I can visually check when I go see the truck.

Also If the truck comes pre-tuned, anything specific to check with that? (One I’ve found is actually already DRD tuned)

Thanks in advance and can’t wait to jump on the platinum membership once I have the truck.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: What to look at

The first thing I did was start it up and listen to the motor run.

Then popped the hood checked for leaks around the motor and under it.

Then took the oil cap off and checked for blow by.

After doing that (if it passes those tests) I got into the driver's seat, and slowly rev'd the motor up to 2100 rpms and then let it drop.

Any type of hesitation usually indicates a (or multiple) bad injector.

Also check the coolant reserve tank for bubbles and the top radiator hose for stiffness.

Bubbles and an extra stiff upper hose will give you a clue about the condition of the head gasket.

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Murph liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: What to look at

Also check the bed of the truck and look for holes from 5th wheel rails (rails still may be present) and possibly a hide-a-ball hitch.

A plate for the hide a ball is usually seen on the frame rail through the rear wheel well.

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Murph liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Re: What To Look At On Used RAM/Cummins

Just inboard of the EGR as you are looking at engine left side, look at those coolant lines as well that leave the engine (kinda hard to see) for any evidence of the obvious.

For the longest time I kept smelling coolant but had no drips or staining on the garage floor.

When I removed the EGR for cleaning, there it was. looked like a candle, just a seep, nonetheless it was a small victory as opposed to the surrender of a grand for the dealership to diagnose and repair.

Great luck to you!!

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post