Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  57
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changed Fuel Filters and Now Truck Won't Stay Running?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Changed Fuel Filters and Now Truck Won't Stay Running?

Hello, I have a 14 Ram 2500. I changed out my rear and front fuel filters following the below instructions:

Rear: Drain filter fuel with plug, swap filter, put fuel back in, install new filter.

Front: Drain filter fuel via valve drain screw, crack lid open while draining(this may have been my issue), replace filter.

Primed the truck 5-6ish times, started it and left a little later for errands. NOW THE ISSUE:

After I left for errands, got maybe a mile or so and hit the freeway service road, no throttle response, maybe putter here and there, no fuel delivery seemingly. Pulled over into a neighborhood, bled the front screw a little, primed the truck, and drove a bit more, got stuck, pulled over primed again, drove a bit more. These were all maybe 1/4 mile trips before it started sputtering. Currently I am in a gas station parked and letting the truck idle after bleeding again, the rail pressure is around 5,000 PSI and responds accordingly when I press the gas. Sometimes when I start it again, I need to prime again.

Sorry for all the info but wanted to give as much detail as possible. Do I need to do some sort of full bleed on the system? Something with the injectors? Just not positive what to do, and my next "1/4 mile" is across the freeway and up a giant hill back home... so wanted to post while I could.

PLEASE HELP! I do have tools with me and can do a lot but once I get home, I can do anything else needed and let the truck cool.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Changed Fuel Filters and Now Truck Won't Stay Running?

To add details, when the issue starts happening, pressure in the fuel rail starts to decrease as I give the truck more throttle.

This is reported by my MM3.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Sounds like it's sucking air somewhere. Check filters are seated properly.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

4. Likes Molliewhopper liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post

Seated properly as in the rear filter screwed in all the way and the cap to the front filter tightened down?

I didn't touch anything else other than the electrical connector on the rear filter.

6. Thanks Skywrench thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post

I screwed the rear all the way until it stopped then hand tightened another 1/4 turn to the next symbol.

The front cap I torqued to about 30 ft/lb.

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Sounds like an O ring or something is not seated right.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

9. Likes anthony0435 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    Sounds like an O ring or something is not seated right.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...691968799c.jpg

I'm curious how this could happen, I've changed these several times. Put small bit of oil both on the rear filter ring and the front cap ring. Any ideas?

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    I'm curious how this could happen, I've changed these several times. Put small bit of oil both on the rear filter ring and the front cap ring. Any ideas?

It's been awhile since I've owned a 6.7 and that's why I posted a generic pic also. I know the big o ring is for the cap but I cant remember the small ones place. I'm assuming it's for the front filter as well, so are sure the old one came out and it's not doubled up, set right and so on is what I was getting it. If you done it several times I'm guessing you surely know how, so it'd just be by dumb luck if one of them isnt right. Maybe you got a bad filter too. I really dont know.....just things I'd be looking at if it was mine. I'd think it would be leaking if that cap o ring was mess up though also.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    It's been awhile since I've owned a 6.7 and that's why I posted a generic pic also. I know the big o ring is for the cap but I cant remember the small ones place. I'm assuming it's for the front filter as well, so are sure the old one came out and it's not doubled up, set right and so on is what I was getting it. If you done it several times I'm guessing you surely know how, so it'd just be by dumb luck if one of them isnt right. Maybe you got a bad filter too. I really dont know.....just things I'd be looking at if it was mine. I'd think it would be leaking if that cap o ring was mess up though also.

The small one is for the bleed valve on the rear filter. The big one is actually for the front filters cap. Is there any way from the outside(after reseating the o rings) if there is an air leak?

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Good advice above. I suppose there is also chance of a lift pump issue. I would check the pump pressure with a gauge or at least open the front filter drain valve and check for an adequate supply of fuel into a bucket or jug with the pump running.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Likes jgruberman liked this post
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast