Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.7L Crank Case Filter Delete

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

6.7L Crank Case Filter Delete

I managed to separate the two halves of the filter housing and remove the inner filter component fiber - then reassemble the two halves - and reinstall under the valve cover.

Just my preference to merely destroying the filter housing or running without any housing at all under the valve cover.

The newer (or better condition) the filter is - the more it has to be soaked in some sort of solvent to get the inner filter component fiber to come apart without damaging the plastic housing!

2. Thanks Murph thanked for this post
    Likes SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 6.7L Crank Case Filter Delete

That is actually a really good idea, I did the standard cut the corners and removed that piece.

Now I kinda want to find a junk or cheap used one to get that part installed.

Correction found a really cheap used one online to do this.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

4. Likes SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Im curious as to why the inner filter has to be gutted?

If a person is doing the crankcase vent delete and disconnecting the hose from crankcase cover to turbo and installing the mini filter, running a hose from cover to undercarriage, or catch can.

Would it hurt anything to leave that filter intact and just vent the crankcase cover to atmosphere?

6. Likes Murph liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pop-A-Top View Post
    Im curious as to why the inner filter has to be gutted?

If a person is doing the crankcase vent delete and disconnecting the hose from crankcase cover to turbo and installing the mini filter, running a hose from cover to undercarriage, or catch can.

Would it hurt anything to leave that filter intact and just vent the crankcase cover to atmosphere?
    I think the main reason is to remove any possible failure point.

While rerouting the CCV away from the turbo either a catch can or tube down the frame rail is better then doing nothing.

If you still have the filter it can still build pressure or clog up if anything were to go wrong and that would be a fail point/cause.

Me personally I don't think anything can go wrong or hurt anything running the filter with a bypass setup, however I just don't want to touch it ever again.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

8. Likes SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

I see your' point on a possible failure point CDIJeff.

I had planned to use a mini filter to vent the CC and leave the inner CC filter intact.

My reasoning for leaving the CC inner filter intact is to collect any residue and it won't be saturating the little filter and getting blown all under the hood.

I'll just change the CC filter as required.

My main reason for doing anything with it is to get it off the turbo.

10. Thanks GravesDiesel thanked for this post
    Likes GravesDiesel liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

When there is no longer suction from the turbo to the CCF - it can plug up - and this creates internal blow by pressure on rubber seals and etc.
    That's why the internal material of the filter should be removed when doing this delete.
    I just wanted to see if I could keep the 2 plastic filter housing pieces on operating condition without the inner filtering material.

12. Likes SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

When there is no longer suction from the turbo to the CCF - it can plug up - and this creates internal blow-by pressure on rubber seals and etc.

That's why the internal material of the filter should be removed when doing this delete.

I just wanted to see if I could keep the 2 plastic filter housing pieces in operating condition without the inner filtering material.

14. Likes Murph liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I got the part in, all going well soaking it to loosen the glue.

Snapped the middle piece in half where you put the prybar.

At this point I really would just rather pay someone who already has a pre-done.

Don't think it would be that hard with 3d printers now, can get the o-rings anywhere.

I really don't want to mess with that glue again.

16. Likes SyN, Murph liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I am not an advocate for this mod- to each their own.

Like @CDIJeff I am shocked no one makes a “drop in” gutter filter

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

18. Likes SyN liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    I am not an advocate for this mod- to each their own.

Like @CDIJeff I am shocked no one makes a “drop in” gutter filter
    Who would you even contact to make such a item?

I am pretty sure it would sell really well with standard plastic insert, basically as you said a full crank case filter just without the filter.

Look at how many people buy that little right angled filter you see sticking out of the valve cover, then if you wanted to make even more money you could make a aluminum one and call it high flow turbo saver edition or something.

(It would sell).

20. Likes SyN, Murph liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast