Thread: To Fire Ring Or Not On New Head

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

To Fire Ring Or Not On New Head

First time posting.

Anywhere for that matter.

Please forgive any etiquette mishaps.

I'm new to the game.

Starting a build on my 07.5 Cummins. Compounds.

Mostly for 3000 lb towing but a little bit of play.

Looking at appx 800 hp.

Questions:

1. Is there a downside to fire rings? Any good reason NOT to have them cut in my new heads with an 800 hp compound setup.

2. I'm looking at D&J and Fleece. Any opinions on either? Any suggestions on other vendors would be appreciated as well.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: To Fire Ring Or Not On New Head

@CutlineCummins

never heard of fire rings ... gonna listen to this one ... thanks

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    @CutlineCummins

never heard of fire rings ... gonna listen to this one ... thanks
    Fire ring is a deeper cut replacement o-ring machined into the head to hold high boost.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Just reading experiences from people on other forums - it sounds like fire rings tend to fail and are more of a race/pull application.

Might not be the ticket for a reliable daily driver.

You can get it o-ringed, which I think adds an additional ring to contact the stock ring.

-Sorry for double post.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

8. Thanks CutlineCummins thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks.

That's sense I'm getting.

More for sled or track trucks.

Gonna go with O rings.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CutlineCummins View Post
    First time posting.

Anywhere for that matter.

Please forgive any etiquette mishaps.

I'm new to the game.

Starting a build on my 07.5 Cummins. Compounds.

Mostly for 3000 lb towing but a little bit of play.

Looking at appx 800 hp.

Questions:

1. Is there a downside to fire rings? Any good reason NOT to have them cut in my new heads with an 800 hp compound setup.

2. I'm looking at D&J and Fleece. Any opinions on either? Any suggestions on other vendors would be appreciated as well.
    Welcome friend.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

12. Top Of Page | #7

O-ring for a daily driver if you want to do it.

Not needed for 800 horse.

Personally the only way I would do it is if I blew a head gasket it was in there or You mentioned D and J.

Great choice for a head stage 2 would probably be your best bet.

If you do go that route then yea you’re in there why not, but would O ring they handle heat cycles better from the daily grind where as fire rings are more gear towards race trucks that don’t have as many heat cycles as a daily is the easiest way to explain it.

2018 2500, G56, SSSB3600, Arp625 Head studs, Arp Manifold studs,BD Diesel FMW 467.7 2nd gen swapped, MM3 Custom tuning by Ray, Ceramic Pro Gold, Toyo Mt 33x12.50x20, Hostile Sprocket 20x10 -19, Fass 165, DDP 150 sticks,10mm exergy stroker pump, Bd Throttle Booster, Money Pit! The fass165 150 sticks and 10mm pump did ok but was running out of rail for anyone interested. It's now gonna have DDP 100%'s, DDP 12mm pump and a FASS 250gph

13. Thanks 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post