Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  60
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Few Oil Questions

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member NoMorePowerstrokes's Avatar

User Info Menu

A Few Oil Questions

Hello everyone, my name is Steve from PA. I'm new here.

As my profile name suggests I've been a Powerstroke guy for the last several years but finally decided to make the switch and bought a 2018 leftover.

As for my questions, I was curious if you guys actually follow the whole, change your oil every 6 months recommendation.

I changed my oil January 15th at 2,900 miles.

It has now been 6 months and the truck is only at 6,900 miles.

Is it a complete waste of money and oil to change again?

I'm not afraid to spend money to maintenance the truck right, but at the same time I don't like wasting money either.

My second question is, does anyone here run Mobil1 TDT 5W-40 in their rigs? TDT was an oil I really liked to run in my Powerstrokes but I have not really been able to find anyone talk about it on forums for the 6.7.

If not, what oil do you guys recommend. Has anyone used a particular oil for awhile and had oil analysis done to show that said oil is a good choice.

Sorry for the "noob" questions, and thank you in advance for responses.

I plan on keeping this truck a long time.

I also plan on becoming a platinum member when I decide to make the truck run "right".

2. Thanks AnOldBiker, SyN, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AnOldBiker, SyN, watersupply189, AK Bob, Oldman liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: A Few Oil Questions

@NoMorePowerstrokes

Oil preference is like asking which beer everyone likes.

My truck is older, but I've tried several different brands and ended up using Rotella T6.

I've used Mobil 1 and 1/2 dozen others, but sent in samples every oil change.

I like BlackStone, but any good lab will do.

And the samples came back best.

I change it as the samples tell me I'm close to end of proper life.

Last check it had 80k before going the long haul oil changes, I did them every 15k.

Never had an issue, but I do recommend a good oil bypass filter system for better life, cleaner oil.

Same with the coolant filter setup.

Main thing to have is what every is a quality full synthetic oil and meets the Cummins specifications and a good filter.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Thanks NoMorePowerstrokes thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, watersupply189, Rtetrault, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoMorePowerstrokes View Post

As my profile name suggests I've been a Powerstroke guy for the last several years but finally decided to make the switch and bought a 2018 leftover.

As for my questions, I was curious if you guys actually follow the whole, change your oil every 6 months recommendation.

I'm not afraid to spend money to maintenance the truck right, but at the same time I don't like wasting money either.

My second question is, does anyone here run Mobil1 TDT 5W-40 in their rigs? TDT was an oil I really liked to run in my Powerstrokes but I have not really been able to find anyone talk about it on forums for the 6.7.

If not, what oil do you guys recommend. Has anyone used a particular oil for awhile and had oil analysis done to show that said oil is a good choice.

I also plan on becoming a platinum member when I decide to make the truck run "right".
    I've been using Rotella T6 since I bought my truck in 2016 and send a sample to Blackstone every oil change with good sample results. I've slowly been extending from the 7,500 mile OE interval based on sample results each oil change. I'm at 15,000 now, nowhere close to Anoldbiker yet, but I'm also still running the OE style filter. That's been working out to about an oil change every 12 to 13 months for me. I think if you're running a full synthetic and having it tested mileage is a better way to go than time, especially if you're looking at cost.

2011 Ram 3500 SLT, 6.7 Cummins. 4.10 gears 68RFE Transmission. RaceMe Ultra with Warp Tuning by DRD, DPF delete pipe, EGR delete. 4 inch superlift lift kit with Bilstein shocks, dual steering stabilizer. 35x12.5x20 Toyo AT3s on black KMC XD795 wheels. Fender flares, N-Fab 6 step nerf bars.
    Honestly it's just a tow rig...

6. Thanks NoMorePowerstrokes thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Mdavlee liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoMorePowerstrokes View Post

Welcome!

I change mine once a year or 10k whichever comes first.

I have been using Royal Purple full synthetic 15W40 in mine since new but have been considering trying out the Hot Shots diamond brand oil.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

8. Thanks NoMorePowerstrokes thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I had been having the dealer change my oil while I was still under some bumber to bumber warranty every ~5,000 miles just to be safe with whatever questionable oil they use.

Just did my first change myself finally - I'm going to run Rotella T6 for the foreseeable future, also with OE Mopar filter.

Plan is to change oil once per year now, or around 10,000 miles.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

10. Thanks NoMorePowerstrokes thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member NoMorePowerstrokes's Avatar

User Info Menu

Thanks for the responses!

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I run Rotella T6 with Mopar filter and change it every 15k - I would say let the mileage run up a bit and not worry about time so much.

Blackstone oil analysis shows my sample great for 15k.

@cumminsdieselfreak has a similar mileage truck and is running something different with success.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Thanks NoMorePowerstrokes, SyN thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

I haven't read the entire thread, but has it been mentioned that for warranty purposes, it is every 6 months or mileage.

I think 6 months is completely stupid, but if I waited for the mileage side of things, I would be way way over the 6 months, so I change mine every 6 months.

The second I am out of warranty I will go by mileage.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

16. Thanks NoMorePowerstrokes thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

The 6.7L is fairly easy on oil - M1 TDT 5W-40 would be a great choice!

Rotella T6 5W-40 or 15W-40 would be great choices as well.
    I'm still not a fan of the new Delo - but the 600 ADF has me curious.

Delo XSP 5W-40 is another option...

Dont rule out 10W-30 - Many UOAs are coming back showing stellar results from this viscosity...

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

18. Thanks watersupply189, NoMorePowerstrokes thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I would like to give HSS Green Diamond & Blue Diamond the Benefit of the doubt but they focus so much on racing & most know racing oils are NOT the same formulations as your every day diesel oil...
    There just are not that many UOA out there floating around - @ least not near enough for a long term positive trend...
    I personally would like to see either a PSD or Duramax or Cummins (With ALL emissions Intact) running their oil since day 1 with over 100K-200K miles with all UOAs posted... (With Towing Med/Heavy involved)

Like I said- HSS seems to focus more on Racing then the General Public and Long Term Results with their oils -- The Stiction Eliminator is the exception - this product has shown many positive Reviews from everyday owners...

I'm by no means BASHING HSS Green Diamond nor Blue Diamond - I just would like to see some Long Term Testing with the (Newer Undeleted) Trucks WE drive - Doing Daily Hard Work --> Towing
    I was thinking of trying the black diamond. They say it has 3x the added zinc for better wear protection. Since my truck has lost weight I believe it would be okay for it?
    What’s your thoughts on using the black diamond?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

20. Likes SyN liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast