Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  60
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Few Oil Questions

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: A Few Oil Questions

Joe:
    (Even the OEM Mopar filters are extremely Robust) - Can't go wrong in my opinion! (But also come with a 200% -$$$ Mark Up)

First thing I think of is those Millions of engines - whom went 100K-300K miles while running the Orange Can of Death (Fram PH8)!

I've never been known to make the smartest choice the first time.

Attending ALL those Long Noria Machinery Lubrication classes @ Work - I have totally understood when It comes to oil filters - (A New Filter is Not Near as Efficient as a Oil Filter that has been in service for a decent time) Depending on the selected media - a bit of flow may be sacrificed - but flow is very critical as some might know!

I have realized the Donaldson Blue DBL7349 is my Logical (BEST) Option. (But - Using the Fluted Filter Wrench makes filter removal easy)
    So MY personal options are as follows - Fleetguard (Stratapore) LF16035 or Wix 57620XP or Baldwin BT7349 will be my ideal filter choices.

Honestly - My main focus is running the Highest of Quality Air Filter that I can find. (More Flow is not needed - Only more efficient filtering media) - I installed a HD plastic fine mesh screen at every entrance of my Ram Air Box to keep out larger to Medium size debris - with the objective to keep the incoming air as clean as could be (except for the Normal Dirt) ya just can't block.
    (Even drilled a 1/2" hole in the lowest spot of the bottom of the Ram Air Box) - (Also covered the hole with the same HD fine mesh screen) in case any H2O is accumulated. (Giving it a place to drain)

NOTE: MY personal Oil Filter preference is NOT by any means a Recommendation - Only a Consideration.
    Honestly: I don't feel 2-5 microns difference between filters efficiency is going to make that much difference in internal wear over a 100K -400K mile span - As long as all the other general maintenance is not ignored & the 6.7L is driven civilized!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

@SyN you have clearly put a lot of research into this. Sounds like a winning combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

4. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

I’m wired a little different I don’t want to run the same HDEO and filters that everybody else runs.
    I'm also a Big Fan of - (Shell) Rotella T5 15W-40 & T6 5W-40 & 15W-40 & now 0W-40 but since everyone I know runs it in their Duramax or Powerstroke - I choose Not to!
    I went a totally different route then most - due to my OCD.
    HDEO are getting to be difficult to find @ times these days - It's possibly time to start stock piling (Hording) your favorite HDEO & Filters!

EDITED: 3-05-22

Oil & Filter Selections
    I chose to continue to run --> -TRIAX- Supreme ESP 5W-40 & 15W-40 Combo with a Fleetguard (Stratapore) LF16035 filter doing 1yr OCI - which will Start in Nov.
    Reason being the Supreme ESP formulation was formulated with a much higher then national average (PPM) of Moly/Boron - to help compensate for the lower levels (PPM) of ZDDP.

If the TRIAX Supreme ESP becomes unavailable at a certain point & time - I won't hesitate to run Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 - via Wamart (Online) or Amazon or (Local) Tractor Supply.
    This is Mobil Delvac - Flagship (PAO based) HDEO!

NOTE: I will also not hesitate to run these other filters if I loose access to the (Stratapore)
    1. Wix 57620XP - (Synthetic Mesh Media) - the XP design has given up some filtering efficiency for more flow.
    2. Baldwin BT7349 - Cellulose Media - but (Very High Quality)
    3. Mobil 1 M1-403 EP - (Synthetic Blend Media) - Very Robust Quality filter
    4. Fram XG3976A - (Synthetic Blend Media) as of last report & 20 Microns @ 99%

I just prefer to run oil filters with the fluted bottom - due to my Green (5.9L & 6.7L specific) fluted oil filter wrench - Makes removal so very easy & fast.
    But the Donaldson DBL7349 higher quality and Filter Efficiency @ 99% Absolute is to to hard to ignore - (But No Fluted Bottom) - Might eventually switch to the DBL7349 at some point.

In the future - Once Deletion has taken place - I will possibly add the Amsoil Single by-pass unit along with a Donaldson DBL7349 in the OEM mount & begin a Extended Drain OCI - with a UOA once a year.
    NOTE: With all emissions still intact - there is just to much soot being absorbed into the oil for extended OCI - Thus short OCI are key! (5K-8K) miles.

MY IDEAL HDEO: A True/100% PAO Synthetic 10W-40 - Extremely Shear Stable & a Perfect Viscosity for Year Round use with the PAO base oil.
    (Partnered up with the Donaldson DBL7349 @ the OEM filter location - with the Amsoil Single Stage by-pass downstream).

68RFE & BW44-47 & Power Steering Unit

TRIAX Global ATF - is what is being run in ALL 3 - 68RFE / BW44-47 / Power Steering Unit @ this point & time.
    Red Line C+ ATF - has proven to perform flawlessly with the 68RFE & will also be run if TRIAX Global ATF becomes unavailable.

The 68RFE service intervals as such - Every 30-40K miles drain pan & refill. (Depends on how much - Med to Heavy Towing is done).
    Every 60-80K miles drop pan replace filters & refill.
    Her BW44-47 & Power Steering service intervals as such - Every 40K miles - (Possibly every 20K miles - suck out the ATF in the Power Steering reservoir & refill).

NOTE: The ATF Thermal By-Pass Delete Block has kept the 68RFE temps in check - ever since install ---> Temps stay between (125*F & 165*F)
    I'm sure once Med/Heavy towing has started for long distances - The ATF temps will get up closer to 180 - 200*F.
    No more worries of the POS (OEM Thermal ATF By-Pass) failing closed & causing 68RFE over heating & then failure.

Front & Rear Differentials

Front Differential: -Red Line- GL-5 75W-90NS - Service every 50K-60K miles - (Depending on amount of 4WD use) - 1gal will perform 2 services - (Drain & Refill) - PML cover is in the future.
    Rear Differential: -Red Line- GL-5 75W-90NS & 75W-140NS combo (2Qts Each) - Service every 35-45K miles - (Depending on the amount of Med/Heavy towing) - With the PML cover - 1gal will fill perfectly & complete the service - (Drain & Refill)
    I have Always been a Red Line (Fan Boy) - I just followed the Positive Results!

NOTE: The Eaton TracRite GT (Anti-Spin) does not require a Gear Oil with the Limited Slip (Friction Modifier) additive.
    Reports say - using the Gear Oil w/LS additive will effect the operation of the TracRite GT.

My 2 other Options - for - (Rear AAM Anti-Slip)
    Mobil Delvac 1 GL-5 75W-90 (No limited Slip Additive added)
    Castrol Syntrax Long Life GL-5 75W-90 & 140 (No Limited Slip Additive added)

I do have a PML cover on the Rear for easy service (due to convenient drain plug) - PML will also be going on the front differential in the near future.

Fuel Filters
    Front Filter - Luber-Finer L6806FXL - (A true 5 micron @ 99% Absolute) - Service every 30K miles.
    Rear Water Seperator - WIX WF10112 or Luber-Finer LFF5106 - (Both show to be around 10-20 micron @ 99% Absolute) - Service every 15K miles.
    Rear Spin On - Donaldson DBF5817 - (A true 4 micron @ 99% Absolute) - Service every 15K miles Or the Claimed 3 micron Fleetguard FF5814.
    Note: Doc's Diesel Filters - Are my next choice if the Luber-Finer are out of stock - These Filters Front & Rear are Identical to each other.
    (Most might Cringe @ this Choice - Docs Diesel Filters have a stellar reputation - & - teamed with the Donaldson DBF5817 - Docs is a quality selection)
    I do think these filters are the same as those produced by Power Train Components.
    My own personal research & conversations show these to be of very good quality.

EDIT: 3-9-22 - As of today - HDEO are getting harder to find on the shelves as well as Filter selections & Prices are constantly going up as I type.
    I will continue to run the listed above filters & HDEO & Gear Oils as long as available - this could change in the future - though I have planned ahead - and have collected a handful of each & stored in my garage cabinet!

Fuel Additives

Due to the Horrific HFRR wear score - Untreated ULSD produces (520 - 636) - I will always run a quality diesel fuel additive to help lower this score. (Quality Fuel Additive with a Strong Lubricity
    My Diesel Fuel Additives of choice - (since the 200 mile mark) - In NO Particular Order.
    A. Hot Shots Secret - EDT (Summer) & Winter Anti-Gel (Winter) & 16oz HSS (Diesel Extreme) - (Every 6 months) - Spring & Winter
    B. Alliant Power - Lubri-Guard (Summer) & Winter-Guard (Winter)
    C. Archoil - AR6500 & AR6400-D - with the help of coupon codes (Through Facebook) when given will be run.
    D. Opti-Lube XPD - Found on Sale - Could possibly be used as well.

Edit - 5/24/21
    One Last Note & I'm finished adding to this post:
    Most might say -- "Diesel Fuel Additives are NOT Necessary & a Total Waste of $$$$$$$"
    My reply to that is:
    "Neither is Smoking / Dipping Snuff / Doing Drugs / Abusing Alcohol - But Millions of Fine Folks do these every second of every day" & They spend 10X the $$$$$ on their addictions compared to I.

So that argument is totally worthless in my garage!

Brake Fluid -
    -Castrol- DOT 4 (Synthetic) - Every 25K miles (Suck Old Fluid out of Reservoir) refill with New.
    Every 100K miles - complete system flush (with the flush kit & wife helping) takes about 30min.

Coolant
    Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT (Ethylene Gycol)
    Drained the Purple Crap out @ the 10K mile mark and refilled with ES Compleat.

EDIT: 12-15-21

I do believe the below info is still decently accurate - I still might choose to run either the Fleetguard LF9028 or Baldwin BD7317 after deletion instead of adding a Single Stage by-pass kit.

Attached Images Attached Images

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

EDIT: 12-22-21

This video will show/explain why I chose to make these 2 oil filters my 2 top choices. (The fluted bottoms really played a large part into my decision)
    Note: Napa Platinum is pretty much Identical to the Wix XP --> Synthetic Media (design is a bit different)

A good detailed comparison of both!

One thing for some to remember ---> I'm different then MOST - I have No Future plans on doing any major (Performance modifications) to my 2017 - Except Deletion with only a Tow Tune & SS Exhaust.
    (I'm always thinking 5-15yrs down the road) Dependability & Reliability

I am more into routine (General) Maintenance --> This is where all my time & thought goes into!
    Running the highest quality Oil / Filters / Diesel Fuel Additives / ATF / Gear Oil -- Is where my OCD & Mind takes me.
    (Not Spending thousands up on thousands of $$$ on Big Wheels/Tires - Lift Kits - Compounds - Your Basic high HP/Torque Mods).

Getting Old I guess - but I still love going 70-80mph across the smooth water on a Sea doo!

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123