Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Older Guy With Problems

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Unhappy New Older Guy With Problems

My truck is a 2012 HO Ram 3500 4X4, used almost exclusively for towing my 18,600 lb toyhauler, and once a year my boat.

Been real happy until now when Check Engine light came on while towing the toyhauler.

Got eleven codes turning on and off the ignition three times.

My code reader was 300 miles away at home.

After another 120 miles and a few hours with the engine shut off the light went off before I restarted the engine.

A week later, after a couple of 100 mile trips without the trailer I pulled the trailer home 600 miles with no check engine light.

Next day, today, I tried to read the codes although there was no light. I read code P2262.

I did not notice that the engine seemed particularly down on power during my trip.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Thanks watersupply189, AnOldBiker thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: New Older Guy With Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Billyboy View Post
    My truck is a 2012 HO Ram 3500 4X4, used almost exclusively for towing my 18,600 lb toyhauler, and once a year my boat.

Been real happy until now when Check Engine light came on while towing the toyhauler.

After another 120 miles and a few hours with the engine shut off the light went off before I restarted the engine.

A week later, after a couple of 100 mile trips without the trailer I pulled the trailer home 600 miles with no check engine light.

Next day, today, I tried to read the codes although there was no light. I read code P2262.

I did not notice that the engine seemed particularly down on power during my trip.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Welcome friend! Someone will chime in that’s had this issue before.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Likes AK Bob, david3gen, Jaxonsram, AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Anyone have any ideas?
    P2262- Turbocharger Boost Pressure Not Detected Mechanical.
    This code is set when the commanded position and the actual position do not match over a calibrated time.
    Possible Causes: Electronic Turbo Actuator or Turbo Charger.

First step, Disconnect the electronic turbo actuator harness connector and check connectors, clean/repair as necessary. Clear the code and see if it returns.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Welcome @Billyboy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Welcome!!

First, follow the procedure posted by @AK Bob.
    Second, Having that many codes at once that all go away by magic sounds electrical.

While you're under the hood check all the other connectors and wire bundles for damage or rodent 'work'.

Third, The more details the better.

How many miles on the truck?

How old are the batteries?

Any modifications like tuner, deletes, turbo upgrades, etc...?

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg

9. Thanks watersupply189, AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob, AnOldBiker liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Billy

Hope ya get your issue resolved - good starting point & advice above.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

11. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, AnOldBiker liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

@Billyboy

Let us know what ya found

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

13. Likes watersupply189, david3gen, AK Bob liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Well, here is what I know for now.

I looked over everything under the hood as well as possible without taking things apart.

I found that the air cleaner was dirty and replaced it.

The truck has 29,000 miles on it. It has been kept indoors its whole life so everything under the hood looks like brand new.

I pulled apart a large electrical connector above the engine, just ahead of the firewall and sprayed some electrical contact cleaner in it, although it didn't appear to need it. I couldn't find the "electronic turbo actuator harness connector" but, as I say, everything is clean and looks like new. There is no evidence of rodent damage anywhere.

The batteries were installed in January 2018. I disconnected them and checked the voltage with my Fluke DVM. Both batteries show 12.56 volts. I set the meter to capture the minimum voltage when starting the engine. The engine cranks perfectly and starts immediately and the minimum voltage is 10.50 volts for just an instant.

The truck is completely bone stock.

A couple of years ago the check engine light came on and the code had to do with the O2 sensor. I took it to the dealer who charged me about $1,000.00 to do the work that I found before taking it to them was a TSB requiring a replacement cable with a gold end on it or something. The TSB required them to check the O2 sensor and replace if needed.

Since the truck only had about 15-20,000 miles on it at the time I really did not think the O2 sensor was bad but the dealer replaced it anyway. Not a surprise at the dealer.

The codes that came up when the check engine light was on were:
    P0580
    P0591
    PICEF
    P0602
    P2A00
    P02E3
    P0562
    P0234
    P006F
    P1507
    P0606

And as I originally mentioned, a few days and probably 800 miles after the light went out on its own, I checked for codes although the light was not on and got the P2262 code.

Yesterday I cleared that code.

I just drove it about 10 miles and dropped it off to have new tires installed. The light was not on when I dropped it off. It seemed to be working fine.

The only times I noticed anything odd with the truck during the last approximately 1,500 mile trip that ended last Saturday was that once or twice it seemed to be in too high a gear when accelerating up an on-ramp, and once or twice it seemed that the cruise control cancelled by itself.

Some of the codes involve the cruise control. P0602 and P0606 regard the Control Module, which sounds ominous.

I'm wondering if there may a TSB regarding these problems???

I plan to tow my boat to the lake for about 800 miles round trip next week and would really like to get there and back.

Right now everything seems OK.

Any ideas?

15. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Well, here is what I know for now.

I looked over everything under the hood as well as possible without taking things apart.

I found that the air cleaner was dirty and replaced it.

The truck has 29,000 miles on it. It has been kept indoors its whole life so everything under the hood looks like brand new.

I pulled apart a large electrical connector above the engine, just ahead of the firewall and sprayed some electrical contact cleaner in it, although it didn't appear to need it. I couldn't find the "electronic turbo actuator harness connector" but, as I say, everything is clean and looks like new. There is no evidence of rodent damage anywhere.

The batteries were installed in January 2018. I disconnected them and checked the voltage with my Fluke DVM. Both batteries show 12.56 volts. I set the meter to capture the minimum voltage when starting the engine. The engine cranks perfectly and starts immediately and the minimum voltage is 10.50 volts for just an instant.

The truck is completely bone stock.

A couple of years ago the check engine light came on and the code had to do with the O2 sensor. I took it to the dealer who charged me about $1,000.00 to do the work that I found before taking it to them was a TSB requiring a replacement cable with a gold end on it or something. The TSB required them to check the O2 sensor and replace if needed.

Since the truck only had about 15-20,000 miles on it at the time I really did not think the O2 sensor was bad but the dealer replaced it anyway. Not a surprise at the dealer.

The codes that came up when the check engine light was on were:
    P0580
    P0591
    PICEF
    P0602
    P2A00
    P02E3
    P0562
    P0234
    P006F
    P1507
    P0606

And as I originally mentioned, a few days and probably 800 miles after the light went out on its own, I checked for codes although the light was not on and got the P2262 code.

Yesterday I cleared that code.

I just drove it about 10 miles and dropped it off to have new tires installed. The light was not on when I dropped it off. It seemed to be working fine.

The only times I noticed anything odd with the truck during the last approximately 1,500 mile trip that ended last Saturday was that once or twice it seemed to be in too high a gear when accelerating up an on-ramp, and once or twice it seemed that the cruise control cancelled by itself.

Some of the codes involve the cruise control. P0602 and P0606 regard the Control Module, which sounds ominous.

I'm wondering if there may a TSB regarding these problems???

I plan to tow my boat to the lake for about 800 miles round trip next week and would really like to get there and back.

Right now everything seems OK.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you have taken very good care of her.

Hopefully these additional details will help others come up with additional things to check.

Greg
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast