Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need an air box part

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Need an air box part

Hello all.....I’m new here.

I have 2015 Ram 3500 with 6.7 Cummins TurboDeisel. Lately I’ve been getting a Service Air Filter message on acceleration and it turns out that there is a small white plastic insert that locks the articulating arms for the forward and aft flap doors of the Ram Air air intake. It’s a ball and socket arrangement and this insert sits in the ball side and locks with the socket. It looks like a 10 cent part. The Ram dealer says that it comes as a unit with the air box at a price of $450 CDN......I’m a bit outraged by that. Does anybody sell this part?

Thanks!
    Randy

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Need an air box part

Quote Originally Posted by RandyAB View Post
    Hello all.....I’m new here.

I have 2015 Ram 3500 with 6.7 Cummins TurboDeisel. Lately I’ve been getting a Service Air Filter message on acceleration and it turns out that there is a small white plastic insert that locks the articulating arms for the forward and aft flap doors of the Ram Air air intake. It’s a ball and socket arrangement and this insert sits in the ball side and locks with the socket. It looks like a 10 cent part. The Ram dealer says that it comes as a unit with the air box at a price of $450 CDN......I’m a bit outraged by that. Does anybody sell this part?

Thanks!
    Randy
    Welcome Randy! Have you checked eBay or Amazon?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks RandyAB thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Also maybe some guys here that have abandoned their stock air box for an aftermarket filter setup. Anyone have a stock air box for sale?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks RandyAB thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

The service air filter message pops up when you have either a restrictive filter (dirty) or a post filter air leak. Are you getting a check engine light with this message or just the message? If your active air system has failed, you would have a CEL & code.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

8. Thanks RandyAB thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Also check the air intake tube that's in the inner fender it's a corrugated tube and it collapses.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

10. Thanks RandyAB thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Changing the air filter was the first thing I did. The engine code is not permanent. I have a Bluecurve code reader and it’s not showing an error.
    When I kept getting the message I opened the air box again and it was at that point that I saw that the two arms of the air gates that are supposed to articulate with each other in unison were no longer connected and the reason was a small plastic insert that acts to lock the ball joint assembly together had broken.

12. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I did.

It is pristine.

14. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RandyAB View Post
    Changing the air filter was the first thing I did. The engine code is not permanent. I have a Bluecurve code reader and it’s not showing an error.
    When I kept getting the message I opened the air box again and it was at that point that I saw that the two arms of the air gates that are supposed to articulate with each other in unison were no longer connected and the reason was a small plastic insert that acts to lock the ball joint assembly together had broken.
    Does anyone know where he can find the broken parts or have a used air box with these parts for sale?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Where are you located? I would look on FB marketplace and craigslist for a whole air box. Even at $100 for a used one your $350 ahead

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

OK, I'm old.

But I got many of odd small single parts from a pick-u-part type lot or junk yard.

Prices were cheap.

If nothing else, check an insurance repair shop.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

20. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast