Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  46
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New To Diesel and Towing - Am I Doing This Right?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

New To Diesel and Towing - Am I Doing This Right?

New Cummins owner here, with some basic towing questions.

I have never towed much before, besides small boats, utility trailers short distance.

I am also a first time diesel owner.

I just bought a brand new leftover 18 Cummins 2500 in February, and a 29FT Travel Trailer last month. About 8K lbs. loaded.

The wife and I took our first longer trip with it last weekend, 400 miles.

Before we take some more trips this summer I wanted to check in with a few questions I have.

The truck is deleted with EFI Live, and 4 power levels, +30 +60 +90 and +120HP.

I have been daily driving it in +60, and just left it in this setting for the last tow. Is this where I should be?

I just read on this forum some mention of locking out the 6th gear when towing, which I did not do on my last trip.

Was this a mistake? My trans temp when commuting to work is around 160-165. When towing it was up to 170.

I put 35" tires on the truck with the factory 3.42 rear end. I'm thinking this is a less-than-ideal setup for towing?

Should I make it a priority to upgrade to 3.73 or 4.10?

Also, fuel economy commuting has been between 20-21 MPG. The trip with the camper was 12.5, are these pretty typical figures?

I am pretty impressed, but also I am new to this and I'm not sure what is normal.

Finally, not completely towing related, but driving around this truck tuned at +60HP has me a little nervous.

I love the power and fuel economy from the delete, but I have been driving it really easy out of caution, especially with a load.

Should I be this worried about transmission life?

2. Thanks SyN, AnOldBiker, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, AnOldBiker, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Hey @King2500 all of these are good questions and ones that are common with new Diesel owners, especially owners of tuned trucks.

My perspective is below and I am others will chime in with theirs as well.

My truck was also on 35s but had 3.73 gears. 90hp tune was my everyday tune. Even when towing as long as the route was generally flat.

Always in tow/haul mode but just let the truck use whatever gear it wanted. When towing in the mountains, I would drop to the 30hp tune and also lock the trans to 5th gear.

The on time I forgot to lock out 6th I slipped the trans when it down shiftier while trying to pass a slower vehicle and going up a grade in the VA mountains.

It scared the crap out of me and I never forgot again.

Your temps some in line and don't be surprised if you see higher when in stop and go traffic on a hot summer day.

You mileage numbers are great.

I never got that good with 35s, but that may be a benefit of the 3.42s over the 3.73s.

I don't see regearing as a necessity, 3.42 is the standard ratio since 2013 models and plenty of guys run 35s and tow regularly without issue.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Thanks SyN, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, AnOldBiker, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Your trans and motor temps should be slightly higher when towing.

5* isn't that big of a deal when towing/under a load.

60HP tune while towing shouldn't do much to your truck.

More will chime in, but I know from others who tow with an 80HP tune on their diesels with no issues at all (one being my dad and his dirtymax with a 36' 5th wheel).

Those MPG numbers are pretty good!

Considering I don't have all of the work you have done to yours, but i'm riding on 35's and i'm getting 14mpg per tank.

This weekend will be my first trip towing our little camper and i'm expecting a drop in mileage, but I am expecting for it to be better than my last tow rig (2013 F150 Ecoboost) which towed our camper at an amazing 8mpg.

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

6. Likes Power247, AnOldBiker, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Your mileage is way better than what I get empty on 33s.

Just took 4 hour trip over the holiday weekend driving between 60-75 most of the way and only got 18mpg on 120hp tune.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

8. Likes Power247, SyN, AnOldBiker, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    Your mileage is way better than what I get empty on 33s.

Just took 4 hour trip over the holiday weekend driving between 60-75 most of the way and only got 18mpg on 120hp tune.
    Just to clarify, my daily commute is all 55 mph.

I don't get on the highway as much, but when I get to 70-75 MPH I'm seeing more like 17-18 haha.

10. Likes AnOldBiker, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post

The on time I forgot to lock out 6th I slipped the trans when it down shiftier while trying to pass a slower vehicle and going up a grade in the VA mountains.

It scared the crap out of me and I never forgot again.
    Wow that definitely sounds like a learning moment! I'm glad I asked, I will be locking out 6th every time now.

I would drop to the 30hp tune and also lock the trans to 5th gear.
    I have a CSP4 "switch-on-the-fly", but I haven't used it yet.

I heard when switching tunes the trans has to totally relearn itself, and you risk trans damage if you don't drive extra easy.

Is there any truth to this?

I would like to use it more if I can.

I don't see regearing as a necessity, 3.42 is the standard ratio since 2013 models and plenty of guys run 35s and tow regularly without issue.
    That is good to hear! Thanks for your input i appreciate it!

12. Likes AnOldBiker, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

When towing that much load I would suggest running your lowest HP tune just to help protect the transmission.

I long distance tow a center console boat that is a little lighter and less wind resistant than your TT.

I use tow haul and I will tow in 6th but I keep an eye on a few things.

First is I will not allow the engine to pull hard in 6th gear below 1400 - 1500 RPM.

Which is about 65 mph.

If I have to go slower than that I will manually lock out 6th gear.

Also even running 70 mph if I see a bigger hill coming up I will manually shift down into 5th before I get to the hill so that the shift is already completed and the torque converter is already locked back up before I get to the hill.

The truck has plenty of power to pull virtually any hill in 6th with my boat but I'm trying to help the tranny live.

I'll also manually downshift before getting hard on the throttle to step out and pass someone if I'm going to floor it Ill use 4th gear.

14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJo View Post

60HP tune while towing shouldn't do much to your truck.

Those MPG numbers are pretty good!
    Thank you!

The delete made a huge difference for my mileage.

Good luck on your first trip this weekend!

15. Likes AnOldBiker, watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by King2500 View Post
    New Cummins owner here, with some basic towing questions.

I have never towed much before, besides small boats, utility trailers short distance.

I am also a first time diesel owner.

I just bought a brand new leftover 18 Cummins 2500 in February, and a 29FT Travel Trailer last month. About 8K lbs. loaded.

The wife and I took our first longer trip with it last weekend, 400 miles.

Before we take some more trips this summer I wanted to check in with a few questions I have.

The truck is deleted with EFI Live, and 4 power levels, +30 +60 +90 and +120HP.

I have been daily driving it in +60, and just left it in this setting for the last tow. Is this where I should be? That's fine if you don't drive it like you have something to prove and the terrain isn't mountainous, otherwise I'd use the lowest HP setting.

I just read on this forum some mention of locking out the 6th gear when towing, which I did not do on my last trip.

Was this a mistake? My trans temp when commuting to work is around 160-165. When towing it was up to 170. Those aren't bad but always try to remember to lock it out like Power already suggested.

I put 35" tires on the truck with the factory 3.42 rear end. I'm thinking this is a less-than-ideal setup for towing?

Should I make it a priority to upgrade to 3.73 or 4.10? I'd do 4.10s if you plan to tow and have 35s.

Also, fuel economy commuting has been between 20-21 MPG. The trip with the camper was 12.5, are these pretty typical figures? Those numbers are good. I always hand calculate since the evic is usually 0.5-1.5mpg off.

I am pretty impressed, but also I am new to this and I'm not sure what is normal.

Finally, not completely towing related, but driving around this truck tuned at +60HP has me a little nervous. Don't be nervous, just drive it with care and common sense and it'll be fine.

I love the power and fuel economy from the delete, but I have been driving it really easy out of caution, especially with a load.

Should I be this worried about transmission life? ?For towing, I'd recommend you get a Trans Temp gauge and a Pyrometer gauge. PM or email me if you'd like more information or to place an order.

I'll post this again since the original disappeared into the rabbit hole..

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Likes AnOldBiker, Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

19. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast