Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Only Starts On Ether

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Only Starts On Ether

My 2003 runs great when started, but only start with ether and has new batteries.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Only Starts On Ether

That's probably the most interesting (um, unique) first post I've seen and welcome to the world of IGOTA

BTW... I'm not a mechanic, not even a little, but I'd start with a compression test.

Keep us posted buddy.

2016 Longhorn 3500, 4x4 shortbed CrewCab, Cummins HO/AISIN, 99.8% stock.
    * Hauling a 2018 Northstar Arrow-U. Scale weight 12,400 Lb.

3. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Is there a question here?

If your tired of the ether squirt, it likely needs injectors.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

5. Thanks Electrojake thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by w2dart View Post
    My 2003 runs great when started, but only start with ether and has new batteries.
    Your injectors are needing replaced more than likely but you're not doing it any favors by using ether.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I'm with them on the injectors but lets dig a little before throwing that kind of money at it.

Does it turn over well just not start or does it lag?

Do you have some sort of fuel pump like a FASS/Airdog?

2003 was prone to problems with fuel hence why they retrofitted most of them with an in-tank pump. does your truck have a lift pump or in-tank pump?

The reason I say this is before I did my injectors, I had 2 mechanics tell me it was injectors I needed.

I put a FASS and a CP3 bag of parts kit and it fixed it.

It turns out my FCA was bad.

I eventually replaced injectors and CP3 because I wanted to.

You could also have a pinhole in one of your fuel lines allowing it to lose pressure and leak down but not big enough to leak fuel; this would cause it to lose prime.

Your injectors could be bad and allowing fuel leak down, losing prime as well.

On a side note, another time my truck was improperly diagnosed with bad injectors (my II injectors were 2 months old) I had a brand new set of batteries and the passenger side battery had a short in the negative post which was causing hard starts. it would still turn over good but would take forever to start due to not having the right voltage.

So I would start by making sure you have good batteries, good fuel supply and pressure, and checking the lines before going to injectors, but you need more information to help narrow it down.

Does it act the same if it sits for 10 mins as if it sits overnight?

Being these trucks were prone to fuel issues from the beginning i'd definitely start making sure I have good fuel supply.

You could still need injectors but if you replace injectors and have a fuel issue you could burn up new injectors.

How many miles are on the truck and does the issue improve or deteriorate with ambient temperature change?

04 3500 SRW 4x4. 4.5" icon stage 5 w/ full progressive rear leaf and 2.5 shocks, 20x9 procomp alloys, 37x13.50R20 Baja boss A/T, synergy steering, ARP headstuds, flopro 4” stainless, coolant bypass, oil bypass, smarty touch w/ custom tuning, fleece powerflo 750 CP3, fleece 2nd gen swap w/ AFE stainless manifold and s463, II 100hp injectors, AFE intercooler, pusher mega Intake with cross-air and mega tubes, fass titanium 165, Precision 48RE w/ billet upgrades and valve body, DPC 1800 stall billet triple disc, talon custom front/rear driveshafts, 4.11 gears. Fab fours black steel bumpers ~20 hwy ~17 city

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post