Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5th Gen Sunroof Leaking

1. Top Of Page | #1

5th Gen Sunroof Leaking

I've got 8500 miles on my 19' and every time it rains or last winter when we got heavy wet snow I will get in my truck to find the floor mat soaked and water peeing out of the vent right above the drivers seat.

The last couple times it is running out the pillar and down the dash.

I've taken the truck into the dealer twice the first time for recalls one of which was apparently to check for sunroof seal/leaking.

The second visit was for the leak problem still happening and of course they found no issues.

I've got pictures showing the water pissing out and the water soaked headliner.

Any other 5th Gen owners having this issue?

2. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 5th Gen Sunroof Leaking

Nothing in DealerConnect about this issue so it doesn't appear to be widespread.

Sounds like a gasket issue for the sunroof but your dealer should be fixing this.

If your dealer wont fix it, take it to another dealer.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

4. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

khaddon: Not trying to be a smart A$$ - but this is the main reason I didn't care to even look at models with the sunroof...

My wifes Ford did the same thing - dealer never could get enough intelligence together to solve/fix the issue - Traded it for a non sunroof crossover....

Your issue is seems to be a normal problem for a lot of models... Especially for those owners whom can't seem to leave it be --> Opened/Closed - Open/ Closed every time they drive...
    I hope ya can find a dealer that can fix it!

Keep us up to date on the progress...

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

6. Likes Electrojake liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

Just picked up the truck this morning......parts are on order. Apparently I'm getting a whole new sunroof assembly including.....as he said "with thicker glass and seals". I don't ever put a lot of stock in what dealers tell me.......Most people I'm sure don't have a clue. I have heard this is why ram doesn't put the double sun roof in the HD trucks........too much torque and cab twist to keep them sealed

8. Likes SyN, Electrojake liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by khaddon2110 View Post
    Just picked up the truck this morning......parts are on order. Apparently I'm getting a whole new sunroof assembly including.....as he said "with thicker glass and seals". I don't ever put a lot of stock in what dealers tell me.......Most people I'm sure don't have a clue. I have heard this is why ram doesn't put the double sun roof in the HD trucks........too much torque and cab twist to keep them sealed
    The HDs don't get the Pano roof because the roof isn't long enough.

Whenever FCA switches over to the actual 5th gen cab for the HD the pano will probably become available then.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Not trying to be a smart A$$ - but this is the main reason I didn't care to even look at models with the sunroof...
    My wifes Ford did the same thing - dealer never could get enough intelligence together to solve/fix the issue - Traded it for a non sunroof crossover....
    You issue Stinks - I hope ya can find a dealer that can fix it!
    Keep us up to date on the progress...
    Yup! @SyN,

I factory ordered my Longhorn 3500 specifically without a sunroof, without the push button starter, without the adjustable pedals, without the rear window defroster, without the air-adjust rear suspension, etc, etc.

Thus I've never had an issue with any of those things.

Now if only I could have ordered it without the killer grid heater bolt issue and without the leaking 3rd brake light, and without the rubber fan shroud disaster issue, etc, etc...
    -Jake-

2016 Longhorn 3500, 4x4 shortbed CrewCab, Cummins HO/AISIN, 99.8% stock.
    * Hauling a 2018 Northstar Arrow-U. Scale weight 12,400 Lb.

11. Likes Thomas1960 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

Truck is in the dealer today getting the new sunroof assembly installed under warranty.

Hopefully my truck will stop peeing on me through the headliner whenever it rains.

13. Likes AK Bob, Thomas1960 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

Dealer installed new sun roof assembly and kept it overnight to run it through the carwash multiple times.

Next morning get a call saying they took everything apart and ended up putting my original sunroof assembly back in.

Apparently, the new one was doing exactly the same thing.

The dealer started a (star?) case file with ram and taking up to the next level.

So I wait...

15. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

5th Gen Sunroof Leaking

Quote Originally Posted by khaddon2110 View Post
    Dealer installed new sun roof assembly and kept it overnight to run it through the carwash multiple times.

Next morning get a call saying they took everything apart and ended up putting my original sunroof assembly back in.

Apparently, the new one was doing exactly the same thing.

The dealer started a (star?) case file with ram and taking up to the next level.

So I wait...
    Sorry to hear that, very disappointing.

I hope they get this case resolved quickly.

On the lighter side STAR must stand for “Secure Tarp Above Roof”

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

17. Top Of Page | #10

well they had the truck over the weekend at my local dealer......actually had it through Wednesday. When I picked it up they now tell me they have ordered more parts. Apparently the first time they replaced only the glass. Now they have ordered the entire sunroof kit including new glass, motor, brackets, and guides. Everything between the headliner and roof. When the parts come in, the truck will head to the body shop where after complete disassembly, it will undergo body work and paint to bring the roof contour into spec. There is a visual sag in the middle of the roof being caused by the glass pulling down on the metal every time the roof is opened. They have tried every type of alignment configuration to try and get a seal with no success.

I've always had sunroofs in my vehicles and trucks with no issues....i'm beginning to question my judgement going forward.

18. Likes AK Bob liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast