Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12" Sub and Amp Install

1. Top Of Page | #1

12" Sub and Amp Install

So I installed an Alpine 12" type S sub and a 1250W Soundstream mono amp in my 5th Gen.

I've got an interesting yet troubling problem I've yet to figure out.

I have what sounds like a ground loop of some sort going on however, when I roll either the drivers window or passenger window down about half way the engine hum noise goes away.

I can eliminate the noise by opening either front door as well.

I have verified multiple times all my ground connections and made them as short as possible at the amp.

I've also tried a couple different ground loop isolators with no effect.

New cabling no change.

I guess my next move is trying a different location to pull ACC line voltage for the remote turn on to my amp.

I removed the remote turn on to the LOC to see if that would help because it can trigger ON automatically when it receives and input.

I know audio wiring issues can be a PITA but I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks

2. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 12" Sub and Amp Install

Quote Originally Posted by khaddon2110 View Post
    So I installed an Alpine 12" type S sub and a 1250W Soundstream mono amp in my 5th Gen.

I have what sounds like a ground loop of some sort going on however, when I roll either the drivers window or passenger window down about half way the engine hum noise goes away.

I have verified multiple times all my ground connections and made them as short as possible at the amp.

New cabling no change.

I guess my next move is trying a different location to pull ACC line voltage for the remote turn on to my amp.

I removed the remote turn on to the LOC to see if that would help because it can trigger ON automatically when it receives and input.

Thanks
    I'm fighting this issue in my '19 as well.

Reading has pointed me to the ANC (active noise cancelling) being way too sensitive from the factory.

Supposedly there is a flash update the dealership can perform that helps but may not eliminate it.

I ordered an ANC bypass for my truck. It is waiting for me when I get home and will post results when I get it installed.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg

4. Thanks khaddon2110 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Please do. I'm at a loss right now. I've installed audio equipment many times in many different vehicles over the years and this is a first.

Side note:. I'm a member of a local car wash that uses an RFID system to enter.....the 19's don't work for some reason.....they seem to think it's some sort of shielding system on the gen 5's

6. Likes Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Please do. I'm at a loss right now. I've installed audio equipment many times in many different vehicles over the years and this is a first.

Side note:. I'm a member of a local car wash that uses an RFID system to enter.....the 19's don't work for some reason.....they seem to think it's some sort of shielding system on the gen 5's
    Will do! I'll be back home on Thursday and have it installed either Friday or over the weekend.

Greg

Greg

8. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

Update*** I've been doing a lot of searching about Ram's ANC systems since your reply.

I found another forum link that had instructions on how to unplug all the ANC mics at the amp.....this however can cause other problems like losing voice controls or the ability for people to hear you on BT calls.

Someone else suggested unplugging the mics in the headliner.

I have solved my problem at this point and will continue to monitor things but right now everything is working as it should with zero ANC feedback to the bass notes.

I unplugged the two mics above the front seats and the noise was gone so then I plugged the drivers seat mic back in and still no noise.

Plugging the mic over the passenger front seat causes the noise.

I just left that one mic unplugged and snapped the mic back in.

I have fought this for a couple months now such a simple system can cause so much headache!

10. Likes Power247, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Update*** I've been doing a lot of searching about Ram's ANC systems since your reply.

I found another forum link that had instructions on how to unplug all the ANC mics at the amp.....this however can cause other problems like losing voice controls or the ability for people to hear you on BT calls.

I have solved my problem at this point and will continue to monitor things but right now everything is working as it should with zero ANC feedback to the bass notes.

I unplugged the two mics above the front seats and the noise was gone so then I plugged the drivers seat mic back in and still no noise.

I have fought this for a couple months now such a simple system can cause so much headache!
    Thanks for posting back.

I saw that too but didn't want to take a chance damaging the headliner.

The bypass was $25 shipped so I figured what the heck, it's worth a try.

I hope to get it installed and put the amp and subs back in today or tomorrow.

Greg

Greg

12. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I just finished installing the bypass harness and it worked like a charm.

Here's the link in case someone else has this issue and doesn't want to deal with pulling the mics from the headliner.

https://lljcustoms.com/store/ols/pro...ram-anc-bypass

Greg

14. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

New cabling no change.

Thanks
    Are you using RCA cable or a high frequency converter to get the sound to the amp?

A common problem is running your amp power and RCA cables next to each other.

I usually try to run the RCA cables down one side of the vehicle and power down the other side.

Not sure what your setup is, but maybe this will help.

EDIT: I didn't read the entire post at first.

Looks like you got it figured out.

16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I know this thread is super old. But does anyone have any guidance on what I’ll need besides this ANC bypass cable?

17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rc51con View Post
    I know this thread is super old.

But does anyone have any guidance on what I’ll need besides this ANC bypass cable?
    The ANC bypass cable eliminates the feedback created when adding higher powered speakers into the system.

Nothing else needed to accomplish this.

Greg

Greg

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast