Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5" Exhaust Vibration

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: 5" Exhaust Vibration

4" usually no rattles.

My 5 inch was touching the firewall heat pad, the cross member and the spare tire heat shield.

I loosened and rotated the downpipe to avoid that heat pad.

In doing so it moved the pipe 1/2" away from the cross member and used a crowbar to bend the living crap out of that spare tire heat shield.

No vibes after that. Hope that helps.

2012 Ram 3500 HO w/4.10
    Hellbent 2.5 level Bilstein 5100's
    Double R Diesel Warp tunes
    HPP egr delete
    FloPro 5" w/muffler
    CCV filter delete hose reroute to frame

2. Thanks Mdavlee, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Mdavlee, SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Haven't gotten a reply back to my original question.

If your truck is 2019+ check the V-band bolt as it is long enough to touch the transmission hard lines if you clocked it at the bottom of the pipe like I did.

For all other years, check the heat shields up front as well as make sure your exhaust isn't touching your spare tire heat shield (I removed mine) or the suspension on a coil spring truck.

There is enough adjustment in the hangers/hanger brackets to make the system fit without touching anything.

The spare tire heat shield had to be removed on my 19 as there was no way the pipe was clearing between in & the coil spring and I didn't want some bent up piece of metal under my truck.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

4. Likes Mdavlee, SyN, watersupply189, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Any update?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBeard68 View Post
    My 2011 has a 5" TBE that is at least five years old, likely far older.

When I bought it almost a year ago, it had a chrome tip on the exhaust, which was getting some rust, and drew far too much attention, so I took it off.

It never rattled at all prior, but as soon as I took the tip off it began the same at low idle intermittent rumble/rattle.

I've climbed back and forth on multiple occasions, it's not hitting anywhere!

The V-band is something I'll try, after soaking it with some liquid wrench.

Frustrating for sure!

Seems unlikely but maybe that tip was just heavy enough to pull the tailpipe down enough that it wouldn't rattle and now it's sitting higher with the tip removed?

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

7. Thanks GrayBeard68 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, GrayBeard68 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

The weight of the chrome tip is the only thing that I can tie the vibration to.

I've crawled from front to back numerous times, with and without the engine running, and can't find any place that the exhaust touches anything.

The hangers all look good, so hopefully later this week I'll get it up on the neighbor's hoist and try to tighten the V-band clamp.

It has gotten less noticeable since last fall, although perhaps I'm just better at ignoring it!

I should mention that the system does have a resonator, but I can't get anything to rattle by 'giggling' it while the truck off.

If I pull down on the outlet, it quits.

Sorry for the long post, but if we can find the issue, perhaps we can help others.

Hopefully everyone had a safe and fun Independence Day weekend!

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

So guys I’m having this same issue.

I have a 5 “ FLO~PRO with one of there huge Mufflers installed and I get a crazy rattle at the end of the tailpipe.

It’s not hitting anything at all it literally just shaking the pipe.

I looked it over and I e got one hanger at the down pipe and one hanger near the very rear that’s being used so it looks like I need to have someone wield some hangers in the middle there’s too much weight with no hangers there.

Anyone else have this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I have the same exhaust, but with an fte resonator and have no issues.

I also have a hanger close to the downpipe, one about 2ft from that, one under the bed and one right by the spare holding the tailpipe in place.

So four altogether.

The tailpipe does not move.

Those were already in the exhaust pipe from FLO~PRO

Mine is a 16 mega cab so might be diff from yours.

However, they do recommend a few spot welds at the seams.

If you can get on the hanger just before the bend over the rear axle you should be good to go.

2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 - 2.5" Carli PinTop, RevMax Signature 700, FASS 165, Evilfab 2nd Gen swap w/ S464, 5" TBE & nut'n but engine under the hood
    2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax CC 4x4 - Complete Delete w/ FASS 150 | EZ Lync w/ PPEI SOTF
    2012 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax CC 4x4 - Bone Stock
    2004 & 2006 Ford F250 PowerJoke CC King Ranch 4x4 (aka "POS#1" & "POS #2") - Bought back by Ford @ 8k miles / 12K miles

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmojo View Post
    I have the same exhaust, but with an fte resonator and have no issues.

I also have a hanger close to the downpipe, one about 2ft from that, one under the bed and one right by the spare holding the tailpipe in place.

So four altogether.

The tailpipe does not move.

Those were already in the exhaust pipe from FLO~PRO

Mine is a 16 mega cab so might be diff from yours.

However, they do recommend a few spot welds at the seams.

If you can get on the hanger just before the bend over the rear axle you should be good to go.

Yea looking at mine it’s only got two hangers installed.

One at downpipe and one after bend at back.

There’s 3 other spots on my truck for hangers and I’m about 90% sure that’s my issue.

Gonna take it to a Exhaust place Friday and have them weld some hangers on her.....

15. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Go back and check that all the connections are fully inserted and tight.

Mine did the same thing after the 1st month and loose connections will cause vibrations.

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

17. Thanks MillsRam thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, MillsRam liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    Go back and check that all the connections are fully inserted and tight.

Mine did the same thing after the 1st month and loose connections will cause vibrations.
    Yea still vibrating like a SOA.... I’m gonna go try and get some hangers wielded this week . Every single connection is tight , I swear seems like the muffler may be too much back pressure and causing it . I may try to take a video , can we post vids on here ?

19. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast