Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: 68RFE How hot is too hot?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE How hot is too hot?

While towing our 6,000 lb camper up to Fort Mountain state park in Georgia, I saw the trans temp hit 218*. On flat ground, it never moves from around 170*, even towing around 14,000 lb. It has me wondering if I'm about to have trouble. I kept it in third most of the time and went slow. Stayed under 2,000 rpm. Truck is deleted with EZ Lynk tuner and PPEI 30hp tune with TCM tune. Should I be concerned? Thanks!

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE How hot is too hot?

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    While towing our 6,000 lb camper up to Fort Mountain state park in Georgia, I saw the trans temp hit 218*. On flat ground, it never moves from around 170*, even towing around 14,000 lb. It has me wondering if I'm about to have trouble. I kept it in third most of the time and went slow. Stayed under 2,000 rpm. Truck is deleted with EZ Lynk tuner and PPEI 30hp tune with TCM tune. Should I be concerned? Thanks!
    Try washing out the front of the transmission cooler and radiator.

You would be surprised the amount of dirt and leaves that can accumulate.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

200* is kind of the upper threshold for transmission life.

My 68 in my 19 got up to 193* while out crawling on a super hot day.

Kind of disappointed by the temp getting that high, I’m thinking a pusher fan on the trans cooler is gonna be in order.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Back when I started towing with my 2012 that had the 68 in it I did a ton of research on trans temps.

What I found was this... Trans temps should be roughly 100-110 degrees higher than ambient air temp.

If not being “worked”.

Could also be lower if the trans is healthy.

If you start seeing 225+.... regularly... it’s on its way out.

I monitored my trans temps all the time after that and it seemed to hold true.

If it was 80 outside.. trans would run 180-190 towing (but not heavy towing).

If I was empty it would be in the 170 range.

Highest I ever saw was 208, got stopped in road construction on a 7% grade that seemed to go right to the heavens.

Had to work all the way to the top in second gear at about 15mph from a dead stop.

Poor trans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Dodge 2500 6 inch suspension lift 4 inch body lift sitting on 41's DPF delete Straight pipe turbo back twin stacks road armour front and rear bumpers mini max tuner...tuned by DOUBLE R DIESEL

8. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Try washing out the front of the transmission cooler and radiator.

You would be surprised the amount of dirt and leaves that can accumulate.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    What would you say is the best way to wash them out? Hose, or pressure washer on low? Also, do they need to be removed prior to spraying, or you just spray em down with simple green and rinse or something?

I live on a mountain and my drive home is 12 miles uphill. Unloaded (I don’t tow anything yet) tranny gets to around 205-210

2012 2500 4WD, CCLB 68RFE, 2.75" Carli Level with Bilstein 5100s, and still a ways to go...

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Taistee View Post
    What would you say is the best way to wash them out? Hose, or pressure washer on low? Also, do they need to be removed prior to spraying, or you just spray em down with simple green and rinse or something?

I live on a mountain and my drive home is 12 miles uphill. Unloaded (I don’t tow anything yet) tranny gets to around 205-210

Hose would be your best bet.

Pressure washer could damage the fins.

No need to remove them and don’t use any kind of chemicals that could potentially damage the aluminum.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

12. Thanks Taistee thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Power247 liked this post