Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough Idle and Stutter - HELP

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Rough Idle and Stutter - HELP

I'm helping my brother in law fix his 04 Cummins, truck is stock minus exhaust and intake, smarty (not installed). has 250k miles.

Issue is abnormal black smoke when accelerating and stutter, also idles rough and stutters when reving in park and will blow black smoke when reving in park as well. And a somewhat long crank imo. Maybe 3-4 seconds. No mil light

What I found when he dropped the truck off.
    Gummed up fuel filter(very nasty almost sludge like)
    Dirt in bottom on filter housing
    Very dirty air cleaner
    Fuel smelled weird and was red (i know farm) didn't smell right still

I replaced fuel filter flushed the lines. Drained and cleaned tank, cleaner airfilter.

The truck still has the symptoms. I put fresh fuel in and some diesel kleen. And drove it a little bit. Nothing changed.

What I know, truck has had Injectors replaced about 100k ish miles ago, and has the intank pump conversation. Truck ran fine last week and randomly did this.

I'm kinda stuck Im not sure how to guage fuel pressure and check rail pressure, or see Injector pulse/voltage. I have a small scanner that doenst pull up anything useful and I have a obdlink which doesn't show much either regarding Injection system. And my Alfa obd doesn't work on the truck.

Any and all help appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

With everything you said! Good possibility injectors are shot and cod be stuck open. If injection pump was starving due to low or no fuel pressure getting to it. Injection pump could be shot. Need to probably get a scan tool that can read high side fuel pressure and turn on and off injectors.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha522 View Post
    With everything you said! Good possibility injectors are shot and cod be stuck open. If injection pump was starving due to low or no fuel pressure getting to it. Injection pump could be shot. Need to probably get a scan tool that can read high side fuel pressure and turn on and off injectors.

What kind of scan tool do I need to check that? Any way I can do it with my obdlink?

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

You would need one that can do bi directional. I am a Mac Tools dealer. So the 2 that I know a good amount about are the Mac Tools Scout and MDT10.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

You would need one that can do bi directional. I am a Mac Tools dealer. So the 2 that I know a good amount about are the Mac Tools Scout and MDT10.

I have the Smarty Touch. I can see high side fuel pressure.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Ok thanks I'll see if I can track someone down with one. What a easy way to check lift pump pressure. He is on a low low budget and I'm limited on tools so buying special tools might be out of question. Hate to take it to dealer. To tell me it's Injectors then I tow it back and replace them myself.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Lift pump pressure can be checked going into the injection pump. Remove the line from the lift pump and set it in a large water or pop bottle. Cycle the key and see how much comes out. You should get a good amount. You may not get the actual pressure, but can at least check the amount.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Well for what's it's worth I left filter out and filter cap off and cycled key to flush lines out with new fuel and alot of fuel came out. Do I know it's pumping. I just wasn't sure if pressure would made a difference in driveability or affect the CP3. I know the vp trucks won't run but not sure on these.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I have a 2004.5. I had an injector take out my number 6 cylinder. Had to replace the engine. I put an Air Dog system on it and Bosch OEM injectors with the engine. Did a 2nd gen turbo swap with after market air ram. Smarty Touch tuner and love the truck even more. I also have a 2003 Freightliner MT45 with the 5.9. Went thru 2 lift pumps before putting an Fass Fuel system on it. Hopefully I pointed you in the right direction. Having a bad fuel system in a diesel can be costly.

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Ouch, glad to hear it turned out better, hopefully this isn't the case and I don't think it is, the truck started running funny and he parked it right away.

I've had a couple 2nd Gens and a 3rd Gen and that was first thing I did was fuel system.

It's not my truck just trying to help.

11. Likes Yamaha522 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast