Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Two Truck Tuner Question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Two Truck Tuner Question

Understand about being an LPM, but I'll throw this out there anyway, before I decide to go LPM or not.

Recently purchased a 2015 Laramie Longhorn 2500 Mega Cab (68RFE) for my wife and a couple weeks later I traded my '17 Ford F350 6.7 in on a new '19 Laramie 3500 DRW (HO, Aisin). It's my wife's third Cummins (had an '06 and '11) and my first non-Ford vehicle ever. Her '06 was tweaked a little and the '11 was tuned and deleted when we bought it. I've had 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 Powerstrokes (not in that order), modified the 7.3 and did a ton of work on the 6.0 (turbo, injectors, studs, fuel, custom tunes, etc.). I do all my own work.

So, I am thinking getting a device that I can tune both trucks with would be more economical. I realize I would have to buy a separate "support package" or VIN unlock, or whatever that company wants to call it to be able to tune two trucks with one device. I thought I would list the objectives for each truck and see what some of you think.

2015 - Wife really wants that Cummins sound again. Had a 5" exhaust on the '11 and that's what she wants, sound, loud. A little bit more throttle response/pep and improved fuel mileage would be great too. She's not looking for power necessarily. I do have a concern, I would guess the truck was deleted before but it has everything on it now (it only has 55,000 miles on it). It's rolling on 37's with a 6" lift and checking the speedo with a GPS, it is spot on. It sure doesn't have any additional power so I'm not sure yet what has been done to correct the speedo. She also likes mechanical gauges, just for looks, she doesn't really monitor anything, although I have educated her on the use of an EGT gauge! I need something she can just get in and drive, not have to change settings or have to keep tweaking tunes or have trans issues. Her '11 was like this and IIRC had a RaceME tuner on an 80hp tune. To be honest, I only took the tuner out of it's case once to check it out and left everything as it was.

2019 - First, I'd like to have the equipment I need before it ends up going extinct altogether. If I can show restraint, I might not put the stuff on right away. (Yeah, that probably won't happen! LOL) I may however, go with emissions on tuning, at least for a while. The truck definitely needs a little boost in power as my stock '17 Powerstroke had more power according to the butt dyno. Although I barely have 1000 miles on it, and it has 4.10 gears, fuel mileage is not great either and it sucks down DEF like crazy. I learned my lesson going loud with my 6.0, since we tow our 5er and trailers with my truck, I sure don't want an open exhaust. Wearing eARPlugs while towing for hours isn't fun. I'm a geek and love digital gauges, monitoring and logging everything I can. Used the Torque Pro app previously and also had mechanical gauges for EGT, boost, and fuel pressure. Not looking to modify the interior of my truck though.

I'm hoping maybe a vendor could throw together a package deal for both trucks (also dependent on convincing my wife to tune my brand new truck!).

I wouldn't mind at all going LPM and DRD, especially with the discount and I'm also military, I would just like to ensure my objectives can be met and the price would be competitive.

Sorry for the long read and I appreciate any opinions/suggestions!

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Two Truck Tuner Question

@Gadgetguru being an (LPM) saves you 10% with DRD and other Vendors have packages also.

You can use one tuner for two trucks.

You'll need an extra VIN License and tunes for the second truck, but one tuner can do both.

God bless,
    igotacummins

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Likes Gadgetguru, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Two Truck Tuner Question

Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetguru View Post
    Understand about being an LPM, but I'll throw this out there anyway, before I decide to go LPM or not.

Recently purchased a 2015 Laramie Longhorn 2500 Mega Cab (68RFE) for my wife and a couple weeks later I traded my '17 Ford F350 6.7 in on a new '19 Laramie 3500 DRW (HO, Aisin). It's my wife's third Cummins (had an '06 and '11) and my first non-Ford vehicle ever. Her '06 was tweaked a little and the '11 was tuned and deleted when we bought it. I've had 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 Powerstrokes (not in that order), modified the 7.3 and did a ton of work on the 6.0 (turbo, injectors, studs, fuel, custom tunes, etc.). I do all my own work.

So, I am thinking getting a device that I can tune both trucks with would be more economical. I realize I would have to buy a separate "support package" or VIN unlock, or whatever that company wants to call it to be able to tune two trucks with one device. I thought I would list the objectives for each truck and see what some of you think.

2015 - Wife really wants that Cummins sound again. Had a 5" exhaust on the '11 and that's what she wants, sound, loud. A little bit more throttle response/pep and improved fuel mileage would be great too. She's not looking for power necessarily. I do have a concern, I would guess the truck was deleted before but it has everything on it now (it only has 55,000 miles on it). It's rolling on 37's with a 6" lift and checking the speedo with a GPS, it is spot on. It sure doesn't have any additional power so I'm not sure yet what has been done to correct the speedo. She also likes mechanical gauges, just for looks, she doesn't really monitor anything, although I have educated her on the use of an EGT gauge! I need something she can just get in and drive, not have to change settings or have to keep tweaking tunes or have trans issues. Her '11 was like this and IIRC had a RaceME tuner on an 80hp tune. To be honest, I only took the tuner out of it's case once to check it out and left everything as it was.

2019 - First, I'd like to have the equipment I need before it ends up going extinct altogether. If I can show restraint, I might not put the stuff on right away. (Yeah, that probably won't happen! LOL) I may however, go with emissions on tuning, at least for a while. The truck definitely needs a little boost in power as my stock '17 Powerstroke had more power according to the butt dyno. Although I barely have 1000 miles on it, and it has 4.10 gears, fuel mileage is not great either and it sucks down DEF like crazy. I learned my lesson going loud with my 6.0, since we tow our 5er and trailers with my truck, I sure don't want an open exhaust. Wearing eARPlugs while towing for hours isn't fun. I'm a geek and love digital gauges, monitoring and logging everything I can. Used the Torque Pro app previously and also had mechanical gauges for EGT, boost, and fuel pressure. Not looking to modify the interior of my truck though.

I'm hoping maybe a vendor could throw together a package deal for both trucks (also dependent on convincing my wife to tune my brand new truck!).

I wouldn't mind at all going LPM and DRD, especially with the discount and I'm also military, I would just like to ensure my objectives can be met and the price would be competitive.

Sorry for the long read and I appreciate any opinions/suggestions!
    Shoot me a message or call we can get you some information as well my friend.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks Gadgetguru thanked for this post
    Likes Gadgetguru liked this post