Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Boost after 2nd Gen Swap

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Low Boost after 2nd Gen Swap

OK, I'm posting this here, but it applies to many sections of the forum and it's a rather lengthy problem.

So, my 2014 2500 had a "lost communication with turbo code," most likely a bad VGT actuator.

So, instead of replacing just the VGT and taking it to a dealer to calibrate, I decided to go 2nd Gen swap route.

The original turbo had 206,000 miles on it and was probably going to need replacing sometime soon, anyway. Went with a Smeding s464 from MDC.

While waiting for the parts and time, the tranny crapped out (stuck in 4th and slipping so much it wouldn't get over 35 mph). So, I tore it out and rebuilt it with a McLeod racing kit and Transgo shift kit, with the Sonax line pressure kit. Only took 4 weeks to get all the parts, thanks to COVID issues... Put the 2nd Gen on at the same time, and installed the RaceME Ultra Tuner.

Everything is working good now, very smooth, but I'm only getting a max of 15psi boost at 3000rpm. It runs like a basically stock truck, other than the shifting hitting hard. I contacted MDC, they say I need a custom program to rescale the MAF for the new 5" intake.

Contacted RaceME tech support, and they say their tunes are fine for the 2nd Gen and don't need any rescaling, and that it may be a fueling issue. Fuel pressure is running 18k-20k at full throttle.

There's definitely not an airflow issue, running a stainless steel intake elbow, grid heater delete, EGR/DPF/DEF/Cat deleted.

Only problem is low boost pressure and, it doesn't tow worth a crap, but that is probably the same issue.

Anyone else experience this?

Who is correct, MDC or RaceME?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Low Boost after 2nd Gen Swap

Let's ask @DRD and see what they think.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlark View Post
    OK, I'm posting this here, but it applies to many sections of the forum and it's a rather lengthy problem.

So, my 2014 2500 had a "lost communication with turbo code," most likely a bad VGT actuator.

So, instead of replacing just the VGT and taking it to a dealer to calibrate, I decided to go 2nd Gen swap route.

The original turbo had 206,000 miles on it and was probably going to need replacing sometime soon, anyway. Went with a Smeding s464 from MDC.

While waiting for the parts and time, the tranny crapped out (stuck in 4th and slipping so much it wouldn't get over 35 mph). So, I tore it out and rebuilt it with a McLeod racing kit and Transgo shift kit, with the Sonax line pressure kit. Only took 4 weeks to get all the parts, thanks to COVID issues... Put the 2nd Gen on at the same time, and installed the RaceME Ultra Tuner.

Everything is working good now, very smooth, but I'm only getting a max of 15psi boost at 3000rpm. It runs like a basically stock truck, other than the shifting hitting hard. I contacted MDC, they say I need a custom program to rescale the MAF for the new 5" intake.

Contacted RaceME tech support, and they say their tunes are fine for the 2nd Gen and don't need any rescaling, and that it may be a fueling issue. Fuel pressure is running 18k-20k at full throttle.

There's definitely not an airflow issue, running a stainless steel intake elbow, grid heater delete, EGR/DPF/DEF/Cat deleted.

Only problem is low boost pressure and, it doesn't tow worth a crap, but that is probably the same issue.

Anyone else experience this?

Who is correct, MDC or RaceME?
    You need a custom tune for it friend.

The box tunes don't work well with a non VGT setup.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

So, who does custom tunes for the RaceME Ultra?

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

So, who does custom tunes for the RaceME Ultra?
    DRD does!

Click the link below to follow it down the rabbit hole. -

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...pril-1st-2019)

Thank you,
    igotacummins

"The grass is greener where you water it"

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thank you @DRD!

Got my custom tunes today, and what a difference.

Making 35 psi without even trying.

Runs like a black smoke belching demon, now.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

How does it feel compared to the VGT?

Thanks.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Hard to say, since the VGT wasn’t really working when I got the truck, but it pulls super hard.

Had it dyno’d yesterday; making 917ftlbs at the wheels, but only 481hp.

Still very happy.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Hard to say, since the VGT wasn’t really working when I got the truck, but it pulls super hard.

Had it dyno’d yesterday; making 917ftlbs at the wheels, but only 481hp.

Still very happy.
    Sounds a little low.

I bet the dyno operator didn't load the truck properly.

Most 2nd Gen setups make upwards to 550rwhp and over 1000lbft torque on stock fuel when properly dynoed.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRD View Post
    Sounds a little low.

I bet the dyno operator didn't load the truck properly.

Most 2nd Gen setups make upwards to 550rwhp and over 1000lbft torque on stock fuel when properly dynoed.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel
    Funny, I was going to contact you about it.

The shop has only had the Dyno for a couple weeks.

He was running it in 6th gear, with the stock speed limiter.

What do you think of the air/fuel ratio on the graph?

They think it's running too rich. He was measuring everything from the OBD port, because he didn't want to take the time to set up the crank sensors, etc.

19. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast