Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016 Engine Cooling Issue

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: 2016 Engine Cooling Issue

Real quick question on your over heat with proper coolant level. Have you had you water pump replaced either by choice or under recall notice? When I've replaced water pumps under the recall, I have to bleed all air from the system in
    the shop then go for a drive. Which includes both city and highway driving. By the time I complete the 40 mile trip and return to the shop, I have to top off the coolant and clear codes for low coolant level.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Just a thought - either with compressed air or H2O - remove your front grill & blow or spray out your radiator/intercooler the best ya can.

Possibly might be some what plugged up between the fins with bugs & debris & not getting enough air flow across them / when not at highway speed!

I placed a double thick plastic fine mesh bug screen in front of the front intercooler - so it covers all of them to help protect against this...

I agree with watersupply: Check coolant level first thing (while cold) & remove cap to relieve any pressure...

Last thing - might be a failing clutch fan...
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Buelblackbelt Did you happen to notice if the fan was roaring when it's hot like that?

The clue to that is when you are moving, there is sufficient air flow when over 20 MPH or so.

The fan usually throttles down when moving. However, Syn has a good point too.

If the coolant level is low, it would most likely be hot all the time.

You can try shooting some water from a garden hose from the inside and see if that makes a difference.

I have seen the rads get blocked up pretty good with farm field debri.

When it heated up like that, rev it a bit and see if you can hear it.

If not, check for codes with a scanner.

That particular problem may not activate the check engine light. It doesn't on the 3rd gens.

I don't know the 4th gens as well as the 1st to 3rd.

The principles are the same.

Check to be sure all the duct work in the rad area is in tact. Not sure if there is any.

The pieces I'm talking about are like open space covers between the bumper and rad support. I can't think of another name for them. (Old, Brain dead) Those baffle's change the sir flow.

FYI. It is normal for the system to be under pressure.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I will clean out the radiator this weekend... and yes the water pump was replaced under recall about a year and a half ago... when the shop did that they punctured the radiator (did not tell me) and i found out when i hooked up my 5th wheel and made it about 10 miles from my house before the whole thing blew... so needless to say i got a new radiator hahaha. but that was almost 2 years ago. i appreciate all the help everyone

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12