Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  67
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welp, I bought a stupid cheap car off Facebook

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Welp, I bought a stupid cheap car off Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
    Mechanical & electrical manuals will ship Monday!
    No problem.
    -Jake-
    https://i.postimg.cc/dVtFzL6N/Civic-Books-0001.jpg

PS, I have a complete 5.9L Cummins engine in my shop.
    If you pay shipping and promise to install it in the Civic you can have it for free!
    Okay... just kidding.
    -Jake-
    Awesome thank you!

And I wish! I would do that so fast LOL

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

So it appears my cooling issues may be more complicated.

Dropped a new fan switch in tonight, no dice on the fan kicking on (fan works..already checked that).

Idling in the garage, temp gauge never made it to half way.

Looks like I'm gonna be doing a cooling system flush & new thermostat.

Car doesn't overheat or even run hot, but I'd like for the cooling system to work as intended; plus the coolant mixture looks pretty dated as is so might as well back flush the whole system anyways.

The joys of 20 year old cars LOL

Fun fact though...small spray of white lithium instantly solves squeaky pullies

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Electrojake liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Greetings @RamIt,
    I have the "shop" manual and the "electrical systems" manual.
    * Note that I do NOT have the body shop dimensions supplement, but you can certainly get that info off the internet.

Your Civic is a 6th generation, 1996 to 2000 so my 1997 books should be close enough.
    PM me where you want these manuals sent and I will package them up and get them out to you.
    Minor issue. . . I am currently tied up in lovely COVID infested Manhattan on business for a few days (no, I'm not protesting), but soon as I get back to my dear home in 'Cesspool' New Jersey I'll get them packed up and sent out to you.
    Regards,
    -Jake-
    Where you at in Jersey? I'm in Dover.

Depending where you live, decides the level of stink. LOL

PM me

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Where you at in Jersey? I'm in Dover.

Depending where you live, decides the level of stink. LOL

PM me
    Two parts of Joisey that dont suck... south end, and up your way

Last time I been up your way was nearly 20 years ago with a flatbed load of shingles to deliver on 46 somewhere

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

A month or so after buying my new Longhorn (and quickly realizing it was not the daily driver I hoped it would be), I reluctantly bought a little rice burner (RAV4). Thought I’d hate it, but turns out I love it!
    It does everything better than my Ram... other than haul my 3800 pound slide-in camper.

Nuthin like my Ram as a daily driver... knowin Im bein a total thorn in the side of society

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

9. Likes watersupply189, Electrojake liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    For a variety of reasons, I needed to acquire a dumb cheap A-to-B car. My budget was $4500 max. I lucked out and came across a guy selling a fairly mint 1998 Civic EX automatic coupe....for $2500.

Perks of working for a dealership, I booked the car out and pulled carfax.

4 owners. Cali and Arizona. Religiously maintained every 3-5k miles. No major mechanical. Straight body. Clean title.

Car needs some work, radiator fan switch is bad (or car is missing a thermostat, not sure yet), needs tires, passenger window looks like a bear attacked it, and the tint needs replacing. But interior is incredibly clean, car drives straight, AC is ice cold, transmission shifts great, motor sounds excellent...all for 192,000 miles. Walked away at $2150. 5 year plates are $25. Tires are $150 new. Fan switch is $13. And it gets 40mpg.

Wife has wanted us to have a car we could wrench on together for years..couldn’t have picked a better option. I’ll randomly post about this piece on the OT forum as I plan to overhaul this car on a small budget and make it into a practical, good condition daily.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...462860d348.jpg
    I have a similar car its a 96 accord LX with 227k I think.

I bought it on Facebook for 600 but it needed a few parts like tires, wheel hub, fan switch but mine had the opposite problem it would not shut off until it killed the battery.

I got it as a gas/fuel saver to get to work in the next town over.

It has been a good little car and it saved my truck some damage when I hit a deer with it and not my truck.

So it was worth it to me just for that but I still drive it with a few more dents now haha.

11. Likes watersupply189, RamIt liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 03 unicorn View Post
    I have a similar car its a 96 accord LX with 227k I think.

I bought it on Facebook for 600 but it needed a few parts like tires, wheel hub, fan switch but mine had the opposite problem it would not shut off until it killed the battery.

I got it as a gas/fuel saver to get to work in the next town over.

It has been a good little car and it saved my truck some damage when I hit a deer with it and not my truck.

So it was worth it to me just for that but I still drive it with a few more dents now haha.
    Cant go wrong with a good money saver car. I popped a new radiator cap on mine last night and scraped all the old window tint off the passenger window. Still need to do a full cooling system flush & thermostat, strip the tint off the rest of the car, retint it, pop a couple dents out and then give it a solid detail and paint correction. Hood needs to be recleared, still need tires, and the suspension is definitely gonna need some attention. After that, probably throw an intake on it and a quiet free flowing exhaust to get a few more MPGs. Also need to polish out the headlights, upgrade to LEDs all around and that'll probably be about it!

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

13. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Cant go wrong with a good money saver car. I popped a new radiator cap on mine last night and scraped all the old window tint off the passenger window. Still need to do a full cooling system flush & thermostat, strip the tint off the rest of the car, retint it, pop a couple dents out and then give it a solid detail and paint correction. Hood needs to be recleared, still need tires, and the suspension is definitely gonna need some attention. After that, probably throw an intake on it and a quiet free flowing exhaust to get a few more MPGs. Also need to polish out the headlights, upgrade to LEDs all around and that'll probably be about it!
    Some pictures of what that deer did to my little car.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

15. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

That's actually not that bad for a deer!

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

That's actually not that bad for a deer!
    Yea I thought so too and it still drives straight so one day ill get around to fixing the body.

I did have to replace both turn signals and the marker light and give the door and finder a love tap or two with my boot to get the door to open all the way.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

19. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast