Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  66
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: “Bulletproof 68” from Nextgen Diesel

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

“Bulletproof 68” from Nextgen Diesel

I picked up what I thought was the best 68 RFE kit. Researched a few kits with some sort of budget in mind. This was $295 when I purchased it. The kit consisted of a Revmax bonded gasket separator plate, Sonnax Accumulator pistons, Sonnax SSV end caps, Sonnax accumulator piston plate, and valve body to case seals. Just wanting to stop any weak spots before it became costly.

I must say Nate at Nextgen Diesel has something here. I installed the kit today and noticed a big difference in the way the trans shifts and holds. I have a 17 3500 DRW and plan to hang on to it for a while. It always felt like it had power, but now you can feel it.

I just received my ‘package’ from the Wisperer and will begin the transformation tomorrow. Hopefully it will bring in more line pressure to maintain the clamping pressure on the clutches.

Will try to keep this up to date as I progress.

'11 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, H&S deletes, 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers on 20" Motometals (SOLD)
    '17 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 DRW, Blessed By DRD, Grid Heater Delete, Bulletproof 68 kit, ATS Thermo bypass, Mud Flaps
    '17 Vengeance 320A Toy Hauler

Enjoying Life One Day at a Time.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: “Bulletproof 68” from Nextgen Diesel

Why in the Bloody Heck would FCA choose to use Plastic Accumulator pistons (Assuming this is whats going on within the 2nd picture)? Cost Savings?

I need to brush up on my 68RFE knowledge - but I'm afraid the more I learn the more concerns I will have and the anxiety level will go through the roof as its already beginning to swell...

I know Its all probably for nothing due - to I drive like a civilized human being & will have diligent maintenance with my 68RFE - But I know well enough that - this don't guarantee long trouble free life...

I've always been a preventive maintenance freak & I don't think that will ever change - Spend $400 now and save $3K later.

Thanks Lopie for sharing your work!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

“Bulletproof 68” from Nextgen Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Why in the Bloody Heck would FCA choose to use Plastic Accumulator pistons (Assuming this is whats going on within the 2nd picture)? Cost Savings?

I need to brush up on my 68RFE knowledge - but I'm afraid the more I learn the more concerns I will have and the anxiety level will go through the roof as its already beginning to swell...

I know Its all probably for nothing due - to I drive like a civilized human being & will have diligent maintenance with my 68RFE - But I know well enough that - this don't guarantee long trouble free life...

I've always been a preventive maintenance freak & I don't think that will ever change - Spend $400 now and save $3K later.

Thanks Lopie for sharing your work!
    That is exactly what happened to me... read too much and needed some sort of insurance. I picked up my 17 Dually in March and need it to carry all my prized possessions (the Family) when we travel with the 5er. Didn’t want some BS killing the adventure.

Regular maintenance will surely help but will not prevent the natural self destruction the 68 is capable of.

Not saying this kit is the cure all but it does address the majority of the issues known.

Along with a little magic from DRD mine seems very happy now.

I could identify were the cross leaks were occurring.

To me, the areas that you cannot see the contact of channels was a leak.

I can honestly say I did feel a difference in shift and hold before tuning.

Can’t wait to relearn it all.

Should be AWESOME!

'11 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, H&S deletes, 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers on 20" Motometals (SOLD)
    '17 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 DRW, Blessed By DRD, Grid Heater Delete, Bulletproof 68 kit, ATS Thermo bypass, Mud Flaps

4. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN, Thomas1960, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

How was the install?

2010 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Big Horn 4x4, Yukon Gear & Axle YP C5-C11.5 Rear Diff Cover, A.R.E. V Series Truck Cap

6. Likes Thomas1960, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PullinAir View Post
    How was the install?
    The install was a bit nerve racking for me. This was my first time in a transmission. Besides doing a fluid change. It took me about 3hrs being very cautious(no beer involved).

The kit didn’t come with any instructions, but I was able to find some on Sonnax web site for each component of kit.

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I'm fairly mechanically inclined - but I think I will leave my 68RFE to the expert installer...

Congrats on your confidence to tackle the job yourself and it sounds like a success!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

9. Thanks Lopie thanked for this post
    Likes Lopie, Thomas1960, timshooter40 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

@Lopie Did you replace the Solenoid pack as well?

2010 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Big Horn 4x4, Yukon Gear & Axle YP C5-C11.5 Rear Diff Cover, A.R.E. V Series Truck Cap

11. Likes Thomas1960, timshooter40 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

No, I did not option in the Solenoid pack.

I figured next go around with fluid change I thought it may need it.

13. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

The main failure on these is the ssv it’s self.

The end caps don’t really address much except the sonnax ones can’t get stuck in the bore when the bores wear.

If you drop it again In the future take the valve body half to your local trans shop and have them ream and install the oversized sonnax ssv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes Lopie, timshooter40 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    The main failure on these is the ssv it’s self.

The end caps don’t really address much except the sonnax ones can’t get stuck in the bore when the bores wear.

If you drop it again In the future take the valve body half to your local trans shop and have them ream and install the oversized sonnax ssv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast