Likes Likes:  43
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Out a New Cummins Owner

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Help Out a New Cummins Owner

Quote Originally Posted by 1263millwright View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I think I’ll take Joe’s suggestions and try a couple of different oils and do UOAs to see what works and what doesn’t The info on the PS product is informative.

I think I’m gonna try the hot shots products and see if I can get some real world results.

As far as the 68 goes, I’m hearing a deep pan will for sure help when I’m loaded and towing, so I will definitely be adding that on my first drain and fill.

What is the consensus on trans fluids?

I don’t want to put a good trans fluid in on a drain and fill and not have it play well with the OE fluid.

Any ATF+4 will be fine- the spec is the spec for trans fluid.

Get it on sale at Walmart or something and put your savings towards your pan or a thermal bypass.

The transmission tuning Will help more than any hard parts IMO. Hard parts + trans tuning make things even better.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Joe, don't mean to steal the thread but it goes along with everything else you posted so I figured I'd ask...what's your recommendation for G56 fluid change? I just picked up a 2016 with a G56, and I remember swapping the ATF in my 2006 G56 to a gear oil. Any recommendations or did you just stick with the ATF?

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Here's my personal routine, so take it for what it's worth.

1. Change factory oil between 500-1000 miles.
    2. Use Hot Shots Secret Blue Diamond 5w-40 or Amsoil Signature Series 5w-40(I recommend trying both and then using only one.) Both with the Amsoil EAO-80 oil filter.
    3. Change oil and both fuel filters every 10k miles.
    4. Use Hot Shots Secret LX4 Lubricity Extreme fuel additive at every fill up.
    5. Use Hot Shots Secret Diesel Extreme fuel additive every oil change.

My opinion, stay far away from Diesel Kleen and use Valvoline Premium Blue over Rotella.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    Joe, don't mean to steal the thread but it goes along with everything else you posted so I figured I'd ask...what's your recommendation for G56 fluid change? I just picked up a 2016 with a G56, and I remember swapping the ATF in my 2006 G56 to a gear oil. Any recommendations or did you just stick with the ATF?
    Hello acorn, Mecedes Benz spec'd the G56 for 50wt oil and FCA said nope we'll run ATF in it because that's what we have on hand.

MB didn't care because FCA is the one paying the warranty bill.

I'd personally run Amsoil manual trans oil in it.

If you need help placing an order just shoot me an email or PM on here and I'll get you fixed up.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes TexNeck, watersupply189, WhiskeyBuzz liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Hello acorn, Mecedes Benz spec'd the G56 for 50wt oil and FCA said nope we'll run ATF in it because that's what we have on hand.

MB didn't care because FCA is the one paying the warranty bill.

I'd personally run Amsoil manual trans oil in it.

If you need help placing an order just shoot me an email or PM on here and I'll get you fixed up.
    What weight oil is the Amsoil Joe?

I can’t remember how many quarts the G56 takes?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    What weight oil is the Amsoil Joe?

I can’t remember how many quarts the G56 takes?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    *Disclaimer= FCA calls for ATF in the G56 so use other fluids at your own risk.*

7 quarts of the Amsoil 75-90 MTG oil. The 7th quart has to be done through the shift tower or park the truck higher on the fill side.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum. Here's my personal routine, so take it for what it's worth.

1. Change factory oil between 500-1000 miles.
    2. Use Hot Shots Secret Blue Diamond 5w-40 or Amsoil Signature Series 5w-40(I recommend trying both and then using only one.) Both with the Amsoil EAO-80 oil filter.
    3. Change oil and both fuel filters every 10k miles.
    4. Use Hot Shots Secret LX4 Lubricity Extreme fuel additive at every fill up.
    5. Use Hot Shots Secret Diesel Extreme fuel additive every oil change.

My opinion, stay far away from Diesel Kleen and use Valvoline Premium Blue over Rotella.
    What size bottle of the LX4 are you using at each fill up I assume either the 4oz or 16oz?

2017 Tradesman Bright white, Blacked out OEM headlights, 7" EVIC dash/screen, tinted windows including windshield, 2" HBS leveling kit w/2" shock extensions, 18x9 Procomp Series 5034 Rockwell wheels, 35x12.50x18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, ARE Overland topper, LED bed lights (Walmart), 8.4 Uconnect w/nav, 7spd AC fan switch, OEM back up camera, S&B intake, CCV delete, MM3 from DRD, 4" FloPro DP back exhaust, BD Diesel Performance grid heater delete, Twin ram 3.5" intake horn, RevMax Trans cooler bypass

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12