Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  43
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Out a New Cummins Owner

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Help Out a New Cummins Owner

New owner here. I definitely have some questions about stuff since this is my first new diesel truck. I did previously own a 6.0 PSD, but I bought that truck used.

1. Break in recommendations... What is needed to get good ring seating in these motors? Gentle driving? Hard driving during break in? I know torque management is a thing, and you cant jut hammer it like a gasser, so what’s best practice?
    2. First oil change/OCI? I’ve always changed out my factory oil right around 500 miles on my gassers, just to get any break in oil, assembly lube and initial wear metals out. After that what’s everyone’s OCI on say Rotella synthetic blend or Valvoline blue?
    3. 68RFE I’m hearing as long as you’re not tuned These trannys are pretty solid. I don’t plan on doing any tuning or deleting, at least within powertrain warranty period. How often should I do a drain and fill and filter change?
    4. CP4.2 Should this pump be considered a maintenance item like a timing belt? Say if you do a 75K service interval on this pump would that save any potential grenading of the fuel system? What about diesel kleen or another additive? I live in the south, so fuel gelling in cold months is not a concern.

I want (have) to run this truck trouble free for as long as possible. I will be doing the vast majority of my own basic maintenance. Fluid and filter changes, brakes, etc. So real world (not owners manual) intervals would be greatly appreciated! TIA

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1263millwright View Post
    New owner here. I definitely have some questions about stuff since this is my first new diesel truck. I did previously own a 6.0 PSD, but I bought that truck used.

1. Break in recommendations... What is needed to get good ring seating in these motors? Gentle driving? Hard driving during break in? I know torque management is a thing, and you cant jut hammer it like a gasser, so what’s best practice?
    2. First oil change/OCI? I’ve always changed out my factory oil right around 500 miles on my gassers, just to get any break in oil, assembly lube and initial wear metals out. After that what’s everyone’s OCI on say Rotella synthetic blend or Valvoline blue?
    3. 68RFE I’m hearing as long as you’re not tuned These trannys are pretty solid. I don’t plan on doing any tuning or deleting, at least within powertrain warranty period. How often should I do a drain and fill and filter change?
    4. CP4.2 Should this pump be considered a maintenance item like a timing belt? Say if you do a 75K service interval on this pump would that save any potential grenading of the fuel system? What about diesel kleen or another additive? I live in the south, so fuel gelling in cold months is not a concern.

I want (have) to run this truck trouble free for as long as possible. I will be doing the vast majority of my own basic maintenance. Fluid and filter changes, brakes, etc. So real world (not owners manual) intervals would be greatly appreciated! TIA
    Welcome friend! I change my oil every 10k or 1 year which ever comes first.

I use to run Royal Purple 15w40 full synthetic but recently changed over to Amsoil full synthetic.

Rotella is a good oil also.

As changing your oil the first 500 miles that’s up to you but it’s not necessary.

Take it easy driving for your break in period. You don’t want to break something.

The metals and gears need a break in.

Pump wise just keep both your fuel filters changed out regularly and you should be fine.

I recommend the OEM Mopar filters but that’s my preference.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes SyN, Thomas1960, timshooter40, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum. Here's my personal routine, so take it for what it's worth.

1. Change factory oil between 500-1000 miles.
    2. Use Hot Shots Secret Blue Diamond 5w-40 or Amsoil Signature Series 5w-40(I recommend trying both and then using only one.) Both with the Amsoil EAO-80 oil filter.
    3. Change oil and both fuel filters every 10k miles.
    4. Use Hot Shots Secret LX4 Lubricity Extreme fuel additive at every fill up.
    5. Use Hot Shots Secret Diesel Extreme fuel additive every oil change.

My opinion, stay far away from Diesel Kleen and use Valvoline Premium Blue over Rotella.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Here's my personal routine, so take it for what it's worth.

1. Change factory oil between 500-1000 miles.
    2. Use Hot Shots Secret Blue Diamond 5w-40 or Amsoil Signature Series 5w-40(I recommend trying both and then using only one.) Both with the Amsoil EAO-80 oil filter.
    3. Change oil and both fuel filters every 10k miles.
    4. Use Hot Shots Secret LX4 Lubricity Extreme fuel additive at every fill up.
    5. Use Hot Shots Secret Diesel Extreme fuel additive every oil change.

My opinion, stay far away from Diesel Kleen and use Valvoline Premium Blue over Rotella.
    Fair enough.

I am really trying to be a sponge here.

I know there are a lot of these trucks used for hot shotting, and I know there’s a fair amount of trucks out there with trouble free high mileage, which is ultimately my goal.

Seeing as you’re a vendor, and an owner, I’d assume your knowledge is pretty extensive.

A 10K OCI isn’t that bad, I think I’d treat the cost of premium lubricants as an insurance policy.

Just curious as to why you make the recommendations that you do?

Aside from running these products in your own rig, are there any articles or sources I can indulge myself in that cut marketing hype and just state facts?

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Fair enough. I am really trying to be a sponge here. I know there are a lot of these trucks used for hot shotting, and I know there’s a fair amount of trucks out there with trouble free high mileage, which is ultimately my goal. Seeing as you’re a vendor, and an owner, I’d assume your knowledge is pretty extensive. A 10K OCI isn’t that bad, I think I’d treat the cost of premium lubricants as an insurance policy.

Just curious as to why you make the recommendations that you do? Aside from running these products in your own rig, are there any articles or sources I can indulge myself in that cut marketing hype and just state facts?
    This is just what I've decided to do after many years of ownership with 7 Cummins.

As you said, premium lubricants are an insurance policy and when they're paired with early change intervals I sleep very well at night.

Could you go by the owners manual and use cheap oil that fits your application and still get 300k miles, more than likely.

My recommendation on the fuel additives are that this ULSD(ultra low sulfur diesel) is dry, it's very dry.

With these trucks now having 2 fuel filters they need lubricity more than they need a cleaner every day, hence why I do the LX4 every fill up vs an additive with cleaner.

I feel confident the Diesel Extreme(highly concentrated cleaner) will remove any deposits at the 10k mile interval when I change the oil & fuel filters.

Power Services aka Diesel Kleen used to put alcohol in their formula robbing fuel of it's lubricity.

Again, simply my opinion on what to do.

https://hss-cdn-lubricationspeci.net...-4-16-2018.pdf
    https://www.hotshotsecret.com/wp-con...HSS-DE-TDS.pdf

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Joe knows his stuff as several guys here do- to each their own!

I agree with choosing a single oil and sticking with it as well as quality filter. I run 5w-40 T6 rotella with Mopar filter and have Blackstone oil analysis that’s great with 15k intervals (what factory Manual calls for) I’ve got 86k on the odometer currently.

I run Archoil pretty regularly in my fuel as an additive. There’s a lot of info here on that product.

Amsoil severe duty for front and rear diffs.

You can drive yourself crazy looking at all the options and comparing/reading who uses what and how it performs.

Like joe mentioned whatever will make you rest easy as night!

Enjoy the truck and keep us posted!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

we all certainly do have our own view on our trucks. I have owned 3 Dodge/Ram diesels, 35 yr veteran truck driver and now manage a trucking company. When it comes to break in I do what we do with the big trucks. Use like you normally would right from the beginning. In my experience these engines take quite a few miles to break in so no sense taking it easy for too long. These are industrial work horses and are designed to be worked.
    As for oil I have the supplies waiting and change the oil when I get it home whether new or used. I put in it what I know works and have used for many years. I use the Rotella T6 full synthetic 15w-40 as I did with my Gen 1 and my Gen2 24 valve with no issues. I do oil and fuel filters every 10k
    Fuel additives are one thing I did not believe in them until my Gen4. They do blend a lubricity additive to Diesel before it leaves the loading terminal but it is bare minimum. I have a good friend with a degree in chemistry that swears by a capful of Lucas full synthetic 2 stroke oil at every fill up. No real noticeable difference but my friend is very smart and has no motive other than to lubricate the fuel system. A bottle will last a long time.
    Mine has the Aisin but I hear if you treat the 68RFE with respect and stay within its limitations it will do just fine. Some research suggests the design of it helps with minimizing maintenance. if I remember my book says 120k and unless its under severe duty you should be ok.
    Mine does not have the CP4 so I have not researched them but I have read plenty of threads where folks are concerned about the change so maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject can be more helpful

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

10. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies.

I think I’ll take Joe’s suggestions and try a couple of different oils and do UOAs to see what works and what doesn’t The info on the PS product is informative.

I think I’m gonna try the hot shots products and see if I can get some real world results.

As far as the 68 goes, I’m hearing a deep pan will for sure help when I’m loaded and towing, so I will definitely be adding that on my first drain and fill.

What is the consensus on trans fluids?

I don’t want to put a good trans fluid in on a drain and fill and not have it play well with the OE fluid.

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Re: Help Out a New Cummins Owner

Good advice given out above!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu