Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: How Long Do I Have Left? (68RFE Trans)

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

How Long Do I Have Left? (68RFE Trans)

Got a 2015 2500 Cummins and I'm pretty sure my 68RFE is about to go.

The truck has 75k on it, deleted with race me and DRD tune, running 30hp right now.

I don't go crazy with power and only step on the skinny pedal once in a while.

Trans is stock apart from Revmax valve body pushing 225 psi main line pressure.

Here's the problem, when torque converter locks up, especially in 4th-6th there's a terrible sound like something is rattling/knocking around the bell housing.

When I'm just rolling at light throttle (5-20%) the sound does not stop unless I let off throttle.

If I give it more throttle the rattle gets a bit louder but then goes away when the boost kicks in.

I can feel the rattling/knocking through my feet and can hear it when the windows are up.

The shifts between most gears are pretty rough even after the valve body swap but the truck feels great in terms of performance.

Does anyone know whats going on?

Loose torque converter bolts? Flexplate? Clutchs?

Any ideas?

Thank you.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: How Long Do I Have Left? (68RFE Trans)

Let's see if @DRD can shine any light on this.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Likes watersupply189, SyN, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Justboughtacummins View Post
    Got a 2015 2500 Cummins and I'm pretty sure my 68RFE is about to go.

The truck has 75k on it, deleted with race me and DRD tune, running 30hp right now.

I don't go crazy with power and only step on the skinny pedal once in a while.

Trans is stock apart from Revmax valve body pushing 225 psi main line pressure.

Here's the problem, when torque converter locks up, especially in 4th-6th there's a terrible sound like something is rattling/knocking around the bell housing.

When I'm just rolling at light throttle (5-20%) the sound does not stop unless I let off throttle.

If I give it more throttle the rattle gets a bit louder but then goes away when the boost kicks in.

I can feel the rattling/knocking through my feet and can hear it when the windows are up.

The shifts between most gears are pretty rough even after the valve body swap but the truck feels great in terms of performance.

Does anyone know whats going on?

Loose torque converter bolts? Flexplate? Clutchs?

Any ideas?

Thank you.
    Could be a cracked flex plate or converter issues.

It wouldn't hurt to talk to Revmax and get their input.

Email tom@revmaxconverters.com and my friend Tom Hauser over there will put you down the right path.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Here for info- please keep us posted!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I will keep y'all informed.

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

What did you find out?

11. Likes timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Just to have all bases covered, did you happen to check trans mounts even engine mounts. I have a 2016 I have had a broken trans mount it did, sounded the same as you are describing.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Justboughtacummins View Post
    I will keep y'all informed.
    Any update as to what was causing the problem?

The shifting after vb install could possibly be caused by not doing a quick learn and a relearn process if you just flashed with some tunes and took off.

Just seen this post and it’s been months. Hopefully all is fixed.

2016. Laramie 2500, 68RFE, CC 4x4. DRD Medical plan. factory rear air. 2” lift/level. 35x12.5, Revmax vb with deep pan. ARP 425 head studs.

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Sorry for the late update guys but nothing has really changed. I've had a few people look at the truck and drive it and tell me that the transmission is kind of rough but more or less normal for a 68. I also emailed Tom from Revmax but he didn't recognize the problem. Engine and trans mounts are fine.

I did a quick learn twice now. Shifted through all the gears many times at increasing throttle position starting at about 15%. Shifts became a lot smoother after quick learn for the first couple hundred miles but then goes back to shifting pretty rough as before. The power level was at the lowest setting thoughout the whole process.

As for the weird rattling/knocking noise, I realized this only happens when the full exhaust break it on and I get back on the throttle in 4 thought 6 gears. I was told this is the exhaust break disengaging within the turbo. Possible actuator problem but not transmission related.

All in all, I'm sick of trying to find a solution so the plan now is just to keep driving it. If it gets noticeably worse, I'll park the truck and eventually put an aftermarket trans into it.

17. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

For checking the turbo for actuator issues you can use your mm3 and view actual vs desired VGT position.

If there’s a large variance then you know that’s your issue.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

19. Likes watersupply189 liked this post