Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  43
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Least Detrimental Way To Have Some WOT Fun

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Least Detrimental Way To Have Some WOT Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Aftershock00 View Post
    First off, just want to say I appreciate how friendly and welcoming everyone is so far. I’ve been on some other forums, and there is an obvious forum nazi situation going on there. Condescending and if you continue the thread when they think there is nothing left to talk about, they get all pissy.

anyways, to clarify, the guys were saying that light switch type throttle, whether going on throttle or off throttle is not the best for it. Admittedly I’m sure rolling into throttle and off is definitely a better way, but I didn’t think stomping throttle in 2nd gear every so often was the end of the world, especially with all the electronic safety devices on these trucks.

I cant justify the money on a mustang or fun toy, plus that’ll be just another thing that sits, haha, so I do get some satisfaction out of feeling how fast a 7klb vehicle get moving, albeit much slower than a stang.

I have a warranty but i but I still like to take care of things like I’m gonna keep for a lifetime. Around here, I can baby it in every way and my luck just to have some a-hole hit the truck and lose it’s virginity anyway, so I figure might as well get some of my money’s worth. Can’t keep anything perfect no matter how I try.

I dont however want to get stranded somewhere when I am driving/towing normally, because of some fun I had down the block from my house two months before.

So so what’s the consensus? Have fun with it every so often, it can take it, no big deal or.... just drive normal unless you want to be stuck on side of road with a 20k mile truck that has failures normally seen in a truck with 250k miles.

Enjoy the truck- lower gears are better for this. If you have a way of feeling or knowing the converter is locked then it is even less concerning. If the converter is locked and you are stock then let it eat. When converter is not locked it is a harder on clutches but for the mileage you drive just enjoy it.

Will it break? Maybe. Would it break driving normal down the road? Maybe....catch my drift? Keep us posted with how she’s running and welcome!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

2. Likes watersupply189, SyN, Thomas1960 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I catch your drift I think.

I’m not necessarily any more likely to have a failure than a truck that is babied.

Since I normally have this fun in second gear, I guess the TC is not locked...weird cause if I get on it quickly as opposed to rolling into it, it does feel locked?

As as far as being hard on clutches, is there a way to identify this wear such as a visual or smell test of tranny fluid?

Should I change tranny fluid sooner?

I already replaced diff fluid with Amsoil synthetic.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Just checking to see if I can get an answer to my last question.

Also, when it comes to strain on the input shaft, is this something that would break at the moment I do the WOT pull, or something that could break months after due to that wOT pull when I’m deep in the middle of nowhere pulling a camper driving normally?

Don’t wanna be that badass truck on the side of the road 600 miles from home on a vacation.

Also, just to clarify, I’m not talking about WOt pulls every 10 miles, I’m talking more along lines of once every 500.

Where I am, and with bad drivers and heavy traffic and very short on ramps, it seems like it wouldn’t be unreasonable to have to inadvertently make a WOt pull in second gear just to safely merge onto highway/road, so I figured the trucks would be built to handle this as part of their R&D.

No?

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Tbh I didnt realize your truck was completely stock. To answer your question, stock or not pegging your throttle causes premature wear regardless of your power. How that translates varies between everyone. What I can tell you though is pegging it or even fast acceleration in 5th or 6th gear will burn up your OD clutches and eventually cause slippage. It may not be now or 10,000 miles from now but it will eventually catch up. In terms of busting a shaft, under stock power your clutches will go before you will twist it. My 2 cents though and other experiences may vary.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I’ll thanks for the clarification. I thought guys that delete and do all these performance upgrades were to make it fast unloaded, but I guess maybe that’s to make it a faster hauling machine.

I never peg the throttle when in the upper gears, it’s always in 2nd or 3rd. Not sure if that makes it better or worse off, maybe you can clarify.

Sounds like im better off strictly cruising with it and not hot rodding with it every so often. Thanks for the input btw...I do appreciate the education

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Also, I have a full FCA extended warranty. Is this something that would typically be covered if I did have any issues ? Don’t want it to get to that point of course, I’d rather have a reliable vehicle from factory, but curious if this is something I should even lose sleep over.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aftershock00 View Post
    I’ll thanks for the clarification. I thought guys that delete and do all these performance upgrades were to make it fast unloaded, but I guess maybe that’s to make it a faster hauling machine.

I never peg the throttle when in the upper gears, it’s always in 2nd or 3rd. Not sure if that makes it better or worse off, maybe you can clarify.

Sounds like im better off strictly cruising with it and not hot rodding with it every so often. Thanks for the input btw...I do appreciate the education
    In my opinion the main reason to delete is to increase reliability and longevity with the added bonus of performance, economy and drivability.

After 50,000 miles most issues are emission related on stock vehicles.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12