Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  43
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Least Detrimental Way To Have Some WOT Fun

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Least Detrimental Way To Have Some WOT Fun

Hey guys, have a 2017 with 68 tranny... it’s my baby, but not my daily driver. Has 15k miles on her. Since it sits Monday thru Friday, I typically take it out on sat night or sun morning. After engine/tranny is fully warmed up, I try to make her work a bit unloaded. Typically from a stop, I start normal, then once tranny hits second, I lean/roll into throttle pretty quickly to WOT. I let off throttle before tranny hits 3rd so it’s not shifting/banging into 3rd at WOT.
    Is this a bad idea ? Is there a better gear to do this in? Is there something I should do or shouldn’t do to be minimally detrimental to my truck? Or should I avoid WOT at all costs ?

I have heard from some that releasing throttle quickly at high boost and high revs, especially before tranny is about to shift to 3rd is a bad thing. I heard I should roll out of throttle is much better for it. Some say it’s just if you quickly dethrottle then qucklu go WOT immediately after that is what’s harmful (I don’t do this FYI)

Any tips on how I can have a little hot rod fun around town without reducing the life of my truck is appreciated. Essentially I’m looking for some tips on mechanical sympathy.

Truck has 35’s on it with 3” Thuren lift btw. Bone stock otherwise. Use rotella T6 and change oil every 6k miles.

thanks for the help guys.

2. Thanks AnOldBiker, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I usually use my tap shifter to lock it in 3rd or 4th and roll into it that way. That way the tranny will not shift at all and I can have a bit of fun. I still won't go 0-100 in a snap just to help relieve the strain on my input shaft.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aftershock00 View Post
    Hey guys, have a 2017 with 68 tranny... it’s my baby, but not my daily driver. Has 15k miles on her. Since it sits Monday thru Friday, I typically take it out on sat night or sun morning. After engine/tranny is fully warmed up, I try to make her work a bit unloaded. Typically from a stop, I start normal, then once tranny hits second, I lean/roll into throttle pretty quickly to WOT. I let off throttle before tranny hits 3rd so it’s not shifting/banging into 3rd at WOT.
    Is this a bad idea ? Is there a better gear to do this in? Is there something I should do or shouldn’t do to be minimally detrimental to my truck? Or should I avoid WOT at all costs ?

I have heard from some that releasing throttle quickly at high boost and high revs, especially before tranny is about to shift to 3rd is a bad thing. I heard I should roll out of throttle is much better for it. Some say it’s just if you quickly dethrottle then qucklu go WOT immediately after that is what’s harmful (I don’t do this FYI)

Any tips on how I can have a little hot rod fun around town without reducing the life of my truck is appreciated. Essentially I’m looking for some tips on mechanical sympathy.

Truck has 35’s on it with 3” Thuren lift btw. Bone stock otherwise. Use rotella T6 and change oil every 6k miles.

Like stated most of our high HP guys like to use the tuning that allows them to lock up in a pre determined gear and then they use the tap shifter like above to help better control it. Makes it much more enjoyable knowing you have a little more control. I have not heard of letting out of it to help save anything but it could be true. To me in my mind i don't think it would do anything but you never know! I also don't go WOT on mine LOL

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Thomas1960 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome guys. Glad to be here.

I average 6k miles a year on truck, so it pretty much sits. I work hard as we all do, so I get some satisfaction out of having fun with my expensive purchase, however I don’t want to break anything or take 25% life off power train/drivetrain by having fun, if that was the case. I know these trucks are meant to work hard/pull hard, not necessarily hot rod around, but I can’t see how going WOT unloaded would be any worse than pulling 15k lbs up a long hill. But maybe I’m missing something.

In most cases, I make the acceleration to WOT a gradual one, but admittedly, some rare times I do just stomp on it once 2nd gear is engaged. I usually let off it to stay within traffic laws.
    Guys in other forums seem to take the side that chopping the throttle quickly while at WOT is not good for turbo or tranny. Not saying they’re right or wrong, just like to hear opinions on this and learn some things.

were talking a single pull here, so say 15 mph to about 45.

8. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Thomas1960 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

No problem at all and welcome!

The only issue I could see with a sudden lift is "turbo bark" but I have really never seen it (not saying it can't happen) on an all stock 6.7 that hasn't been touched by father 'timing' too hard.

Speed isn't really a factor when it comes to shock loading a tranny either. 900-1000lb-ft of torque is the same at any mph.

If you are locked into gear (not an overdrive one) and you romp on it can really stress stock components in the trans.

I have actually been to a couple local shops where they have had snapped input shafts with only a 90hp tune (rare but it does happen).

Overall, its a fun truck and you should enjoy it!

Just remember it is an 8,000lb truck not a Mustang haha.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

10. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Thomas1960 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aftershock00 View Post

Welcome friend

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

12. Likes AK Bob, Thomas1960 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Welcome!

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

&

We haven't bought our 5th Wheel yet - so medium / heavy towing hadn't started yet...
    I do @ least 2 times a week on the way home from work - 17 mile highway stretch.

After the first 5 miles @ 65 - I gradually step into her (decently hard) up to 90mph for the next 10 miles... I do use the exhaust/engine brake to help bring her back down to 65mph before coming into town (last 2 miles into town)...
    She really seems happy & content between 80-90mph...

At this time I can say not 1 WOT - have not needed a reason too.

If no on coming traffic - I do this more often...

Like you - I don't drive her much when I'm off work - my 2 reasons for doing this is to get the oil temp up & over 195*F & the DPF exit temp over 725*F as often & long as I can...

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

16. Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Re: Least Detrimental Way To Have Some WOT Fun

First off, just want to say I appreciate how friendly and welcoming everyone is so far. I’ve been on some other forums, and there is an obvious forum nazi situation going on there. Condescending and if you continue the thread when they think there is nothing left to talk about, they get all pissy.

anyways, to clarify, the guys were saying that light switch type throttle, whether going on throttle or off throttle is not the best for it. Admittedly I’m sure rolling into throttle and off is definitely a better way, but I didn’t think stomping throttle in 2nd gear every so often was the end of the world, especially with all the electronic safety devices on these trucks.

I cant justify the money on a mustang or fun toy, plus that’ll be just another thing that sits, haha, so I do get some satisfaction out of feeling how fast a 7klb vehicle get moving, albeit much slower than a stang.

I have a warranty but i but I still like to take care of things like I’m gonna keep for a lifetime. Around here, I can baby it in every way and my luck just to have some a-hole hit the truck and lose it’s virginity anyway, so I figure might as well get some of my money’s worth. Can’t keep anything perfect no matter how I try.

I dont however want to get stranded somewhere when I am driving/towing normally, because of some fun I had down the block from my house two months before.

So so what’s the consensus? Have fun with it every so often, it can take it, no big deal or.... just drive normal unless you want to be stuck on side of road with a 20k mile truck that has failures normally seen in a truck with 250k miles.

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, Thomas1960 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast