Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Turbo and Exhaust Brake Does Not Seem To Be Working

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo and Exhaust Brake Does Not Seem To Be Working

I have a 2014 ram mega 3500 cumins single wheel with 82k miles. It is stock engine and drive train. I purchased this truck new in ‘14 with 40 miles on it.

This last weekend I took our fusion toy hauler (5th wheel 38’) on a camping trip. We go on a long camping trip at least once a year and close trips multiple times a year. I live in Oklahoma and have pulled this truck/trailer combo to Colorado multiple times, Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore separate years. However this was the first pull this year and the truck does not feel right. In general it felt like I was not holding pressure for some reason on turbo and exhaust brake.

Heading out everything felt pretty normal. Exhaust brake held and I had power available like always. We drove 4 hours to our spot. 4 lane half way and 2 lain the rest.

Now coming back home was a different deal. Same roads. The exhaust brake felt very weak, no matter the rpms or gear. It felt like it was not holding at all or very little at most. Normally there is a noticeable amount of noise when it kicks in and you let off the throttle. I could not hear it this time. The factory gauge said it was doing 64hp peak, which would be about what I’ve seen when it was working on other trips.

I also experienced a noticeable loss of power. The truck did not shift when you stayed on the throttle up a hill like it would before and we would slow down. I use to power on up the long hills and never loose speed on the same hills and road. When pulling from a full stop, take off felt like I was not in tow/haul. And power loss was really felt. The boost pressure showed 28 lbs max. Going highway speeds throttle did not have a noticeable response. Peddle to floor use to have a rpm change and shift up or down, now nothing. I could gain some speed on flat but nothing on an incline. Turbo was much quieter than it generally would be in same situations.

Fuel mileage seamed to drop a lot. This trip I would normally average 10-12 mpg with a heavier load and more wind. This time I was in the 7-9 range.

I do not remember a noise or event on this trip I could point to like blowing a boot or seal. The factory gauges have generally normal numbers for what I was doing but performance was real bad. No smoke or fluids leaking. No overheating and no codes or check lights/warnings. Outside Temp was 72 and no rain. I haven’t drove without the trailer when we got home yet because I was/am so frustrated.

Can the factory gauges be lying and I have a leak somewhere? Surely not transmission related? Turbo sooted up that fast? Fresh oil and fuel filter change last week before trip. I assume the turbo and exhaust brake inter act on how/where the pressure is being held. I’m just trying to get an idea before I take to the dealer and they say nothing is wrong. I still have some factory extended warranty left and this would be the time to use it.

Sorry for the long post. Any thoughts welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo and Exhaust Brake Does Not Seem To Be Working

Quote Originally Posted by kkroeker View Post
    I have a 2014 ram mega 3500 cumins single wheel with 82k miles. It is stock engine and drive train. I purchased this truck new in ‘14 with 40 miles on it.

This last weekend I took our fusion toy hauler (5th wheel 38’) on a camping trip. We go on a long camping trip at least once a year and close trips multiple times a year. I live in Oklahoma and have pulled this truck/trailer combo to Colorado multiple times, Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore separate years. However this was the first pull this year and the truck does not feel right. In general it felt like I was not holding pressure for some reason on turbo and exhaust brake.

Heading out everything felt pretty normal. Exhaust brake held and I had power available like always. We drove 4 hours to our spot. 4 lane half way and 2 lain the rest.

Now coming back home was a different deal. Same roads. The exhaust brake felt very weak, no matter the rpms or gear. It felt like it was not holding at all or very little at most. Normally there is a noticeable amount of noise when it kicks in and you let off the throttle. I could not hear it this time. The factory gauge said it was doing 64hp peak, which would be about what I’ve seen when it was working on other trips.

I also experienced a noticeable loss of power. The truck did not shift when you stayed on the throttle up a hill like it would before and we would slow down. I use to power on up the long hills and never loose speed on the same hills and road. When pulling from a full stop, take off felt like I was not in tow/haul. And power loss was really felt. The boost pressure showed 28 lbs max. Going highway speeds throttle did not have a noticeable response. Peddle to floor use to have a rpm change and shift up or down, now nothing. I could gain some speed on flat but nothing on an incline. Turbo was much quieter than it generally would be in same situations.

Fuel mileage seamed to drop a lot. This trip I would normally average 10-12 mpg with a heavier load and more wind. This time I was in the 7-9 range.

I do not remember a noise or event on this trip I could point to like blowing a boot or seal. The factory gauges have generally normal numbers for what I was doing but performance was real bad. No smoke or fluids leaking. No overheating and no codes or check lights/warnings. Outside Temp was 72 and no rain. I haven’t drove without the trailer when we got home yet because I was/am so frustrated.

Can the factory gauges be lying and I have a leak somewhere? Surely not transmission related? Turbo sooted up that fast? Fresh oil and fuel filter change last week before trip. I assume the turbo and exhaust brake inter act on how/where the pressure is being held. I’m just trying to get an idea before I take to the dealer and they say nothing is wrong. I still have some factory extended warranty left and this would be the time to use it.

Sounds like your actuator that controls your VGT vanes is not working.

There have been numerous problems with that.

If you have warranty I would let them fix it.

Could be a turbo issue also. Keep us informed what you find out.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Turbo and Exhaust Brake Does Not Seem To Be Working

Following, agree it could be an actuator issue and your warranty is the most cost effective option.

Odd you are not seeing any trouble codes.

Please keep us updated.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kkroeker View Post

If it does end up being the actuator let me know.

We are a dealer for City Diesel's actuator.

Literally just a drop in unit.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189, Electrojake, cwendel liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DDP View Post
    If it does end up being the actuator let me know.

We are a dealer for City Diesel's actuator.

Literally just a drop in unit.
    Just want to give credit where credit is due.

You guys at Dudes diesel performance are always the first guys offering help/suggestions to everyone when they have an issue (on multiple forums).

I have personally purchased from you guys in the past and will again.

Class act... all the way.

Keep up the good work boys. .

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Dodge 2500 6 inch suspension lift 4 inch body lift sitting on 41's DPF delete Straight pipe turbo back twin stacks road armour front and rear bumpers mini max tuner...tuned by DOUBLE R DIESEL

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MRMAYHEM View Post
    Just want to give credit where credit is due.

You guys at Dudes diesel performance are always the first guys offering help/suggestions to everyone when they have an issue (on multiple forums).

I have personally purchased from you guys in the past and will again.

Class act... all the way.

Keep up the good work boys. .

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We greatly appreciate the kind words!

We definitely try to be as much as we can.

Sometimes we get a little behind but we always catch up and are normally never over 24 hours behind unless we just got swamped.

We will always be here for everyone even after hours to better serve you guys.

We greatly appreciate the business and look forward to earning it again soon my friend!

CHEERS!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Thanks MRMAYHEM, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Electrojake, MRMAYHEM, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Sounds like the actuator is on the way out.

It does not seed to set a code as the factory has some pretty big tolerances set in the tunes for it.

I can say the city diesel unit is top notch stuff.

Using it, you will experience a faster response, possibly more boost and more exhaust brake.

This is not a sales add but from an actual user.

The guys at the company are great and will help you with any problems you have.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    using Tapatalk

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post