Likes Likes:  179
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RUST

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: RUST

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    It's all ready for assembly.

Ran into a snag with the shrinker/stretcher. My back won't let me do it. All I have a 20ga. Heating it isn't a good idea because it will promote rust later. So I started a plan B which is not uncommon. I cut an arch and will just weld on a flange. The harder part will be attaching it to the inner. I already fudged up once, I don't need taking out my back more than it already is.

Can't see it so. . . . As long as i rust proof the hell out of it, it'll be fine.

Today's progress

Attachment 11014
    Looking good!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Making good progress @Polaraco

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg

4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Making good progress @Polaraco

Greg
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    I wish it were more.

I don't like how this is coming together.

But the ol' bod just won't let me do this right.

I hate patch work.

That and I keep screwing up on stuff I know better.

But it is what it is.

Good thing I have plenty of seam sealer. LOL

Today's nightmare. I have to remake the rear piece.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Thanks Power247, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

I'm stuck in a chair. Cant move

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Had you thought about inverting the cap and using it as a bed?

Here for updates!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Had you thought about inverting the cap and using it as a bed?

Here for updates!
    Smart a. . . . LOL

We're going to get 3 days of monsoons.

Not good welding weather.

I put the main part on, shrank it to the original inner and welded.

I coated the seam with All Metal to seal is from the inside.

That will get duplicated on the outside.

Threw some rust converter on it to keep the rust in check.

The last 6" piece is ready.

Once I get that in, I can prep to hang the panel.

It fits pretty good! Considering my handicaps, I was surprised.

While it's raining, I can get the Tig ready.

The potentiometer for the wire speed went bad on my Miller Mig.

Grrrrrr

11. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Well, the Monsoons never came. The inner is done.

The perimeter is all flanged.

I finished the last piece of the dogleg and sealed it with AllMetal.

I coated the inside with a generous coat of KBS Rust Seal.

I also did the inside of the patch panel.

So I guess, I'll start hanging the panel tomorrow.

Slow and easy.

Not my best work.

BTW that white stuff on the right side is Heat Fence.

It's used to reduce warpage.

DSCN1113.jpg

12. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

This is the last time anyone will ever see this unless it gets crashed.

Since my MiG is not working right, I just spot the panel on. Technically the panel should have a minimum of twice these spots. So tomorrow I'm going to fire up the Tig and fill in.

I was surprised at the matching of the dog leg. It's almost perfect!

I have to take the tire off and tend to sealing the outside with more All Metal and coat it with Rust Coat. When all that's done, I'll finish the outside.

I gotta tell you, this is killing my back. Thank goodness for Oxy's and CBD oil. LOL

13. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Nice work Polarco! I just had the rockers and cab corners done on mine. I turned it over to a co-worker who runs the paint shop where I work, as my metal working usually involves 1/8" to 2" + plate, sledge hammers, and 650 amp wire feed welders (that and I've never had the patience for doing the fine work required to do good body work !). The hammers and large wrenches being the reason I'm 12 days past my second rotator cuff surgery in five years. Hopefully you can get your health issues in order and back to the things you enjoy!

14. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBeard68 View Post
    Nice work Polarco! I just had the rockers and cab corners done on mine. I turned it over to a co-worker who runs the paint shop where I work, as my metal working usually involves 1/8" to 2" + plate, sledge hammers, and 650 amp wire feed welders (that and I've never had the patience for doing the fine work required to do good body work !). The hammers and large wrenches being the reason I'm 12 days past my second rotator cuff surgery in five years. Hopefully you can get your health issues in order and back to the things you enjoy!
    It would be better if the wire speed pot were working. The speed is too high. Lots of puddling and spatter. Have to be careful not to warp the sheetmetal. Tigging is slower. I want to get this thing done. I'm bringing my 62 New Yorker home so I can get some stuff done on that. I'll be selling the truck, maybe this fall. Whoever gets is will have a really good truck

15. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast