Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RUST

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: RUST

Quote Originally Posted by SwingBeefRacing View Post
    Flat bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    he won't. @Polaraco I will stop by tonight.

I think Kelly is making you a treat for the help last weekend with my charger.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SwingBeefRacing View Post
    Flat bed?

You give up too easy. Nope! Full treatment. Bought a patch panel for the outside, will shrink a piece for the inside and weld it all in. The joints will get seam sealer and full rust protection. Minimal plastic when done. Paint and polish. That's the plan. I have the paint, just out of clear. I bought the outside panel for 90 bucks, and have the shrink tools to make the piede on the inside. That's the challenge. I haven't made one of those pieces in decades. I've restored 3 rust buckets to new. Been there done that. And it will cost less than a flatbed

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    he won't. @Polaraco I will stop by tonight.

I think Kelly is making you a treat for the help last weekend with my charger.
    Bring the ramp.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    You give up too easy. Nope! Full treatment. Bought a patch panel for the outside, will shrink a piece for the inside and weld it all in. The joints will get seam sealer and full rust protection. Minimal plastic when done. Paint and polish. That's the plan. I have the paint, just out of clear. I bought the outside panel for 90 bucks, and have the shrink tools to make the piede on the inside. That's the challenge. I haven't made one of those pieces in decades. I've restored 3 rust buckets to new. Been there done that. And it will cost less than a flatbed
    Giving up on a nice flatbed is impossible so good luck with patching.

6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Moving forward. The inner wasn't as bad as I suspected.

I messed up, but I can save it.

I guess the piece slipped down in the front when I marked it and it's cut crooked.

I can save it pretty easily, it just pisses me off.

All I needed to do was clamp it a bit harder. Grrrrr

DSCN1099.jpg

DSCN1100.jpg

DSCN1098.jpg

I have a bunch to do before the patch panel goes on.

Keep ya posted

7. Top Of Page | #16
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Subscribe .....

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

You gonna lap weld or butt weld the panel?

If you're considering lap weld did u ever consider using panel bond instead of welding?

No wARP age and the panel bond will seal the joint up.

I've never used it but my buddy does restorations and collision repair.

We are going to use the panel bond inside on a couple seams that aren't accessible on the rear quarters on my 69 Chevelle.

He said a lot of new cars are panel bonded not welded from the factory.

Look at 3M 08115 panel bond.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

10. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
    You gonna lap weld or butt weld the panel?

If you're considering lap weld did u ever consider using panel bond instead of welding?

No wARP age and the panel bond will seal the joint up.

I've never used it but my buddy does restorations and collision repair.

We are going to use the panel bond inside on a couple seams that aren't accessible on the rear quarters on my 69 Chevelle.

He said a lot of new cars are panel bonded not welded from the factory.

Look at 3M 08115 panel bond.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I'm going to lap/Tig. I thought about the Panel Bond, but decided against it because this patch panel isn't perfect. Got a slight bow in it from shipping. Besides, I'm not waiting to get it. I'm all set up for lapping anyway.

I was just at the Paint supply and dropped $400. I have 3 cars of supplies now. Not to mention another $85 at KBS. That's a replenishment order.

12. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

It's all ready for assembly.

Ran into a snag with the shrinker/stretcher. My back won't let me do it. All I have a 20ga. Heating it isn't a good idea because it will promote rust later. So I started a plan B which is not uncommon. I cut an arch and will just weld on a flange. The harder part will be attaching it to the inner. I already fudged up once, I don't need taking out my back more than it already is.

Can't see it so. . . . As long as i rust proof the hell out of it, it'll be fine.

Today's progress

DSCN1103.jpg

13. Thanks watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

BTW, The area has been wire wheeled and coated with KBS rust converter. Tomorrow I'll brush on some Rust Seal

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast