Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  80
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine temp when towing or climbing hills

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Engine temp when towing or climbing hills

So, I originally had a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW deleted, with Cummins/Aisin that had duel radiators. When towing my coolant temps always stayed between 190-200, when towing our 5th wheel, approx 14k.

We decided to upgrade to a dually and traded for a 2015 Ram Cummins/68RE combo, undeleted. I screwed up major and assumed the truck came with Aisin, and a few days later discovered my mistake.

Anyway, now when pulling my fifth wheel, with my new truck. My coolant temp is approaching low 220s on hard climbs. I replaced my thermostat and had a coolant flush done, which didn't really help. We sold our 5th wheel in Grand Junction and loaded our stuff in a 6x12 uhaul trailer. When driving with the Uhaul trailer from Grand Junction to Denver, when pulling up the hills. I easily hit 214-218, with a few low 220s. The uhaul trailer can't be more than 3k in weight. But the truck temp was high, I felt like. Outside air temp was 50-60 degrees. New Thermostat is a 190. My fan is kicking on when I get to around 220, so that's good, but not sure about the temps I'm seeing? Can't imagine doing the same run at 90 or 100 outside temps.

Also one other tidbit to add, the truck came with a diesel fuel heater, like you would use on a semi? The unit is mounted back by the fuel tank, under the bed. It uses coolant as part of the system. So not sure if the added run of coolant lines could add issues for the cooling system? Just trying to figure out my engine temps. We are headed to MN to pickup our new toy hauler that will be even bigger and heavier than our last 5th wheel. Hence the switch to the DRW.

Any help or input would be appreciated.

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Thomas1960, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Engine temp when towing or climbing hills

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post
    So, I originally had a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW deleted, with Cummins/Aisin that had duel radiators. When towing my coolant temps always stayed between 190-200, when towing our 5th wheel, approx 14k.

We decided to upgrade to a dually and traded for a 2015 Ram Cummins/68RE combo, undeleted. I screwed up major and assumed the truck came with Aisin, and a few days later discovered my mistake.

Anyway, now when pulling my fifth wheel, with my new truck. My coolant temp is approaching low 220s on hard climbs. I replaced my thermostat and had a coolant flush done, which didn't really help. We sold our 5th wheel in Grand Junction and loaded our stuff in a 6x12 uhaul trailer. When driving with the Uhaul trailer from Grand Junction to Denver, when pulling up the hills. I easily hit 214-218, with a few low 220s. The uhaul trailer can't be more than 3k in weight. But the truck temp was high, I felt like. Outside air temp was 50-60 degrees. New Thermostat is a 190. My fan is kicking on when I get to around 220, so that's good, but not sure about the temps I'm seeing? Can't imagine doing the same run at 90 or 100 outside temps.

Also one other tidbit to add, the truck came with a diesel fuel heater, like you would use on a semi? The unit is mounted back by the fuel tank, under the bed. It uses coolant as part of the system. So not sure if the added run of coolant lines could add issues for the cooling system? Just trying to figure out my engine temps. We are headed to MN to pickup our new toy hauler that will be even bigger and heavier than our last 5th wheel. Hence the switch to the DRW.

Any help or input would be appreciated.
    I have a 2010 Cummins/68RFE dually combo. We’re full-time RVers and tow A LOT! This morning we pulled over Raton Pass at the NM/CO border. Ambient air temps were similar to yours. Saw 220 when the fan kicked on, and it went to 218. Stayed there for the remainder of the pull, then dropped when we started down into Trinidad. Towing 15k fiver. Tranny temp was 167. Truck is deleted and running 30 hp tune. On the flats, see 190-195 temps if little to no wind; 200-205 if a bit windy. Mostly tow in 5th gear unless on the flats with no wind. In my experience over six years of towing our rig lots of miles, what you’re seeing is probably normal. I’m sure others will chime in with lots more knowledge than I have soon.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

My 2014 temperatures are about the same as your 2014 were when I am pulling my 14K Fifth Wheel in similar conditions if that helps any.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

5. Thanks MightyZ, SyN thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

We are full timers as well! Thanks for the feedback, coming from my 2104 Ram with Dual Radiators, I never hardly ever seen my temps over 205. Once I hit 215-220 on the notorious climb to Yosemite. Your feedback makes me feel better about my truck. Thanks again!

7. Likes timshooter40, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input, my 2014 with dual radiators ran so much cooler, and with the aisin it was a beast!

9. Likes SyN, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Pardon my Ignorance on this matter: But was there only certain models / Years that received the dual radiators?

In my head I'm thinking ONLY the HD3500 were given this option?

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

11. Likes MightyZ, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Pardon my Ignorance on this matter: But was there only certain models / Years that received the dual radiators?

In my head I'm thinking ONLY the HD3500 were given this option?
    I believe it was only on the 2013/2014 trucks.

I know my 14 had duel radiators as, when pulling up to Yosemite, the stock plastic coolant Y split, and I had to have a Aluminum aftermarket speed shipped to me, so I could get back on the road.

13. Thanks SyN, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post
    I believe it was only on the 2013/2014 trucks.

I know my 14 had duel radiators as, when pulling up to Yosemite, the stock plastic coolant Y split, and I had to have a Aluminum aftermarket speed shipped to me, so I could get back on the road.
    Agreed, I believe the duals run 15-20F cooler than the singles when pulling in same conditions.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

15. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I know expensive - but swapping out to a aftermarket aluminum radiator - along with a higher quality (Lower Temp) thermostat would probably drop temps considerably as well - as possibly a good investment for a full time RVer or Hot Shot Ram.

I have never been a fan of these cheap dad gum plastic OEM side tank radiators.

Fan engaging around 220*F seems perfectly normal - From what I remember reading - Cummins likes these 6.7L to run quite abit warmer then previous years.

Possibly for all around better efficiency.

Maybe better off leaving as is and less hassle just by keeping a proper Coolant/H20 ratio & also keeping Good Coolant Maintenance.

Also Most don't think about - I placed a thick plastic fine mesh bug screen behind my grill (Zip tied Neatly to the Intercooler I believe) to keep bugs and debris (Over Time) from plugging up the fins & hampering air flow...

Ya I know - Hey SyN ya your Rambling so.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

17. Thanks MightyZ thanked for this post
    Likes MightyZ, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

OK - fresh data here.

Towed from Limon, Colorado to Cheyenne, Wyoming today. Ambient air temps ranged from 58 to 65 degrees.

15k fiver.

On I-70 West towards Denver, able to tow in 6th gear at 65 mph with south winds at 10-15 mph. Coolant temps ranged 190-195. EGT 825-875, tranny at 147.

Boost at 14-16 psi. Same for the first 30-40 miles once we picked up I-25 North, but, about 40 miles south of Cheyenne, wind shifted out of the north at 15-20 mph, the dreaded headwind.

Had to change to fifth gear.

Coolant temps ran 202-212 (not enough to engage the fan).

EGT 925-1085, tranny temp 150-167.

Boost 19-24 psi.

Couldn’t maintain 65 mph, probably averaged 60.

Hope this helps!

Bob

19. Thanks SyN, watersupply189, MightyZ thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast