Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  80
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine temp when towing or climbing hills

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Engine temp when towing or climbing hills

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post
    Well we towed the Uhaul trailer(3K roughly)from SW Denver to Rapid City, SD yesterday. Outside temps around 68-72. On flats engine temps around 196-202, with no A/C on. Any small hills to climb. Temps jumped to 208-214 on climb and slowly dropped off on descent and flats.

Once in Wyoming, wife got sick of wind noise and we put on the A/C. Temps jumped to 208-212 on flats, 214-218 on hills. Was not happy!

We stopped at a rest stop to let everyone use the restroom and stretch the legs and I decided I was gonna unplug my EGR and Throttle Valve, to see if that helped. I climbed up on the front tire and then onto the fender, carefully to reach the throttle valve plug. As I was reaching and working, I put my hand on the back, topside of the radiator. It was hot, but a light bulb went on.

I jumped down, pulled back the upper shroud, and holy smokes, I was an idiot. There was the front of the radiator, caked in cotton wood, dust, dirt and bugs! I had tried spraying down what I thought was the front of the radiator, many times in the last few stops. But that was only the A/C condenser! How did I mess that up!!!

Anyway, they had an RV dumpstation on site so I pulled over there, popped the hood, drank some of the black tank flush water(not) and sprayed the actual radiator down, dirt and debris rolled off onto the ground! Closed up the hood and hit the road. Engine temps with A/C on 190-194, flats, hills, didn't matter. We had one large climb and temp climbed to 202, and dropped to 192 at the top.

Needless to say, I found my issue! Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it made a few of you laugh, either with me or at me. But, maybe it will help someother sorry sucker who assumes, they know what they are looking at. To slow down and look again. Thanks for all of your help and insight everyone! Side note to add, Unplugged EGR didn't make a temp difference for me. Plugged it all back in at fill-up and temps stayed the same.
    @MightyZ That's awesome!

Glad you figured out the issue!

2010 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Big Horn 4x4, Yukon Gear & Axle YP C5-C11.5 Rear Diff Cover, A.R.E. V Series Truck Cap

2. Thanks MightyZ thanked for this post
    Likes MightyZ, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Pleased to hear you found and solved the problem. Safe travels!

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks MightyZ thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, watersupply189, MightyZ liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post
    So, my next question is, anyone have input on aluminum radiators? Obviously the Moshimoto would be great, but $760! XDP sells an aluminum one for under $300, but sometimes you get what you pay for, right! I tried searching the forums for radiator opinions, with no success. So any feedback would be great. We are headed out of Denver today with Uhaul trailer, headed towards SD. Will update on some temps this evening. Thanks again everyone!
    I had an Subaru Sti with 503whp and the factory radiator blew.

I replaced it with a nice aluminum triple core Mishimoto radiator.

The coolant temperatures dropped roughly 15 degrees.

Quality was excellent I would buy one for my Cummins in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thanks MightyZ, olyeller40 thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, watersupply189, MightyZ, olyeller40 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123